: The 10.25 Sterling Axles 3.07 Ratio Thread

BobS
10-15-2009, 08:58 AM
What are the wrecking yard source vehicles for this application?
10.25 sterling axle 3.07 front and rear axles.
What complete axle widths were available WMS to WMS?
What are the spring perch spacing and spring widths?
Were the front springs coil or leaf or was that dependent on the original application?

Ggg
10-15-2009, 10:19 PM
IIRC the Sterling was offered with a 3.07-7.17 gears and no case breaks. The Sterling was never made as a front differential. Truck years are 1983 -1997 F,E 250,350 2wd, 4x4. Some E series still used the Dana 60 but they are easily identified from a Sterling. 10.25 had drum braked and standard 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern. The 10.5 has disc brakes and metric BP.
There is also a light duty Sterling used in the light duty F250, or was it a HD F150. It is a semi float design and had 7 lug wheels, but for this conversation I will not reference that axle.
3/4 & 1 ton leafs were 3" wide, spring pads were 45" OC, SRW WMS is about 64" +-.
For comparison sake the Sterling is on par with a Dana 70 for strength. Same axle tube size as a D70 which is slightly bigger than a 14 bolt. A 14 bolt is considered stronger only due to the third pinion support bearing. Sterling 10.25 has the same size ring gear as a 14 bolt, the 10.5 is obviously bigger.

BobS
10-16-2009, 05:22 AM
Good info. I would imagine then the standard 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern would use the same wheels that fit both Ford & Dodge with the larger center hole but not the GM's with the same pattern but having the smaller center hole.

What front 4WD axle did Ford commonly use with the Sterling 3.07 rear axle?

Grigg
10-16-2009, 07:07 AM
This is an interesting thread..
The little bit of searching I did didn't turn up anything that had the 3.07 (or is it 3.08?) installed factory, may not have been popular?
Was it used in a new ford?
If so was it only in 2wd or also in 4wd?
Did ford make the 3.07 gears or are they only aftermarket?

greg morton
10-16-2009, 07:23 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300351012589&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have found that they made a 3.31 also but I have been looking for a set of 3.08s in a rearend for a while. When I get my 86 dually rearend home I will go with one of the gear set above.

enretamnotyep
10-16-2009, 07:45 AM
From what little research I did a while back, look for early diesel powered 2WD with a C-6 trans.

Ggg
10-17-2009, 02:20 AM
The more I think about it I believe 3.08 are aftermarket gears. I am trying to find out for sure.
BobS- Yes big pilot rims, but some GM rims can be made to fit easily. I have GM H2 aluminum rims on my Jeep TJ running Ford 1 ton axles and used a router with an edging bit (bearing on tip) to cut the pilot hole bigger, worked slick.;)
Just for clarity, on a 10.25 the center hole in the rim is technically not a pilot hole as it is only a clearance hole for the hub. The 10.25 uses lug-centric rims, the 10.5 does use hub-centric rims. So I would not use the above trick on any hub-centric rim.

Front axles were all Dana depending on year and chassis; D44hd, D50ttb, D50, D60, maybe one other I can't remember.

94iditurbo
10-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I was actually going to get on here to post a similar question so I will just ask it here.

I have a 94 f350 crewcab on a 90 f250 extended cab long bed drivetrain So basically its now a crewcab shortbed. It has the 7.3 idi engine and zf 5 speed transmission.

My biggest complaint is that is has 4.10 gears and is way too low for my needs and its pretty loud revving that high just going 55 or 60.

I thought about switching axles to get the 3.55 gears but want to just keep my axles and go to 3.08 and this is where I was hoping someone might be able to answer my question.

I found a aftermarket ring and pinion for the sterling rear but nothing for the front axle. I had two ideas:

1. Take a 3.07 front ttb axle from a f150 and see if where the carrier unbolts from the axle beam if it would bolt on my f250 beam.

2. Take a 78-79 Dana 44 HD axle from a F250 and regear it to 3.07 (My least favorite option because it will need a track bar bracket made, etc.)

Grigg
10-24-2009, 11:38 PM
What high gear ratio do you have now? Would a different transmission also be an option/solution?

If your option 1 and 2 are truly the only ones then #2 sounds like the better one by far. Or different yet a Dana 61 front with 3.07?

Grigg

94iditurbo
10-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I have the zf 5 so I have overdrive. I think its .76 or .77 can't remember. I don't know what the dana 61 axle comes on but I don't really want to put in a odd axle.

I am starting to strongly consider just getting the front and back axle out of a f150 or bronco that has 3.08 gears from the factory. The back one would bolt right in and would just need to switch yokes to fit my driveshaft.

The front one I could either just use the gears and put into a solid front axle dana 44 (I think?) or try to switch the axle pivot brackets from the f150 to my frame and adapt the beams so I can use my leaf springs.

I know this will leave me with a much lighter duty truck and 5 bolt wheels, etc. And the front axle isn't designed to hold the weight of the diesel, from what I found the diesel weighs around 920 dry but I found some places on line that say 1200 pounds but that didn't say accessories or dry or wet, etc. And the 302 or 351 gas engine is around 500 pounds. So I was thinking of trying to lose 300-500 pounds off the front to help out.

I think I would get great fuel mileage with this plus I have 94 IDI turbo engine that I plan to install at some time and that will help also.

I figure by the time I bought just the R&P for the 10.25 I have and bought an install kit, paid to have it installed in my axle I would have alot of money just right there. If I go factory parts I can find them all day long cheap. I found an entire truck with 3.08 gears for parts for $300

As far as losing weight on the front I was hoping someone has some ideas on that here is what I have now without getting too expensive:

1. relocate both batteries to the rear (kinda wanted to do this anyways)
2. fiberglass front bumper or aluminum but not sure if thats worth doing or not

Right now I am just getting ideas and will probably start sometime in January or February.

Ggg
10-25-2009, 11:29 PM
The F150 has a Dana 44 TTB it will not work in the F250 TTB which is a Dana 50. I don't think the 1/2 ton axles are a good choice.

Ggg
10-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Does anybody have a picture of a Detroit locker for a Sterling? I came across one but need to verify it is what they say it is. I did a lot of google searching but nothing that looks like what I have.

82f100swb
11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
The D44 TTB pumpkin will bolt to a D50 beam, so, yes, you can run a 3.07 geared front, but, you have to use 44 stuff.
Personally, I'd stick with 3.55's, 3.08's and the ZF with stock sized tires will put you down at 1500 at 60 mph, which is a little on the low side, not horrible though. The first gear in the diesel ZF is the killer though, it's only 4.14:1, that puts you at about 7mph in 1st gear at 1000 rpm, with an empty truck, it'd probably be ok, but, any kind of a load and it's just too much. I know that the 4.02:1 T19 and 3.55's behind a 6.9 is no fun at all with any kind of weight, and it's take off in 1st gear all the time with an empty truck.
A D61 is a non option, they are first gen Cummins truck axles, passengers drop, low pinion, and narrow.

As for a detroit for a sterling, here you go:

Ggg
11-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the site 92f100swb. Thanks for the info and picture.
I found out the 3.08 were aftermarket gears (Yukon) for the Sterling and are supposedly no longer available.

MaxPF
11-20-2009, 02:07 AM
For comparison sake the Sterling is on par with a Dana 70 for strength. Same axle tube size as a D70 which is slightly bigger than a 14 bolt. A 14 bolt is considered stronger only due to the third pinion support bearing. Sterling 10.25 has the same size ring gear as a 14 bolt, the 10.5 is obviously bigger.

Actually, the 14 bolt has a 10.5" ring gear. The 14 bolt R&P assembly is considered the strongest of the 3, but it is mostly academic - any of these axles will handle similar amounts of torque and will usually fail a shaft before the R&P fail. The D70U is noted for having small pinion bearings which can fail under continuous high loading.

Front axles were all Dana depending on year and chassis; D44hd, D50ttb, D50, D60, maybe one other I can't remember.

There's the rub - none of those axles will accept anything lower than a 3.54 gear set. The only Dana front axle that will accept a 3.07 gear is the passenger drop Dodge D61. No 1 ton drivers drop axle exists that will take a ratio that low, except for an aftermarket 609 hybrid. Supposedly the Dodge 61 can use D60 lockers, but I cant remember which side of the carrier break you need...

Welcome to the site 92f100swb. Thanks for the info and picture.
I found out the 3.08 were aftermarket gears (Yukon) for the Sterling and are supposedly no longer available.

Motive Gear still makes them according to DTS. The part # is F10.25-308. These gears are for the older short pinion spline axles. There was no listing for the newer long spline axles. Also, I wonder if the switch from short spline to long spline coincided with Fords switch to the goofy 8x170mm lug pattern? If so, it sounds like an older short spline axle would be the one a person would want anyway...

Also, just some tidbits I discovered since I am researching a similar dilemma: Yukon makes 3.21 gears for the 14 bolt FF. This is nice, since the most commonly available low gear for this axle is a 3.42. Also, since we know how the common 1 ton front drive axles are limited in numerically low gear availability, a good option for those who either have lots of money or can fabricate is a 609 hybrid. This is basically a heavy duty aftermarket 9" housing that uses D60 outer components. If you use an aftermarket 35 spline differential and make the tubes the proper length you can also use standard factory length D60 shafts. Buying one outright or building one with all new parts would be spendy, but if you have, say, an old D50 lying around to pillage the outer components off of (inner C's included - inner C's are time consuming to remove but not hard) and score a decent used set of shafts from a rockcrawler who has upgraded to chromos, you could build one for quite a bit less. Still not cheap, but certainly no more than buying and refurbishing a worn out D60. It has the huge advantage of almost limitless gear ratio availability :D

Ggg
11-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Per Motive gear they have not made that gear set (3.0x) in almost 6 years, DTS said it is no longer available. I have checked with several other gear mfg. and they confirmed they no longer make it if they ever did. The "second generation" Sterling with the longer pinion started as an option in 1993 and was normal production in 1994. The 3.07, and 3.31 are still available for the low pinion D44. The 3.07, 3.31, and 3.50 are all available for High pinion D44.
To get this back on the topic of Sterling axle info, According to three sources the short pinion can't be used in a long pinion housing, but a long pinion can be used in either housing.

MaxPF
11-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Hmm, maybe they should remove it from their website :D

nevrenufhp
01-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I've looked em up, and factory gears only went to a 3.31. I was thinking of using a Sterling or Dana 70 for my 67 to keep it as much Ford as possible. The rear disc sure sounded nice, until I saw they were metric bolt spacing. I'm sure that can be fixed. I'm a little leary of running no OD and 3.31 gears on smallish tires.