: 4b1dt into Lincoln Navigator

coletrain777
12-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Hey all,
Haven't been on here in a while as I haven't bought an engine (yet). Anyway, I am looking for some feedback on a possible swap vehicle and have a few questions. I am looking at a 2000 Lincoln Navigator as the transplant vehicle. We had an 01' Navigator and really loved it, but we hated the mpg so we sold it. Anyway, I have a few questions that I don't know the answer to:

1. The Navigator weighs in at 5500 lbs curb weight (probably around 5850 with the 4bd1t in it). It is 4wd with an automatic. If I drive conservatively mostly highway around 60 mph do you think 25-26 mpg is attainable?

2. Does anyone make an adapter to mate the 4bd1t to the Ford 4R100 (essentially the same as the E4OD)? This would make the swap much easier.

3. If I place the 4bd1t in an almost 6K lb vehicle, do some pump tweaking (with an egt), and other performance mods, what do you think the vehicle would be capable of towing semi comfortably? I live in a very flat area so hills are no problem.

4. The stock Navigator drivetrain make 300hp at 5500 rpms and 375 ft/lb torque at 2750 rpm. How do you think the that the 4bd1t would compare in towing applications, and in normal driving applications both stock and modded for performance?

5. Navigators have 4 corner air bag setups (that really aren't problematic if you understand how to work on them). I would think that the self leveling system would easily make up for the extra weight of the isuzu engine, do you think I am correct in that thinking?

Sorry for all the questions but some of you can answer these much better than I can. Also, the reason I asked about towing a few times was because I hauled cars all the time with my other Navigator (8-9K lbs all the time cross country) and it did a GREAT job doing it. In fact it did it almost as well as my 1994 7.3 turbo diesel. I would just like to know what this engine is capable of in a heavier vehicle like the Navigator.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
12-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Navigators have 4 corner air bag setups (that really aren't problematic if you understand how to work on them). I would think that the self leveling system would easily make up for the extra weight of the isuzu engine, do you think I am correct in that thinking?

i still would prefer to use reinforced springs...

coog
12-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I think it's a great idea.I had a dream about a swap in an Excursion.carcrafter22 is working on some auto adapters that might work for you.I would think 25 mpg is do-able, since I do better than that in my Ford E350. If towing is a priority, take a look and see if you have room for a 6bd1t.A great engine.

carcrafter22
12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey all,
Haven't been on here in a while as I haven't bought an engine (yet). Anyway, I am looking for some feedback on a possible swap vehicle and have a few questions. I am looking at a 2000 Lincoln Navigator as the transplant vehicle. We had an 01' Navigator and really loved it, but we hated the mpg so we sold it. Anyway, I have a few questions that I don't know the answer to:

1. The Navigator weighs in at 5500 lbs curb weight (probably around 5850 with the 4bd1t in it). It is 4wd with an automatic. If I drive conservatively mostly highway around 60 mph do you think 25-26 mpg is attainable?

I will guess 20-23mpg with normal driving in stop and go traffic and a little highway

2. Does anyone make an adapter to mate the 4bd1t to the Ford 4R100 (essentially the same as the E4OD)? This would make the swap much easier.

Someone will be as soon as they can get the bolt pattern and some measurements for converter depth

3. If I place the 4bd1t in an almost 6K lb vehicle, do some pump tweaking (with an egt), and other performance mods, what do you think the vehicle would be capable of towing semi comfortably? I live in a very flat area so hills are no problem.

The vehicle will still tow its max rated capacity with no problem

4. The stock Navigator drivetrain make 300hp at 5500 rpms and 375 ft/lb torque at 2750 rpm. How do you think the that the 4bd1t would compare in towing applications, and in normal driving applications both stock and modded for performance?

It will be a little slower but with the right mods it will perform better than the gasser ever could

5. Navigators have 4 corner air bag setups (that really aren't problematic if you understand how to work on them). I would think that the self leveling system would easily make up for the extra weight of the isuzu engine, do you think I am correct in that thinking?

No idea since I have never messed with them

Sorry for all the questions but some of you can answer these much better than I can. Also, the reason I asked about towing a few times was because I hauled cars all the time with my other Navigator (8-9K lbs all the time cross country) and it did a GREAT job doing it. In fact it did it almost as well as my 1994 7.3 turbo diesel. I would just like to know what this engine is capable of in a heavier vehicle like the Navigator.

I have been trying to talk the wife into letting me buy her a 2000-2002 tahoe so I can swap a 4bd into it, so far she loves her 09 camry way too much.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
12-13-2009, 03:40 PM
I had a dream about a swap in an Excursion.

i've seen some f550-based excursion replicas in brazil with 4bt... excursion was never avaliable as a regular offer, but some replicas are still being made using f250, f350 and most rarely f550 frames... brazilian versions of f250, f350 and f550 (offered as f4000) are currently offered only with cummins engines... the f350 and f550 are offered with a 120hp 4bt badged as euromecIII and the f250 with a 203hp 4cyl 16-valve common-rail badged as maxpower...

coletrain777
12-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, keep the info/ideas coming.

Randy,
I have been watching your build since it started on Fordification a few years back. I would love to be able to get together some time and just talk ideas and learn. I was also going to ask you if you needed any parts for your F100 (as far as body parts etc...) I have 6 of them and probably won't do anything with most of them. I would love to trade parts for knowledge on your end, or diesel swap parts (just a thought;).

Anyway, keep the advice coming!

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
...in brazil...

http://www.tropicalcabines.com.br/adm/arquivos/12039461612.jpg

http://www.tropicalcabines.com.br/adm/arquivos/1243021297dsc09571.jpg

http://www.tropicalcabines.com.br/adm/arquivos/120394633711.jpg

http://www.tropicalcabines.com.br/adm/arquivos/1260359987dsc04760.jpg

http://www.tropicalcabines.com.br/adm/arquivos/120394634713.jpg

the excursion replicas i told before...

carcrafter22
12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, keep the info/ideas coming.

Randy,
I have been watching your build since it started on Fordification a few years back. I would love to be able to get together some time and just talk ideas and learn. I was also going to ask you if you needed any parts for your F100 (as far as body parts etc...) I have 6 of them and probably won't do anything with most of them. I would love to trade parts for knowledge on your end, or diesel swap parts (just a thought;).

Anyway, keep the advice coming!

Hey sounds like we need to be neighbors LOL. Shoot me a pm if you need help with anything, I dont mind helping out.