Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

93 Ranger 4x4 auto

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Red Stroke 
#1 ·
I have a 4bt with a Ford adapter to a T19. I have a line a 93 Ford Ranger 4x4 with an auto. Whats the best way to go with the tranny?

#4 ·
Yeh I read the sticky's quite frequently and do numerous searches. I was mainly just looking for opinions and any experiences anyone might feel like sharing. My search didn't reveal your second link though, so, thanks.

The reason the search doesn't always pick up the most relevant results is that it by default lists the results from newest to oldest. Try an advanced search, and set it to display the results most relevant to least relevant. Or you can search this site using google with much better luck: say you want to search for 93 ranger 4BT transmissions- type "93 ranger 4BT transmissions site:4btswaps.com". And there you go, 519 hits!

I personally love the ZF5 in my ranger. It shifts extremely smoothly. I don't know what else to say. It's awesome. the down side- it's heavy and big and expensive compared to an M5R2.

Chris

#5 ·
i went with the nv4500 just for its easy of adapting to the 4bt. i mean the lack of adapting. it just uses off the shelf dodge parts stock flywheel and clutch. however the transmission is expensive according to some you might ask. i got my zero mile trans for 1000.00 delivered with a 12 month 12k mile warrenty.

#6 ·
My ZF5 was $1000 even, fresh rebuild. Ford flywheel and adapter were $150 and $80, ford 11" clutch and both bearings was $130, slave cylinder was about $65. If you want to stick with ford stuff and make use of the adapter you have, you could get the M5R2 for a lot cheaper than the ZF, it would still be plenty strong for a stock 4BT.

As omegalpha82 stated, the dodge setup would definitely be easier to source as it is more common, and it would probably be a bit cheaper than the ZF.

#7 ·
You guys just prefer manual transmissions, or is there another reason you are using the zf 205 combo.

I drive in a fair amount of traffic and dont like shifting all the time and have had good luck with my 47rh 241 DHD combo with my 6bt so I am leaning towards this same combo for a 4bt.

#8 ·
Personally I do prefer manual transmissions. But there's more to it than that. First, if you want to run a ford transmission and transfer case, and don't want to spend $'s and $'s, the best option is to get the ford small block adapter and flywheel setup from a bread van. With this pattern though, you are pretty much stuck with manual transmission such as M5R1 and ZF5, unless you want an automatic that won't last behind your diesel. As far as the NP205 it's pretty bulletproof, and fits extremely well between the narrow frame rails of a small truck, and most can be easily found for under $100.

#9 ·
Ok on my 79 conversion I used a 4R100 and a NP205, and we snapped the output shaft off the 205 sled pulling. The output is pretty small and prob the weak point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.