Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

BMW 2.4 TD into a FJ 40

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Yorker 
#1 ·
I have recently purchased a '67 FJ 40 which currently has a SB Chevy/auto installed. the truck is pretty nice, without any appreciable rust, drips or errors. I also have a brand new, never run BMW 2.4 ltr. turbo diesel that my father bought at auction a few years ago when a RV company that was putting these engines into their RV's went out of business. This is the same engine that Ford put into the Lincoln Continentals in the mid 70's. It currently has a ZF 5 sp. manual transmission mated to it.

Is there anyone on this form with experience or advice about mating these two?

Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Machine

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would be surprised if anyone has done this swap before.I think you might get lucky, because Ford (at least) used a 5 speed ZF with transfer case in their 4wd trucks.Have you been able to find out what else this engine was used in? I remember the RV's these came in...Vixen(?) i thought they were cool.Big bucks!

#4 ·
COOG,

Do you know which Ford trucks these trans/TC combinations came in?

Here is a link to a brief history blurb on the Vixen motorhomes. They were ahead of their time:

vixenrv.com/vixen_history.php

These engines were also put in a 5 series BMW sedan from 82-86, so you do see them for sale once in a while.

These engines were rated at 114 HP and 162 ft/lbs of torque. Seems like it should be a good fit in the FJ.

#10 ·
Looks like it is missing a few pieces but nice find.

Ford used a ZF in all F150, F250, F350 and broncos from like '87 on.

Don't know what tail shaft your tranny has, but there are plenty of intermediate housings and 1356 transfer cases laying around that should bolt right on there.

We have the same engine with a 4 spd auto. We are either putting it in an early bronco or a bronco II.
We also have on in a lincoln. Not a bad engine. Pretty easy to turn the power up and still get great mileage.
they are very quiet engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.