Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Question about using F-700 6BT airconditioning system in '96 Ford Bronco 4BT swap

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ford4x4-JD70AB 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, as per averagef250's suggestion in other threads, yesterday I tracked down a mid-90's F-700 with a 5.9L 12V Cummins with AC. This is the cleanest way to mount an AC compressor in a 80-96 F-series that I've seen. It runs the compressor off the serpentine belt and mounts the compressor between the alternator and the 3 bolt holes which my motor mount brackets are using. Looks really nice, and I hope I can make it work for me.

The one I looked at had a flat bracket that was part of the lower water hose neck which was using the 3 bolt holes on the block that my 300 motor mount brackets will be using. The stuff was pretty expensive, and there are no returns, so I wanted to be sure that I was buying the right stuff before taking it home with me.

Could anyone whose used the setup provide a picture of the finished product and a quick explanation of which brackets they used from the F-700, particularly how the P-side motor mount bracket and lower water hose neck work or don't work together and what to use instead?

#2 ·
The bracket I was looking at yesterday is the one pictured below which I borrowed from CrewCab59's thread http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?13423-4bt-pics

CrewCab's pictures show that the bracket is one piece and clearly conflicts with the Ford 45* motor mount brackets that I'm using, also pictured below. In another thread, averagef250 said that he'd used a similar AC mounting setup in an 80-96 F-series with the same motor mounting that I'm using. Is there another compressor mount similar to the one pictured below which doesn't conflict with the Ford 300 motor mounts that averagef250 could be referring to?

Pictured below is the passenger-side Ford 300 motor mount bracket, the AC compressor mid mount on the block and then one by itself (which I believe to be out of a Ford F-700 6BT).

Doesn't look too difficult to combine my mount with the bracket, but if there is another bracket out there that works without modification, I'd prefer to try tracking that down before modding this stuff.

Attachments

#3 ·
I'm not positive but the belt tensioner plate might be into the frame. One hole is a thru hole the other is a tapped hole. Might be able to angle plate up and redrill/tap holes for tensioner to bring it back to proper positioning(or relocate altogether).

#4 ·
This bracket look very similar if not identical to the Dodge AC adapter for the 12 valve. If you want the ac in the stock Ford location contact the guys at GOS Performance. On their web site gosperformace.com they show a bronco with a 12 valve installed. It has the most beautiful ac mounting bracket I've ever seen. This thing is a work of art. They specialize in diesel conversions. Have no clue what the thing might cost. It's not in their regular catalog. Just have to contact them.

#6 ·
The difference in the dodge version and the Med duty mid mount is where the compressor is located.

The dodge compressor is mounted below thw water neck .The Med duty mid mount compressor is mounted above the water neck. The belt tensioner is also location is different as well to get the right belt wrap which is the # 1 problem with the A/C mounts I see.

Scott

#7 ·
The tensioner should be right above your frame and as we talked on the phone the engine mount would fit on on the outside of the A/C bracket . The water necks can be changed to your needs ,I started to cut the neck flanges so no more problems with high priced Cummins cast necks.

Scott

#8 ·
I have the F-700 bracket as well. I haven't installed it yet because I wonder how the engine mount will fit on the outside of the bracket (I'm currently using the front three holes for my engine mounts). I think to use the ford a/c bracket and engine mount, the brace that comes down from the water pipe flange woud have to be trimmed. Even after that, the surface isn't flat. Maybe this wouldnt cause any issues but I dont know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.