Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

4bt swap into a 05 2wd ford ranger, got question need answers

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  khaoskustoms 
#1 ·
so im looking into putting a 4bt into my 05 2wd ranger, i know i will have to beef up the frontend with some type of ifs kit, or duby axle, what will work the best.
also planing on putting a ford 9in in the rear with a 4.10 gear
but i have no clue on the trans that would work well under the truck for just 2wd.
will i have to get a new wirering harness for the truck.
i kno the job will cost a couple thousand but im trying to plan what im in for, with a better understanding so im not jumping into a mess.
thanks

#3 ·
here goes, you will not need to get a new harness, simply cut out what is not needed. You will need new gauges, and run power to the ignition and starter, not hard. will need new custom engine mounts, tranny crossmember. As far as the front end, get springs out of a early ford bronco and cut them to the lenght you need. They should fit into your stock spring buckets and are strong enough to hold the weight.

#4 ·
Stock buckets will work for the weight! you will have to bend down the tabs, but everything else will hold the weight. I personally would look into some shocks for a lowered F-150 also, just as a precaution. I would run a chevy turbo 400 unless you need overdrive, then look into a 700R4. both will need new crossmember, however, only the 700 will need a stand alone computer. Many 4bt's came with turbo 400's and they are nearly bulletproof.

#5 ·
Taller gears, 4.10s too low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.