Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Newbie Looking for advice/ Info 4BT into 78 F150 4x4

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  puebla 
#1 ·
Hello, New to this forum and would like to introduce myself and see if I can get some info for planning a 4BT swap. I've been a heavy equipment/ truck mechanic for 20+ years and have played with all things automotive my entire life so this is not beyond my capabilities since I also have fabrication skills. I own a nice '78 F150 4x4 that currently has the original 351M, 435 4 speed trans and NP 205 transfer. I have been researching transmission swaps and have decided I want to put in a ZF 5 speed and mate it to my NP 205. I was thinking I wanted to find a ZF that was from behind a 460, that way I could install it behind my 351M and continue to drive the truck until I got a 4 BT located and ready to swap in. After doing some research into swapping in a 4 BT I'm not so sure thats the way to go. Looks to me it would require buying an $800 adapter. I guess what my question really is, is this: Since I haven't got the ZF or the 4BT yet, what combo of parts should I start looking for to get this put together as economically as possible? Correct me if I'm wrong but I now think I'm looking for a 4BT out of a Grumman with the Ford 4speed and a ZF out of a 6 cyl or small block Ford. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long-winded post.

#2 ·
How about an auto?

I've got a 79 Bronco with 351M/c6, my flexplate just went this past week so I figured now's as good a time as any for the 4bt swap. I'm planning on sticking with the c6 because I do enough shifting all damn day, I'm a truck driver. From what I've seen it's an easy swap with the 4bt/c6, so I'll stick with that.
You might be able to go with one of the sae bell housings, I've seen the info on here before, hell, being as you're a mechanic make yourself a suitable adapter. You do have access to welders, presses,etc., or have a freind at a machine shop. Like you said, it's not whether you're able to do it or not, it's just COST.
Measure the shafts on both trannies, teeth, length, splines, and all, maybe you can go that route for an adapter. Maybe you can make one from 1/4 or 3/8 plate, with the 4bt bolt pattern and the trans bolt pattern, with a spot for the starter where it needs to be.
I'm just thinking out loud now, throwing stuff out there, you know there's a way to do it with what you know, you might even have something laying around the shop you can use.
Hell, grab a clutch alignment tool for the trans you want to use and the 4bt and look at how they're different.
Good luck, and have fun. Hope I gave you some ideas that are useful.

#3 ·
Sounds like a good plan to do it in stages. The ZF would be a great option. Should bolt right up to the transfer case and current engine. Not sure about the overall length though. May require resizing drive shafts. You'll just need to measure. At the same time you will need to set up the hydraulic clutch system. The big block and diesel ZF's have external slave cylinders so they are much easier to maintain. The small block units have a combo slave/release bearing. Have to disassemble everything to replace one. The one big expense you will have when it comes time for the cummins is the adapter plate. The guys at Destroked have the best and you're looking at $795. If you ever see one of those in person you'll know why it cost so much. It is a work of art and it fits. It uses a Ford 6.0 diesel starter which you can get very cheap. If you're a master machinist you might make your own but I couldn't so I wound up with one. When it comes time for the 4bt you may find motor mounts fairly simple if you can finds a set of Ford cube van mounts and 6 cyl Ford engine stands. Some guys say its almost a bolt in operation. Your current radiator should be more than adequate. 4bt's seem to be a bit cold natured and suffer from overcooling. Wiring won't be too bad. Need a few adapters to install your Ford temp and oil pressure senders. Need to plan on a tach, boost, and exhaust temp gauges. There will be a lot of little things that will crop up but this should make a great build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.