: 4bt into 93 gmc

dan
11-02-2007, 01:23 AM
am looking for info on what is needed, parts and modification wise, to swap a 4bt from a chevy auto bread van I have,into a 93 gmc 4x4 5spd 454 crewcab dually,my goal is to only remove the 454 and add the 4bt,the truck is not used for towing,thanks

Steelhorse
11-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Use the search function to look for specific topics you need info for.

From what you're saying though, you'll most likely need to swap clutch housings. Also take into consideration a new or new-used furl tank and fuel lines/water seperator. You'll also have a lot of wiring to remove/splice.

Also, not sure about Canada's regulations, but check what emissions standards you have to adhere to.

darkangel
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
That's the swap that I did, except my truck was a 2wd with an auto...

Pretty much, you've got a drop in swap. Pull out the 454, bypass the in-line fuel pumps, drop in the 4bt, fabricate your engine mounts, fixup your gauges, alt, hot wire to fuel cut off.

Toughest thing in your swap will be fabricating your mounts, and mounting your A/C compressor. I'm hanging mine off the geartrain case beside the Injection pump.

Now, I may be missing something due to the 4wd, can someone speak for that?

DarylB
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Single posters with easy to answer questions get a picture:happyfinger:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/dwbussell/mosesknows2.jpg

If you cant read the FAQ try

http://www.7thwc.com/images/clients/hooked_on_phonics.jpg

or

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/dwbussell/clint-eastwoodSearch.jpg

ncovey
11-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Reshape the oil pan,

use the bread truck motor mounts,

keep the slant( it will help with clearance by the oil pan and front diff

use 89-93 dodge w/cummins isolators,

measure the distance from the 5-spd bell housing,

drill new holes in the frame for isolator studs,

use the 4bt flywheel and clutch set,

just disconnect the power to the fuel pump(it will draw fuel through it)after using it to purge all of the gas from the tank,

connect starter wires to the 4bt starter,

use keyed 12v from chevy ignition to fuel shut off solenoid,

connect wires for 4bt alternator to truck,

cut down downpipe from 4bt in bread truck to length needed to clear the floor board of the truck,

connect straight pipe to down pipe to continue back towards rear axle,

if sure tank is empty of gas, completely fill tank with diesel to dilute any remaining gas,

there may be a few things different that you might need to do different for your conversion, but that is the basic conversion I did. It took me approximately 40hrs to do my swap-Nicholas

HardCharger
11-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Reshape the oil pan,

use the bread truck motor mounts,

keep the slant( it will help with clearance by the oil pan and front diff

use 89-93 dodge w/cummins isolators,

measure the distance from the 5-spd bell housing,

drill new holes in the frame for isolator studs,

use the 4bt flywheel and clutch set,

just disconnect the power to the fuel pump(it will draw fuel through it)after using it to purge all of the gas from the tank,

connect starter wires to the 4bt starter,

use keyed 12v from chevy ignition to fuel shot off solenoid,

connect wires for 4bt alternator to truck,

cut down downpipe from 4bt in bread truck to length needed to clear the floor board of the truck,

connect straight pipe to down pipe to continue back towards rear axle,

if sure tank is empty of gas, completely fill tank with diesel to dilute any remaining gas,

there may be a few things different that you might need to do different for your conversion, but that is the basic conversion I did. It took me approximately 40hrs to do my swap-Nicholas

Nice first post Nicholas

You get a :beer:

ncovey
11-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks, I have been lurking for some time, I just finally had something useful to contribute-Nicholas

dan
11-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Mike did you use your 454 bellhousing and a chev nv4500

darkangel
11-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Na, I used a dodge nv4500, with a dodge gas input shaft (so i could use a standard chevy clutch / pressure plate), and an advanced adapters adapter to adapt to a sm465 bellhousing (already had it).

My nv4500 came from an 84 chevy crew with a 454 that someone had put the 5 speed in, but it would have been very nice if my truck had already been a 5 speed. it would have made the clutch throwout ALOT simpler.

LincTex
11-03-2007, 10:18 AM
just disconnect the power to the fuel pump(it will draw fuel through it)

I would NOT recommend anyone do that. You can kill your injection pump if fuel flow isn't sufficient. The electric pump is a big restriction.

ncovey
11-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Last time I checked, I had about 7 psi fuel pressure, and it runs great. I suppose you could look at it as a restriction, but no more power than this thing is making, I figured 7psi would be sufficient. Is my thinking wrong on this?-Nicholas

LincTex
11-04-2007, 07:07 AM
maybe that one is really worn out and the clearances are loose (high mileage?)