: Best Chevy Swap 73-87 or 88-98?

clarkwgriswald
11-10-2007, 12:54 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase a 4bt bread van with a TH400. I have not chosen a pickup to swap it into yet. I would prefer 4WD but would settle for 2WD if the swap was less of a headache. I have found 2 candidates: 1) 91 K1500 5 speed manual and 2) 80 K10 TH350. Now assuming I have the complete 4BT/TH400, what other parts are needed bolt it up to a GM 5 speed?.....just a fly wheel? And with the TH350, I assume that the TH400 torque converter will bolt up to a TH350, any other modifications necessary? Will the P30 Frame Mounts bolt up to either the 73-87 or 88-98 style or will they need to be modified? What about the oilpan...any need to modify it to clear the crossmember? Any thing else to consider?

DarylB
11-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase a 4bt bread van with a TH400. I have not chosen a pickup to swap it into yet. I would prefer 4WD but would settle for 2WD if the swap was less of a headache. I have found 2 candidates: 1) 91 K1500 5 speed manual and 2) 80 K10 TH350. Now assuming I have the complete 4BT/TH400, what other parts are needed bolt it up to a GM 5 speed?.....just a fly wheel? And with the TH350, I assume that the TH400 torque converter will bolt up to a TH350, any other modifications necessary? Will the P30 Frame Mounts bolt up to either the 73-87 or 88-98 style or will they need to be modified? What about the oilpan...any need to modify it to clear the crossmember? Any thing else to consider?

For simplicity's sake the 1980 would be easier, since it's got a live axle up front and not IFS.

turbos10
11-10-2007, 09:05 PM
You gotta go with the old truck just for the cool factor. The 80's with straight axle will hold up and make a better all around truck. I would plan on a 4" suspension lift at a minimum for pan clearance. You will also have to either modify or replace the engine cross member; it has to be lower.

clarkwgriswald
11-14-2007, 09:05 PM
ttt....Anyone Swap a 4BT into a Chevy 4X4?

charlie
11-14-2007, 09:39 PM
I am

whiteman
11-14-2007, 09:51 PM
charlie,
what kind of problems have you ran into that someone that is thinking of doing this should be ready for?

CrewCab59
11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
ttt....Anyone Swap a 4BT into a Chevy 4X4?

1973 - 2000 a lot of years ,which one are you talking about?

clarkwgriswald
11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
From the title of the thread, I am mainly looking at either the 73-87 or 88-98 body style. I've done quite a bit of searching and have found some useful bits of information but still have some remaining questions:

If the pickup has a 5 speed and the breadvan a TH400; what do I need, aside from the correct fly wheel, to bolt the 4bt up to the 5 speed?

Are the breadvan frame mounts a direct bolt-on or do they need to be modified?

Will a 3 inch lift take care of the oil pan to differential clearance issue?

What else do I need to consider prior to initiating the swap?

DarylB
11-15-2007, 11:51 AM
From the title of the thread, I am mainly looking at either the 73-87 or 88-98 body style. I've done quite a bit of searching and have found some useful bits of information but still have some remaining questions:

If the pickup has a 5 speed and the breadvan a TH400; what do I need, aside from the correct fly wheel, to bolt the 4bt up to the 5 speed?

Have you read the FAQ & buildup thread section? Are you familiar with chevrolet bolt patterns? You never specified which body style you were gonna use: The solid axle & IFS are two different issues altogether.

http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076

clarkwgriswald
11-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Have you read the FAQ & buildup thread section?

Yes, I have, lots of good information there but I'm left with a few questions.......

CrewCab59
11-15-2007, 11:57 AM

To mount up the 5 spd you need the Gm / Cummins adapter ,flywheel bolts starter and bolts and still will need the hyd parts if you plan to do that .The Gn manual parts are hard to come by.

The Gm Van 's have 2 different styles of mounts both will just bolt in.
The a 3'' will be fine ,but the engine crossmenber in the 73 91 will have to be replaced or made to work .The 88-2000 IFS trucks will depend on the mounts and how you set the engine in place ,no need to lift them.

Need to plan ahead ,have the tools ,will be fab work ,have extra money set back . ect .

Scott

DarylB
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM

Depends on the 5 speed. Probably a clutch/pressure plate at the least. Most folks dont run a chevy 5 speed due to parts availability. The dodge/ford manuals seem to be the way to go (heavily discussed)

From what I've read the only drop-in, little or no-modding required is on Ford frames. So you'll have to modify.

You never stated which bodystyle you were going to run. This is really vague, it depends on how you mount the engine & whether or not you've got a solid axle up front.

Cost, purpose, practicality, time, labor, etc.