: Ford bell housing - diesel vs gas

jellydonut
01-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Hey guys

I know GM's bell housings match up, so that a Duramax swap into certain GM cars is made somewhat easier, and a swap to a lighter, more 'car friendly' gearbox is possible, hence all these Chevelle 'maxes rolling around.

My question is, does Ford have any diesels that match with their 'Modular Engine' bell housing pattern used by the Triton, Boss, V10, etc etc? Any of the newer Powerstrokes?

I was thinking about a former patrol crown vic with a diesel swap, would be pretty cool I think. It uses the 'Modular Engine'.

4x4_Welder
01-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't know if there is a point to that- Any transmission that was strong enough to handle the PSDs was available in that bellhousing. Besides, most of the electronics stuff on these was so integrated that it would be a major headache to try and run another transmission. A 7.3 with an E4OD or a 6.0 with a 5R110 would be a good fit in that car (besides the weight issue).

jellydonut
01-24-2012, 04:52 AM
I suppose not, no. It's just that I saw some people using smaller GM boxes in place of the huge Allison to save weight, and thought that was a good idea.

I was hoping that a non-electronic older transmission would be compatible, and in that case mating it to a PSD and converting it to mechanical injection for the sake of simplicity.

I suppose a complete swap with all the electronic mishmash would paradoxically be simpler.

DieselSchlepper
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Gasser belhousings are smaller on the Fords like the ZF s650 and can't accomodate the 13 inch flywheel and if you try and use a diesel adaptor the starter won't match the ring gear.

Roostre
02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Not sure its entirely relevant, but for the sake of some future searcher...

The gasser Ford Big block bellhousing commonly found on transmissions behind 460's is only slightly different then the Diesel bellhousing. It will bolt up and be centered except for the bolts on each side- they are off by only 1/4" or so. Many people have successfully "expanded" the holes into slots and swapped between the two.

DieselSchlepper
02-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Not sure its entirely relevant, but for the sake of some future searcher...

The gasser Ford Big block bellhousing commonly found on transmissions behind 460's is only slightly different then the Diesel bellhousing. It will bolt up and be centered except for the bolts on each side- they are off by only 1/4" or so. Many people have successfully "expanded" the holes into slots and swapped between the two.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention, the 460 is the only gasser exception and should accommodate the 13 inch flywheel. The big issue is getting the starter to mesh with the ring gear. The other V8 and V10 flywheels can be made to bolt up too, but are too small.

4x4_Welder
02-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Did not know that, thanks for posting. I have also heard that the early (like 83 only or maybe 83 and 84) Ford/IH diesels used the 460 bell, but can't confirm that right now. After that, they got their own bellhousing pattern.

Ggg
02-10-2012, 07:39 PM
IIRC the V10 is the same as a 6.0 PSD.

Roostre
02-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Did not know that, thanks for posting. I have also heard that the early (like 83 only or maybe 83 and 84) Ford/IH diesels used the 460 bell, but can't confirm that right now. After that, they got their own bellhousing pattern.

Nope. They are the same as the other Ford 7.3L diesels. I have one in my garage right now.

DieselSchlepper
02-11-2012, 06:43 AM
IIRC the V10 is the same as a 6.0 PSD.

Can you confirm? My research shows that the V10 is too small like the other gassers.

ben2go
02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
This kind of answers my question.I was thinking about the turbo charged IDI 93-95 7.3 into my 90 Blue Max Cougar.I prefer a four speed auto like the car's current 4r70w.The only manual with enough shifter set back is the manual found in Cougars and T-birds from 91-93,the Mazda m5r2.It is very different than the truck version m5r2.I really don't want to have to cut my firewall and floor to squeeze in a crappy three speed auto.It's a unibody car so it would be a pain to keep it all together.The build would be for economy,low WVO cost,and a long lasting drive train.I tried going the om617 route, but they are hard to find around here, and getting stupidly expensive.

fordman2121
02-20-2012, 04:38 PM
The 6.0l and 6.4l diesel do share the same bellhousing as the modular 4.6l, 5.4 and 6.8. I also belive that the 6.7l is the same as the mod, but cant confirm. And like stated above the 460 and 7.3 are close.

DieselSchlepper
02-24-2012, 08:52 AM
The 6.0l and 6.4l diesel do share the same bellhousing as the modular 4.6l, 5.4 and 6.8. I also belive that the 6.7l is the same as the mod, but cant confirm. And like stated above the 460 and 7.3 are close.

The gas bell housings will NOT accomodate a 13" flywheel, so the adaptor will not allow the starter to mesh. The 460 may work with some filing of the holes.