Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

VE dynamic timing....

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  xechcorx 
#1 ·
So umm not all bread vans had dynamic timing on VE pumps?

I never really paid much attention to it previously because i was thinking one less thing to worry about...... but now i'm curious.....as my pump lacks it.

Whats the deal with VE bread vans and timing advance.....

#2 ·
You mean a KSB?

#3 ·
Some of the vans I've bought either didnt have KSB or it wasnt hooked up, but they were VE pumped. Even without, all started well in CO temps.

#4 ·
don't quote me on it,but i think that all road going ve have dynamic advance.the KSB is just an external control for that advance based on temp...just for cold starts.optional?...don't know for sure.crewcab could answer that better i think.

#5 ·
ALL ve pumps have dynamic timing advance. Even the CAV pumps have it. The p-pump and the a-pump (inline pumps) do NOT have dynamic advance.

#6 ·
KSB or Cold Start Timing Advance System was prompted by 1988 emmisions requirements in order to minimize white smoke during cold starts.

Pre 1991 series b engines with automotive ratings use a wax motor style which have the temp. switch in the water jacket.
91 and newer use an electrical solenoid style where the temp switch is in the intake manifold.

Info taken directly from Cummins Service Repair Manual obtained in this forum.

#7 ·
I suppose even those who have been on this forum for years could use a vist to the stickies now and again. Tho I have that manual printed out in full, and didnt think to consult it. It's out on the fender.....in the garage...across the yard...

My engine is a 1986. I then lack all that? But still have dynamic timing...?
I have the bosch ve training manual and I still feel it is vague....

Would the m&h spacer still apply to a pump without the cold start advance then? Since it affects dynamic timing's travel, from what I comprehend.....

#8 ·
No, the M&H spacer goes inside the KSB.

#10 ·
I'm sorry, I didn't mean inside, I meant between. Do you have a pic? I'll try and post one of mine in a little while.
Dave

#11 ·
The M&H timing spacer will still work without a KSB. It fits between the pump body and the cap for the spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.