Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

F150 Alternator and AC compressor design!

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  brobrad 
#1 ·
AC Braket and Alternator braket. I guess you could call it a "Texas" mount based on its shape. the AC would sit on top of the ALT shifted slightly left. I'm also planning to move the tensioner over toward the alt 1/2" and up 3/8". My template is 1/8" Luan. Let me know what you think. I priced a "ready" made bracket from a very reputable company for 515.00. I plan on making this out of plate and gusset the back a little.

I dropped this into a new post as there was no response to it on my thread.

The plate will not be bolted to the tensioner plate. It will be integrated into one piece. I've got to get the spacing of all of it fine tuned before i start cutting steel..

I'll put the Ac compressor on a platform behind the Alternator. I've got to cut the plate out and get all fit and trim in front first.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a bad design. Sort of a take off of the Ford/Freightliner high mount. One thing though, on the Ford unit the tensioner is at the bottom. If your ac compressor is up top the it would have plenty of belt wrap. You'd be going from the fan hub to the ac, to the water pump, to the alternator, to the crank pulley. Be nice to have that tensioner down low to get more wrap on the crank pulley. I've enclosed a picture of the Ford unit. It's laying on its side but you can see how it works.

Attachments

#3 ·
Yeah, thats not bad. I modified the mount to come further out to the left of the picture. I can then gussett it and mount the ac. My only point of concern is clearing the top water intlet to the engine. I can put a small idler (1-1/2") if necessary that woud increase my belt wrap.

#4 ·
The Ford units use a vertical water outlet with a curved hose that arcs over the top of all the brackets. On the MD trucks the plumbing is usually metal tubing with just a short rubber hose coupler at each end. That way you could carry spare radiator hoses in the glove compartment. The upper and lower were the same. Your outlet coming through the bracket is simlar to Rubebonet's built of a Chevy Blazer. Your main difference is your larger pulley (the ac) will be up top and the belt wrap may indeed get in the way of the outlet. If it does you may try the vertical outlet and go up and over.

#5 ·
This is the front of the mount. It is a total of 3 pieces plus gussetts.

Alternator ties into bottom left two holes the top two on the right will support the tensioner.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/thebrownlees/IMG_0461.jpg

This piece is drilled for the Ac. I'll need some sapcers 5/8" taller than the plate to fasten the ac compressor. My dilemma is that the Ford AC pulley is narrower than the the other components but i asssume that it will all operate fine.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/thebrownlees/IMG_0463.jpg
The notch is for the Alternator to have clearance for a nut/wrench

I had to Tee into this piece to make it all work and clear the bolts and keep a low profile to clear the water inlet.
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/thebrownlees/IMG_0462.jpg

I've done it all in wood because i don't have the metal stuff. A buddy down the road has it all. I hope to get over there soon if i don't have shoulder surgery soon. Dr. Wants to try 3 more weeks of physical therapy. I think its pointless, but i will comply.

#6 ·
I picked up my 5/16" plate to cut the lay out the parts. I should have enough for gussets as well. It was only 16.12 for a 17" x 12" piece. they didn't have any in their reminant pile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.