Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

JD 4045 engine in a truck

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JakeDiesel 
#1 ·
Guys,
I am relatively new to the forums here and have been extensively using this site as a resource to plan a 4bt swap into my ford f150. However, I am going to an auction tomorrow where they are selling a relatively new John Deere 4.5L turbo diesel. Has anyone ever heard of putting one of these in a truck? Mainly, I was also wondering if a bell housing adapter is available to attach it to a ford transmission? Any thoughts?
thanks,
jordan

#2 ·
I recently missed picking up one of these (cheap) I have seen them with top mounted and rear mounted turbos, which could make for a tricky fit.There is a company called Phoenix Adapters that makes transmission adapters for industrial engines, you may get lucky and the JD has a standard SAE sized bellhousing.Let us know if you proceed.Good luck.

#4 ·
The engine sold for more that I wanted to give for it, but then again the seller said it only had 200 hrs on it. I didn't think about clearance too much but the turbo was mounted on top of the engine so it probably would be pretty tight. I helped rebuild one of these engines with a friend a while ago and they seem to be pretty heavy built and run quite smooth. I want to do some more looking to see if I can even find an adapter to bolt one to a ford 5 speed. I just keep thinking....how cool would it to have a JD powered truck. haha

#5 ·
I put a cummins 3.9 that came out of an IR roller. It has the high mount turbo, and I kept the orginal injection, and I have had no problems with it, it defuels at 2200 rpms, when I am going up a hill of any kind I don't have to push down on the gas at all, I just climbs right up with no problem. I actually think that you are better off with type of governor. For the turbo I just had to cut a space out of my fire wall. go under the 5.9 conversions here and look at test pics of truck. there is a pics of my turbo and what I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.