: Rebuilding a core engine

cdqat1432
04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
:idea: Someone said in an earlier post that the prices on good 4bts continues to rise. So I was wondering, would it pay to buy a van with a rebuildable engine? You will pay significantly less because most bidders dont care to deal with the extra work. Besides, it really is a good idea to go through a used engine anyway, running or not. I would estimate that one of these vehicles should go for scrap prices or a little less. What does a rebuild kit cost? Does this seem like a worthwhile idea? If my thinking is correct, you could scrap the body, then list the trans and rear end on ebay to get your money back. So you get the core for free and have an engine in remanufactured condition for the price of the kit and some effort. Anyone tried this yet? Carmine

bahndo
04-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Not a bad idea if you have the time and are comfortable rebuilding diesel engines. A rebuild kit runs somewhere between $500-$700 depending on manufacturer/brand. I have rebuilt a few gassers but have not ventured down the diesel road yet. I think that I will be taking that leap sooner then later.
-Ryan

Mikel
04-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Other than the injection and lack of ignition, how are diesel engines different?

franks71vw
04-22-2008, 10:54 AM
My point exactly still has a crank rods oil pump etc just send the pump and injectors out and your good to go... unless your gonna really rat out a motor I have yet to see a difference on manufactures I have done FP, MCBEE, Clevite you name it, all the parts come from the same places except that now more and more is coming from China which all bets are off on quility with the current stuff,

Ford4x4-JD70AB
04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
With the price of these good running cummins, i have expanded my search for a 4bt to include rebuildable engines. I have gone through numerous gas engines and a 4.5L JD engines, so i figure that rebuilding a 4bt cant be too bad with the right manuals.
Does anyone know if cummins offers an sore of rebuild kit? I suppose they would rather take your core and sell you a reman.

franks71vw
04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
With the price of these good running cummins, i have expanded my search for a 4bt to include rebuildable engines. I have gone through numerous gas engines and a 4.5L JD engines, so i figure that rebuilding a 4bt cant be too bad with the right manuals.
Does anyone know if cummins offers an sore of rebuild kit? I suppose they would rather take your core and sell you a reman.

I would only give one company certain items to get as a rebuild for the sake that if they didnt have it they would give it to you new and sell it as rebuilt and cummins isnt one of them so rebuild it yourself.

oppy
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm right in the middle of a rebuild - pretty much everything is sitting at the machine shop right now. Got the motor for a song, so, by the time I get everything done (even including a few surprises), I'll have a rebuilt engine for less than the cost of a used one.

xechcorx
04-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Here is what I spent:

$1250.00- Running core. ~250,000. Ran and made boost with excessive blowby and a broken ring
$1200.00 - Full Cummins rebuild kit. Pistons, rings, complete gaskets/seals.
$800.00 - Rebuild head, bored block, decked, polished crank, cam, rods checked and new wristpin bushings installed.
Assembly-Me.

7500 or so for a new 4bt, I'd say it's worth it.

kbailey
04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know if cummins offers an sore of rebuild kit?

I haven't looked into this myself but you might consider stopping bye a CaseIH Industrial dealer and asking about a rebuild. So far everything I've found from Case is the same thing you get at Cummins, it just costs less.

sludo
04-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I have found several 4BT's in other units.
Try a farm machinery outlet that deals in Marooka tractors.I have bought 6 cores for 125 each and now starting my 1st rebuild for a 1982 Ford F-250 4x4 P/U

franks71vw
04-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Here is what I spent:

$1250.00- Running core. ~250,000. Ran and made boost with excessive blowby and a broken ring
$1200.00 - Full Cummins rebuild kit. Pistons, rings, complete gaskets/seals.
$800.00 - Rebuild head, bored block, decked, polished crank, cam, rods checked and new wristpin bushings installed.
Assembly-Me.

7500 or so for a new 4bt, I'd say it's worth it.

NExt time send it over to me with a check for that amount and ill give you 2 years unlimited mileage warranty does cummins do that?

xechcorx
04-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Franks are you saying for 2000 you do full rebuilds?

1200 for a runner is going rate.... ve pumped 4bt
The pistons/bearings/reseal at 1200 is a bit much but I got all these wicked cummins boxes now!

800 in machine work was cheaper than other quotes at 1200 around here....

Bah I'm not flustered about it. I get to build my own destiny.

Building a 4BT on a "sick day" Friday, creating a 3 day weekend for yourself, is always good anyways.

franks71vw
04-25-2008, 11:40 AM
I dont have a red star but trust me $7500 for a rebuilt 4bt I wish I could have customers like that. I think I can build a 4bt with a new block crank head injection pump and injectors for that price hence what is killing me that the prices of these cores are so high. Yeah the injection pump is my biggest hurdle even though I get them new at a hell of a price. (sometime rebuilding is not worth it cough cough) and the tranny adpaters. The rest I can get for the price of the core engine. I don't do Hot Rodded motor had issues years back with backyard rebuilders and magazine nimrods, but thats a different story.

xechcorx
04-26-2008, 07:52 AM
oh haha, Yeah the 7500 is for a new cummins engine. i was comparing the rebuild costs, vs new... Frank, PM me with your price on a VE pump for a 1985 4bti can get cpl and serial if need be.... just curious, Since everything else is new..... could always slingshot a few more parts at it....