Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

98 K2500 Suburban 6BT swap

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  hereismylife 
#1 ·
Hey Guys... just been waiting for my 454 to pop before I started a 4BT swap... the time has now come, and need to get this started ASAP... as it turns out there seems to be better deals on 6BT donor trucks, and I would preffer to have the extra power if the swap is not going to be that much more dificult.

I will be running the 4L80E as it has a fresh (15 mile) rebuild on it... I would preffer to leave it in the stock location with what ever T-case is behind it... I know I can acomplish this with the 4BT but I will have to figure out if it is possible with the 6BT.

I figure I will be purchasing a bread van adapter for it

just need to make a choice on the motor...

dovebid 4bt.... not much coming up this month.

12v 6BT from a 92 ram (complete running donor truck)

24V 6BT from an '01 ram (motor, harness, computer)

... I think the best choice would be the complete 12V truck as it will have most of the little things I need and I can still part it out to recoup a few bucks... but I can get a smoking deal on the 24V from a trusted source... but I am worried that the computer is going to make things a little complicated.

my other concern is what I need to do to convert the fuel system from gas to diesel... can I just flush the system and use my existing tank or am I going to need to replace all of the lines and tank aswell.

any insight to anything above would be great!

See less See more
#2 ·
6bt swap

I`d go with the12v `cause it`s all mechanical. I put one in my brothers 86 one ton 4x4 crew cab dually with a 4l80 trans in 1992,and it gets 21 /22 mpg highway and 16/17 town mpg. We found out about the KDP at about 300,000 mi. other than that, NO problems with the engine or 4l80 trans. Crew cab59 sells motor mounts for your truck. Check with him, He`s done a couple of swaps like you want to do. All you need to do to your gas tank, is take out the fuel pump, put in a metal pick up tube in its place and put the tank back in the truck. That`s what I`m doing to my `94 suburban/92 12v conversion. The rest of the fuel lines are steel, so no problem. use good quality rubber fuel hose to connect the front of `em to the lift pump (put a racor or other GOOD primary diesel fule filter in the supply line) and the return line and you`re done.:idea:

#5 ·
I`d go with the12v `cause it`s all mechanical. I put one in my brothers 86 one ton 4x4 crew cab dually with a 4l80 trans in 1992,and it gets 21 /22 mpg highway and 16/17 town mpg. We found out about the KDP at about 300,000 mi. other than that, NO problems with the engine or 4l80 trans. Crew cab59 sells motor mounts for your truck. Check with him, He`s done a couple of swaps like you want to do. All you need to do to your gas tank, is take out the fuel pump, put in a metal pick up tube in its place and put the tank back in the truck. That`s what I`m doing to my `94 suburban/92 12v conversion. The rest of the fuel lines are steel, so no problem. use good quality rubber fuel hose to connect the front of `em to the lift pump (put a racor or other GOOD primary diesel fule filter in the supply line) and the return line and you`re done.:idea:
How is your 4l80e trans holding up yet?

#3 ·
6bt swap

Also to run your 4l80 you`ll need to put on a throttle position sensor if the 6bt dosen`t have one. and an rpm signal to your computer. Either a dakota didigital tacometer kit or one from jet. your truck is already wired for the 4l80. just find the wires in the under hood harness and hook`em up. Your transfer case has the speed sensor wired to the computer and speedometer, so you should be all set. Hope this helps.:eek:

#4 ·
6bt swap

Damn, I hate gettin` old, forgot to tell you not to put any filter sock back on the pick up tube in the gas tank. diesel will screw`em up. thats why you put a good filter between the tank and lift pump on the engine.bounce

#7 ·
Did you ever get it dynoed or know how much hp your getting out of it?

Also thanks for the feedback..bounce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.