: Mercedes Sprinter Transplant

mongo
06-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I have been driving a Frieghtliner Sprinter around with the 5 cyl. I can squeeze 26 MPG from this full size van has anyone looked into swapin one of these into something? They seem to be reliable and parts should be available. What cha think?

bigorangecntry07
06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
i have been wondering about them, they seem like a quiet, efficent diesel. sounds like a cool swap, what were ya thinkin???

mongo
06-27-2008, 10:23 PM
My service van wieghs in at 9800 LBS. I just had an exceptional tank of fuel and got 26 MPG (All highway at 58 to 60 MPH) The computer governs speed to 85 and it would run it all day long if I wanted it to. The van is one of the older versions with 38000 miles. We have over 20 of them in the fleet, the highest mileage to date is 250,000 with no major problems. The turbo resinator is known to have issues but other then that I havn't herd of anything. I would use the engine and trans from the sprinter, I am thinkin a 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton or even Ranger, S-10, or a Dakota. My service van isn't the most powerful unit on the road but I feel it would be more then enough power for a pickup. The sprinter has a good bit of turbo lag but after you get used to it you compensate with your style of driving. I am going to do some research and see what there stats are. Stay tuned.

bigorangecntry07
06-27-2008, 10:44 PM
i like when people tell me to stay tuned.... that means cool sh!t is on the way! :D

carcrafter22
06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
What year is the van? What kind of electronics to get the engine only running? sounds like great mpg out of a 9800 pound van imagine what a 5000 pound truck would get.

mongo
06-28-2008, 03:55 PM
My thoughts exactly, its a 2004 I think, The engine is a complete fly by wire affair as well as the trans. They recently released a v6 in the updated sprinters thats why I said this was the older version.

carcrafter22
06-28-2008, 11:00 PM
A few more questions, sorry but you have got me interested now....

-how big is the engine, can you compare it to a cummins 4bt or 6bt?
-any idea of the power output?
-how many gears in the tranny?
-what kind of trans is it?

mongo
06-29-2008, 06:00 AM
2.7l 5 cylinder turbo diesel,
5 speed auto trans,
154 HP @ 3800 RPM
243 FT-LBS @ 1600 RPM

The engine ships dry at 500 lbs. don't have diemensions yet.

So you can see power is right in line with the 4bt.

I have spun mine up to 4250 RPM on a regular bases, it really dosen't seem to mind it either.

carcrafter22
06-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Could you please get us some dimensions? That would be great. I would assume that even a dry weight of 500 pounds that its a fairly small engine somewhere about the size of a 4bt or just a tad smaller, maybe just shorter.

Wow 4250 rpm huh that thing will spin!!

I also like the idea of the 5 speed. I would imagine 30-35 mpg would be a very reasonable guess for a single cab short bed 1/2 ton truck. hmm that would be pretty sweet in a crew cab ford ranger, of course you would have to make the crew cab part but thats the other fun part.:D

I see what you mean about the turbo lag I would assume that it has quiet a bit since it makes full power at 3800rpm, thats pretty high. I wonder what you can do to turn one of these up, probably not much if anything.

This is all good info for others looking to do a neat new swap. I just wonder what the cost of the engine and trans along with all neccesary wiring would cost? hmm....

carcrafter22
06-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Here is a little info that a search turned up, its a press release but still some info.

Best in class fuel efficiency of 25 mpg overall

· 243 pound-feet of torque and 154 horsepower

· Five-cylinder diesel engine with Common-rail Direct Injection (CDI)

The premium Dodge Sprinter 2.7L in-line five cylinder Common-rail Injection Diesel Engine (CDI) is exactly what customers are demanding in a medium-duty commercial vehicle. With 154 hp and 243 pound-feet of torque at 1,600 – 2,400 rpm, the state-of-the-art engine all but guarantees very low fuel consumption without sacrificing operating performance in meeting tough, daily applications. A proven winner, the Mercedes-Benz 2.7L turbo diesel engine has already established itself throughout the world, in handling today’s business delivery and transport needs.

Engine technology features:

· Sleeveless gray-cast iron cylinder crankcase

· Coolant passage pistons made from aluminum alloys

· Forged crankshaft with six bearings

· Valve train with tappets and hydraulic valve lifters

· State-of-the-art Common-rail Direct Injection system (CDI)

Variable geometry turbocharger to improve response characteristics while reducing fuel consumption and emission levels

Setting a new standard, the advanced engine technology is rounded off by a comprehensive electronic engine management system that controls the CDI solenoid valves, idle speed stabilizer, vibration reduction system, exhaust gas recirculation, start control, immobilizer and turbo boost pressure controller.

The 2.7L CDI combines longer life, low maintenance costs and better fuel efficiency, giving customers the smooth, clean, quiet performance not typically expected from diesels

AznDrgn
06-29-2008, 11:42 AM
We've got two sprinters at home a 2500 and a 3500 dually and I can attest that these things are GREAT!!! The 2500 is a daily driven work truck that is HEAVILY loaded, haven't had it weighed but it is a fully equiped HVAC service truck and it still gets around 24MPG mixed city and highway driving. In the 4 years and 100K miles that the truck has been in service the only problems we've had with it is we blew an intake hose, and we had some fuel gelling issues but that was more due to the fact that we had never owned a diesel before and didn't know how to maintain it during the winter months. The 3500 is a spare van that isn't driven all that often so it's only got 5k miles on it over the past 2 years. Between the two they both get about the same mileage so being loaded or not doesn't seem to make a real difference with these motors. As for swapping them into other things I would say it's entirely possible but the biggest issue you'll probably run into is the height, these engines are extremely tall and of course you'll require all the computers to run the motor.

J10Diesel
06-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Does anyone build a trans adapter for a GM trans. I think I remember an adapter for the Mercedes 617 engine from 4X4 Labs. Will it fit the sprinter engine?

mongo
06-29-2008, 03:20 PM
No idea about the adapters but have found some more info.

SPRINTER FORUM
www.sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php

SPRINTER PERFORMANCE MODULE
http://www.eng-tek.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=21_55&products_id=136

OM612 2.7L FOR SALE, THAT IS THE CORRECT ENGINE NAME BUY THE WAY.
SEEMS AS THOUGH TWO ENGINE FAMILIES WHERE USED, SMALL CHANGES
IN EMMISION CONTROLS MADE THE MODEL NUMBER CHANGE.
http://www.dieselenginemotor.com/diesel/engines/1726,1.html

NO DIEMENSIONS YET.

love-horsepower
06-29-2008, 06:57 PM
ii have looked at them i hopes of a swap the only hurdle i se other than the adaper wich i planned on making myself anyway was that they are front sump pans cast aluminium and i would have to see where the oil pump and pickup is located the last mercedees i did a swap on i had to remove the oil pump cut the bottom of the pan off reweld it shut put an fittings in it and double roller chain small chain that would take 50 hp for durability and put one of my three stage drysump pumps off my race car. but it is very doable and i may do it yet if i get another project. my wife askes me how many vehicles we need she says i have backups for my backup-backup? i like cars and trucks what can i say? rod

mongo
06-29-2008, 07:00 PM
my wife has told me the same I always find good deals though I just found a 69 Lincoln cont. 48k for 1500.00 cant pass it up! Mabey a sprinter transplant patient.

AznDrgn
06-30-2008, 06:40 AM
ii have looked at them i hopes of a swap the only hurdle i se other than the adaper wich i planned on making myself anyway was that they are front sump pans cast aluminium and i would have to see where the oil pump and pickup is located the last mercedees i did a swap on i had to remove the oil pump cut the bottom of the pan off reweld it shut put an fittings in it and double roller chain small chain that would take 50 hp for durability and put one of my three stage drysump pumps off my race car. but it is very doable and i may do it yet if i get another project. my wife askes me how many vehicles we need she says i have backups for my backup-backup? i like cars and trucks what can i say? rod

What year van are you looking at? The '03 and '05 we have both have stamped steel pans as far as I can recall.

HuffBoysToyota's
07-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I actually started thinking about this about two days ago.
maybe a swap into a 4runner?
this could be a very interesting swap
here you go but the links are mostly for Mercedes-Benz diesels out of the passanger cars...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460739&highlight=4x4+labs

http://www.4x4labs.com/diesel.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM617_engine

95Z28A4
07-16-2008, 09:43 AM
I first learned of the Sprinter & its 2.7L diesel a few years back when my son was working for FedEx Ground. He spoke of its awesome 22 - 24 MPG in stop & go city delivery service and needless to say I was impressed. I researched and found modifying the front sump oil pan and relocating the oil pump a major stumbling block. I seem to recall reading that the engines were available with a manual trans in Europe.

I've seen ebay auctions for DRW Sprinter-based motor homes boasting 25 MPG.

bakerbuilt
08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I think the 2.7l is auto trans only in the US and the electronics very much tied to the engine function a trans swap might prove to be a challange to have the engine run right .there fussy .I have a 2006 sprinter and I wouldnt go near the wiring

Dougal
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Is it possible to get a manual trans computer from europe?

bakerbuilt
08-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Don't know but even the wrong taillight bulb in a sprinter messes with the electronics

Eccho
08-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I used to work a truck shop that service a few of these along with the bigger MB engines. my experance with these things is that these engines are great reliable as hell get great fuel milage... problems come in the form of prices of parts when something does break mercedes benz only... last i knew even some of the filters are mb only but that was a couple years back and it seems as soon as that mb name is on it its worth about 3 times anything else there prices are far worse then anything cummins... and if its like anything else mb the electronics are gonna be an absolute PITA if its even possible.... Although with parts these were also built under the dodge sprinter name so dodge might be an option for parts but i'm pretty sure it will be the same as the frieghtliner seen as until this year they were all the same company... benz, dodge, frieghtliner, detroit diesel, sterling, westernstar and several others i'm probably forgeting

bakerbuilt
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
dodge ,freightliner,and benz are all the same with exception of the grill and badging .there all mercedes when it comes to the price of parts!!! all the 5cyl are from mercedes the 6 cyl started when they begain to build them here

AzTraveller
02-24-2009, 11:52 AM
dodge ,freightliner,and benz are all the same with exception of the grill and badging .there all mercedes when it comes to the price of parts!!! all the 5cyl are from mercedes the 6 cyl started when they begain to build them here

My understanding is the Mercedes 300D came with the OM617 5 cyl engine & automatic. The OM617 is similar to the one used in the Sprinter (aluminum head). These engines are plentiful in the Bone Yards. There are several forums supporting this engine in transplants. The OM60x engines have cast iron heads, and are available in 4,5,6 cyl.

Dougal
02-24-2009, 02:14 PM
My understanding is the Mercedes 300D came with the OM617 5 cyl engine & automatic. The OM617 is similar to the one used in the Sprinter (aluminum head). These engines are plentiful in the Bone Yards. There are several forums supporting this engine in transplants. The OM60x engines have cast iron heads, and are available in 4,5,6 cyl.

The sprinter engines are very different to the ones you're talking about. The sprinter engines are direct injection, electronically controlled and run a VNT turbo. OM647 is the one my turbo came from.
The 300D engines are mechanical indirect injection.

AzTraveller
02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
The sprinter engines are very different to the ones you're talking about. The sprinter engines are direct injection, electronically controlled and run a VNT turbo. OM647 is the one my turbo came from.

I understand the reason to use a VNT turbo. However, it was mentioned on one of the MB forums the base engine is the same (direct injection).

However, I'll gladly stand corrected.

What options are available to get more MPG out of these sprinter engines?

Dougal
02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
I understand the reason to use a VNT turbo. However, it was mentioned on one of the MB forums the base engine is the same (direct injection).

However, I'll gladly stand corrected.

What options are available to get more MPG out of these sprinter engines?

Definitely indirect injection (aka prechamber injection)for the old stuff. BMW only started producing direct injection engines in about 98, at least Cummins and Isuzu had a 20 year head-start.

To get more MPGs you need to fit them to a smaller, lighter and more aerodynamic vehicle. Transmission choice and ratios matter too.

indianajo
03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Sprinters are running $15000 with infinity miles, have never seen a wrecked one in the rebuildable section of Indianaautorv magazine. A wonderful engine, a very expensive hobby if you do find one. If you're that rich,have fun. I'm putting a mercedes 617 110 hp in a 76 F150 pickup, much lower milage and much less suitable, but $750 plus repairs to be determined- a full rebuild would be under $5000. At least, as a diesel, the gasoline won't go "stale" if I don't drive it in the winter, and it should get better than the 11 mpg my F150 gets stock. A 4bt or 6.9/7.3 Liter are too heavy for the twin I beam front suspension. Pity, I saw a 6.9L + C6 transmission for $750 last week.

averagef250
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry for the off topic, but how is any one of the heavier engines you listed too heavy for Ford twin-I-beam front suspension? Twin-I-beam is the toughest 2wd stuff on the planet, Baja proven. Millions upon millions of F-250 2wd Fords have been made with twin-I-beam and Navistar V8 diesels. The 250 stuff is the same darn thing as 150 stuff except for a slightly larger kingpin in the older stuff. The newer balljoint beams appear to use the same balljoints 150/250 to me, but haven't verified that.

I've owned many F-100 2wd's and can wholeheartedly attest to how tough the front suspension is. If you add front end weight you ad more spring. Run 250 or 350 springs under your 150 with a sway bar and it'll handle any weight you put in the engine bay.

Turbo.Bimmer
03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Is that the same engine they put in the Jeep Liberty CRD?

mooseracing
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I first learned of the Sprinter & its 2.7L diesel a few years back when my son was working for FedEx Ground. He spoke of its awesome 22 - 24 MPG in stop & go city delivery service

The previous company I worked for that did freight expediting, most drivers claimed mid 20's as well, that was with a 2 pallet load.

When we pulled them intot he shop to do sattelite installs, they are remarkably quiet.

Don't know but even the wrong taillight bulb in a sprinter messes with the electronics

We had brand new ones coming to us with the fuses all taped in the fuse box below the driver seat. We found out it was a good idea to leave the tape, the damn fuses would fall out without it on most. The holding prongs were way to loose. :idea:

95Z28A4
04-15-2009, 02:18 PM

No. The Jeep Liberty CRD used a 2.8L 4 cylinder VM Motori (Italy) diesel. The earlier Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinters used a 2.7L 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel and the most recent sprinters use a 3.0 V6 Mercedes diesel.

AzTraveller
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
No. The Jeep Liberty CRD used a 2.8L 4 cylinder VM Motori (Italy) diesel. The earlier Mercedes/Dodge/Freightliner Sprinters used a 2.7L 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel and the most recent sprinters use a 3.0 V6 Mercedes diesel.

Any place I can get specs on the V6 Mercedes engine? Including physical measurements ?

95Z28A4
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM
The 2007+ Jeep Grand Cherokee is available with the 3.0 V6 Mercedes diesel engine.

Metcalf
05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
For those still interested.

I am pretty sure the 5 cyl benz engine was also used in overseas Jeep Grand Cherokee's. Those have a rear sump oil pan.

Great motor.

I really think someone needs to design a fully programmable and user friendly stand alone computer system for Diesel engines. It would open up so many new options! The Tuner guys have them....why can't the diesel guys!

The stock ECU should be a Bosch product on a Can-c network. Those have been hacked I think.

richmond2000
07-18-2009, 03:01 AM

the liberty/ cherokee uses a MV Motori
Only available in 2005 and 2006 for the Sport and Limited models, the 2.8L VM Motori CRD " from wikipedia
this is the engine in question below

"The Mercedes-Benz OM612 engine is a straight-5 diesel engine produced by Mercedes-Benz.

It was introduced in 1999 for the 2000 model year in a 170 PS (168 hp/125 kW) version in the W210 E-Class, and in the W203 C-Class in 2000.

A detuned version with 156 PS (154 hp/115 kW) were used in the W90x Sprinter from 2000 to 2006.

2002–2004 grand cherokee 2.7 L Diesel OM647 Diesel I5 161 hp (120 kW) 295 lb·ft (400 N·m) available in Europe and Australia only

the ssangyong stavic also uses it
theck wikipedia ssangyong rodius

also I believe 1998 / 05 ml 320 (in europe)

g8trwood
07-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Newer Grand Cherokee's have a non bluetec version of the Mercedes V6 (3.0) which might be the same as is in the sprinter. I am not sure if the sprinter got the newer technology or not. I completely agree with the stand alone computer sentiment, that would open up whole new arenas. They need to create a light diesel racing league to promote diesels and create newer technologies and options. Now if I only was rich, then, I would put one of those in my old truck.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
08-24-2009, 03:21 AM
I have been driving a Frieghtliner Sprinter around with the 5 cyl. I can squeeze 26 MPG from this full size van has anyone looked into swapin one of these into something? They seem to be reliable and parts should be available. What cha think?

this engine is used even in some small trucks in latin america... gross vehicle weight around 15000lbs...

OldBeaver
11-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I am looking for such an engine to be transplanted to my MB 300E 1989.

I think these are very good engines. However, I look for a OM651 engine.

Which one do you have?

OldBeaver

OldBeaver
11-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I got very interested too.

However, I am a little confused: there is another Sprinter Wagon that uses a OM651 turbo CDI, with 4 cylinders and only 2145 cc.

Any of them sound good to me. I want to get one to install on my Mercedes car.

Do you know where I can get one of them?

OldBeaver

Here is a little info that a search turned up, its a press release but still some info.

Best in class fuel efficiency of 25 mpg overall

· 243 pound-feet of torque and 154 horsepower

· Five-cylinder diesel engine with Common-rail Direct Injection (CDI)

The premium Dodge Sprinter 2.7L in-line five cylinder Common-rail Injection Diesel Engine (CDI) is exactly what customers are demanding in a medium-duty commercial vehicle. With 154 hp and 243 pound-feet of torque at 1,600 – 2,400 rpm, the state-of-the-art engine all but guarantees very low fuel consumption without sacrificing operating performance in meeting tough, daily applications. A proven winner, the Mercedes-Benz 2.7L turbo diesel engine has already established itself throughout the world, in handling today’s business delivery and transport needs.

Engine technology features:

· Sleeveless gray-cast iron cylinder crankcase

· Coolant passage pistons made from aluminum alloys

· Forged crankshaft with six bearings

· Valve train with tappets and hydraulic valve lifters

· State-of-the-art Common-rail Direct Injection system (CDI)

Variable geometry turbocharger to improve response characteristics while reducing fuel consumption and emission levels

Setting a new standard, the advanced engine technology is rounded off by a comprehensive electronic engine management system that controls the CDI solenoid valves, idle speed stabilizer, vibration reduction system, exhaust gas recirculation, start control, immobilizer and turbo boost pressure controller.

The 2.7L CDI combines longer life, low maintenance costs and better fuel efficiency, giving customers the smooth, clean, quiet performance not typically expected from diesels

OldBeaver
11-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Hello!

I am new to the Forum...

Do you have a picture of your OM647? The specs?

Haven´t heard about it before. Only OM 651.

Thank you,

Old Beaver

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
11-23-2009, 01:46 PM
I got very interested too.

However, I am a little confused: there is another Sprinter Wagon that uses a OM651 turbo CDI, with 4 cylinders and only 2145 cc.

Any of them sound good to me. I want to get one to install on my Mercedes car.

Do you know where I can get one of them?

OldBeaver

that's the argentinian one... this engine is avaliable in europe too...

hotrod508
01-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Hello my name is rodney from indiana...

I have done a OM612 swap into a new style FORD f150. It involves swapping all electronic parts for the transmission and engine, as both the engine and trans are electronically controlled. Trying to delete any of these modules or electronic components results in "Limp home mode" limiting you to 2nd gear only with 50% torque reduction . Any Idea of running a manual gearbox or other automatic would require a computer reprogram or stand alone computer that could run the om612. Not saying it can't be done, just been looking for about 3years and I have not found anyone. The weight of the engine and trans is around 750lbs. in my case 80 lbs lighter than the 5.4 triton and it's trans.

The problems start with the can-bus computer system. It is completely dependent on the input from 4 wheel sensors, as well as some 35 other sensors. To get around it takes alot of work, as the wheels on the original sprinter are 25" tall. the drive train also is programmed to have traction control and torque reduction for any slipping or wheel spin that is detected as a function of the ABS. ..But the fuel economy is terrific!! I'd post pics if I could upload them somehow I don't have them online at this point.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
01-16-2010, 06:24 PM
I have done a OM612 swap into a new style FORD f150.

seems to be one of the coolest f150s ever...

Dougal
01-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Hello my name is rodney from indiana...

I have done a OM612 swap into a new style FORD f150. It involves swapping all electronic parts for the transmission and engine, as both the engine and trans are electronically controlled. Trying to delete any of these modules or electronic components results in "Limp home mode" limiting you to 2nd gear only with 50% torque reduction . Any Idea of running a manual gearbox or other automatic would require a computer reprogram or stand alone computer that could run the om612. Not saying it can't be done, just been looking for about 3years and I have not found anyone. The weight of the engine and trans is around 750lbs. in my case 80 lbs lighter than the 5.4 triton and it's trans.

The problems start with the can-bus computer system. It is completely dependent on the input from 4 wheel sensors, as well as some 35 other sensors. To get around it takes alot of work, as the wheels on the original sprinter are 25" tall. the drive train also is programmed to have traction control and torque reduction for any slipping or wheel spin that is detected as a function of the ABS. ..But the fuel economy is terrific!! I'd post pics if I could upload them somehow I don't have them online at this point.

Could you start a build thread for this vehicle? Many people will be interested in how you've done it.

goldhunter_2
01-16-2010, 07:20 PM
wouldn't the mechanical injected be better and less hassle then a elec controlled system

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
wouldn't the mechanical injected be better and less hassle then a elec controlled system

no doubt about it but in some cases would be harder to meet current emission laws with the mechanical injected engines currently avaliable in the u.s....

Dougal
01-16-2010, 11:31 PM

Less hassle, certainly.
Better, no. The electronic systems can provide better power and economy without the smoke.
It's simply because they're continually reading what's happening (how much boost, how much airflow, how hot is the coolant etc) and modifying your injection quantities and timing to suit.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
01-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Less hassle, certainly.
Better, no. The electronic systems can provide better power and economy without the smoke.
It's simply because they're continually reading what's happening and modifying your injection quantities and timing to suit.

but for heavy off-roading i still would to prefer a mechanically-injected...

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
01-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I have done a OM612 swap into a new style FORD f150. It involves swapping all electronic parts for the transmission and engine, as both the engine and trans are electronically controlled. Trying to delete any of these modules or electronic components results in "Limp home mode" limiting you to 2nd gear only with 50% torque reduction . Any Idea of running a manual gearbox or other automatic would require a computer reprogram or stand alone computer that could run the om612. Not saying it can't be done, just been looking for about 3years and I have not found anyone.

brazilian-made mercedes-benz accelo 715c cabover truck uses this engine with a manual transmission...

travelguy
02-11-2010, 01:00 AM
i bought a 2004 sprinter new with this 2.7l motor... was happy as a clam till yesterday at 115k the motor stopped. cranked wouldnt start.. towed to dealer.. cam shaft is broken.. lunched the motor.. they want 14,500 to replace. :puke: always did regular maintance. they said sorry just happens.. id think long and hard before you drop one of these in your whatever...:nuke:

hotrod508
02-20-2010, 04:30 PM
-Travelguy: I also had a 04 OM647 break a cam gear in my other sprinter...It's fairly common. The motor that I did my swap with is a om612. In my opinion a better engine than the 647, due to lack of emissions crap that the 647 has.

Anyway i would upload pictures if it were not such a hassle. I tryed to upload ... it says fatal error.

hotrod508
02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
well I think that I got the picture posting thing figured out. -ROD

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
some brazilian and argentinian f150s had been factory-fitted with mercedes-benz om014 2.5L 4cyl turbodiesel engines in 1997

rammbo
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
some brazilian and argentinian f150s had been factory-fitted with mercedes-benz om014 2.5L 4cyl turbodiesel engines in 1997

Tell us which ones have the MWM sprint , Mee Likee the 2.8 and 4,0 non electronic ones pre 2002, weren t they in GM s10 and big half ton and the 2.8 were in nissans and a lot of small trucks

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Tell us which ones have the MWM sprint , Mee Likee the 2.8 and 4,0 non electronic ones pre 2002, weren t they in GM s10 and big half ton and the 2.8 were in nissans and a lot of small trucks

mwm sprint went in the 4cyl 2.8L version and the 6cyl 4.2L... 4cyl is used by the s10 from '99 till today and was used in the nissan frontier from 2002 till 2007 (my dad had one of the last non-electronic ones from 2005) and some brazilian-made vehicles such as the troller (kind of a fiberglass copy of the wrangler) and agrale marruá, and some light trucks... the 4.2L was used for both brazilian f250 and argentinian silverado from '99 till 2002 when argentinian silverado had the production closed after being moved to brazil 2 years before, and till 2005 in the f250... some f250s were even exported to australia and south africa... btw f350 and f550 have only the non-electronic 4bt since '99...

AzTraveller
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Doesn't that just ruffle your feathers that you can easily get a diesel in most vehicles, everywhere in the world, except here ? You ask, and they tell you there's not enough request for them. Shame they won't allow us to back-order them, anyway. I wouldn't mind waiting for a week, or 3.

rammbo
05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
If the MWM's were here---They would be some of the favorites. International bought them--one of the few good things they did !

rammbo
05-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey rooster -could you pull a few good 2.8 's and 4.0 non electronic ones for me from some wrecks and put them in a houston bound shipping container for me/ I'de appreciate it!

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey rooster -could you pull a few good 2.8 's and 4.0 non electronic ones for me from some wrecks and put them in a houston bound shipping container for me/ I'de appreciate it!

it wouldn't be so easy, specially about the 4.2 that i believe is not being made anymore... but the 2.8 is still being made in non-electronic versions to use in some export versions of light trucks and the agrale marruá military vehicles series...

http://www.agrale.com.br/

geraldbaker
06-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Do you really need to swap it out? why don't you try upgrading it?

turboshaft
12-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I am new to this forum and from reading some of the threads there is a lot of good information available on this site. I am looking at replacing the 5 cylinder gas engine in a 2009 H3T Hummer with one of the Mercedes 2.7 electronic turbo diesel engines possibly a OM-612 from a Sprinter. I have considered buying one used but I can buy the engine new from Mercedes with a 100,000 mile warranty, and there is a company that makes an adapter to bolt the engine up to a 4L60 transmission. Mechanically the engine would appear to fit in the vehicle without issue and this would seem to be a fairly straight forward conversion. I have also read in this post if the Mercedes transmission is not used with the engine that all the electronic sensors would have to be adapted to the 4L60 transmission, tire size ?, and other considerations would also have to be taken into account, how easily can that be done ?. Using the Mercedes transmission may present a whole new set of installation issues with this vehicle considering the all wheel drive setup, so I would prefer using the stock H3T transmission. I also have to be able to pass emissions, I don't know how that will work out either. Has anyone attempted a conversion on one of these Hummers yet and is there an alternate electronic control that is user programmable ? All help will be greatly appreciated.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
12-26-2011, 05:58 PM
the om612 can be used in this kind of swap... for the hummer's transmission you can use a standalone controller, and as far as the wiring for the om612 goes, there were some applications of this engine with manual transmissions, so it's also not impossible to make its controller run as a standalone...

nexxussian
12-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Cripple_rooster, do you know of a year or application the OM612 was used stateside.

If I were to swap my Dakota, that's the engine I think (at this point) I would want.

Dougal
12-26-2011, 09:52 PM
If you are buying the engine new, mercedes should be able to provide everything to make it run standalone.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Cripple_rooster, do you know of a year or application the OM612 was used stateside.

If I were to swap my Dakota, that's the engine I think (at this point) I would want.

it had been used in the jeep grand cherokee and the sprinter, i just don't remember the year...

ben2go
02-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Dragging this back out of the web weeds.There is one option that has been over looked.The engine could be run by an older manual IP.It would require a chain or belt drive between the crank shaft and IP.It would come with a slight power and economy penalty.It works around the electronics issue tho.

Dougal
02-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Dragging this back out of the web weeds.There is one option that has been over looked.The engine could be run by an older manual IP.It would require a chain or belt drive between the crank shaft and IP.It would come with a slight power and economy penalty.It works around the electronics issue tho.

On some commonrail engines (like Nissans YD and ZD series) the commonrail high pressure pump occupies a place that an injection pump can be fitted to. The hard part for a 5 cylinder engine is finding a suitable injection pump.

I don't see any power or economy penalty with a mechanical pump. But you won't be able to meet the same emissions class as commonrail.

4x4_Welder
02-19-2012, 02:49 PM
The 617 used an inline M or MW pump, you can get larger elements for it. You can even send it off to Europe have it tuned. It'll run a couple grand after it's all said and done, but it'll come back with the ability to support about twice the HP of the stock one.

ben2go
02-19-2012, 04:49 PM
The 617 used an inline M or MW pump, you can get larger elements for it. You can even send it off to Europe have it tuned. It'll run a couple grand after it's all said and done, but it'll come back with the ability to support about twice the HP of the stock one.

There is a guy in the US doing them cheaper.There was a write up on it over at http://www.superturbodiesel.com .

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
02-21-2012, 05:13 AM
but remember, it's not only about the injection pump... to convert a common-rail engine into mechanical injection it also would require all-mechanical injector tips...

coronan
11-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Guiles can custom build performance diesel pumps. He's on the east coast.
performancediesel.ca/performance.htm

SRT
01-07-2014, 09:52 PM
I have a fleet of Sprinters, and have seen over 500K miles on them.

BUT - when things DO start going wrong they are very expensive to fix. As for swapping an MB inline 5 CDI drivetrain into another vehicle, I think it would be far more headache than it's worth. You would be dealing with a lot of electronic issues, as it only takes one bad sensor in many cases to send the engine into "limp mode". You would have to swap in compatible wheel speed sensors, yaw sensor, steering wheel angle sensor.... you name it, there's a sensor for it - and every last one of them must be installed and operational before the factory ECU will let the engine run.

I'm actually considering swapping a simple, completely mechanical 4bt / Allison INTO one of my Sprinters that currently has a blown engine. I believe the MPG, serviceability and total cost of operation would compare favorably to the inline 5 CDI, though it would probably not be as enviro-friendly.

emboko
03-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Hi, SRT. seeing as you have them OM612 engines, or access to them, do you know what sensors are actually on the engine itself? what sensors are actually used to control it, say were it to power a veeery expensive water pump? forget all other inputs as used in the factory setting. there will be a sensor for fuel pressure, crank/cam angle, coolant temperature, air temperature/pressure(air flow), and exhaust gas probe. what else? knock sensor? the turbo(VNT) will be controlled by the ecu. but knowing exactly what sensors are on the engine can enable one to build a custom controller and get rid of the mercedes/Bosch magic box.please post any technical detail that is available on this engine.
these are very interesting engines. do not let interest in them die, people!

I have a fleet of Sprinters, and have seen over 500K miles on them.

BUT - when things DO start going wrong they are very expensive to fix. As for swapping an MB inline 5 CDI drivetrain into another vehicle, I think it would be far more headache than it's worth. You would be dealing with a lot of electronic issues, as it only takes one bad sensor in many cases to send the engine into "limp mode". You would have to swap in compatible wheel speed sensors, yaw sensor, steering wheel angle sensor.... you name it, there's a sensor for it - and every last one of them must be installed and operational before the factory ECU will let the engine run.

I'm actually considering swapping a simple, completely mechanical 4bt / Allison INTO one of my Sprinters that currently has a blown engine. I believe the MPG, serviceability and total cost of operation would compare favorably to the inline 5 CDI, though it would probably not be as enviro-friendly.

artieb
03-27-2014, 07:27 AM
I agree with emboko, diesel conversions has become increasingly popular. As time passes the VW and Cummins are becoming dinosaurs, extinct. The demand for suitable newer power plants will create an aftermarket support. Vw TDIs don't have displacement and 6BT is too big, too long, and heavy 4B's are heavy, vibrates and difficult to obtain. I know I would like a smooth, quiet, economical, dependable diesel for a 4-6000 # light duty pick up or SUV. I would like to do a Expedition.
The Sprinter 3.0 would seem to be the perfect fit? A stand alone ECM is something very doable. It's just wires and something to process inputs and appropriate outputs.
What would be the next generation of transplant diesel engines be, if not the Sprinter 3.0?
I know the whole Can-bus deal is a nightmare for us do it your-selfers. Thanks Artie

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
04-06-2014, 01:14 AM
aftermarket programmable stand-alone engine control modules are currently easy to find for gassers, so it might be just matter of time for them to become available for diesels too... well, since there are already some stand-alone units for stationary purposes, it doesn't seem so hard to set one for automotive application too...

a 4bt into a sprinter would be nice, but i'd rather use something a little lighter such as that steyr m-16 made under license by am general to fit into some military hummvees