: Electronic 4BT. With no rear gear Train

Amwise
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I was at the Cummins dealer the other day looking around the Core motors and i saw a 4BT with an Electronic injection pump. It even had the ECM with it..Kinda cool. No Rear gear train. I asked Chris about it and he said they are pretty rare and used in industrial applications.

Does anyone know how the ECM ladder logic is done and if it can be modified without any special softwear?

I think this would be a great setup if you can make it work. You would be able to make timing and fueling adjustments for rpm and so on. Where im at i have to pass a smoke test for diesel and i think this would be a great way to make adjustments for that and be able to change it back for the power level you want to run. Im kinda picturing a fueling box like edge or some of the other like they run on the newer trucks. Anyone ever get a look at one running? If anyone has some input i am all ears

If i can make it back down there i will take a camera and get some Pic's

kstaub
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
most likely you were looking at a qsb 4.5 with a bosch vp 30 inj. pump, you will need cummins insite to make any ajustments to the ecm.

Amwise
09-03-2008, 08:18 AM
No it was a 3.9 with the vp 30 injection pump. Like i say Chris said they are very rare but they are out there.

dieselcruiserhead
09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow, very cool...

Amwise
09-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I think i need to get some pictures.. I was doing some reading and the vp 40 came out as a short term solition to the emissions issues with the dodge trucks till the common rail was tested and released. So i think Cummins played with a few of the 4bt's with a vp30 to see how it would go.

kstaub
09-03-2008, 04:29 PM
i'd like to know the eng. serial #, I've never heard or seen of such an animal,
what did it come out of, i bet it was automotive, and not ind.

Amwise
09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Im not sure what it was out of. I want to find out too...Im going to try to get back down there and get some pics and some numbers... I wish i new what was the matter with it.. I want it but i dont want it if the injection system is junk.. I think it is siezed up i tryed to roll it over but it was stuck good. I can get it if i want it but it is going to cost a few buck.

kstaub
09-03-2008, 04:35 PM
im not doubting you im just curious myself.

kstaub
09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
yeah, a even a recon vp 30 will cost you more than they want for the eng, core.

bigbillyboy
09-04-2008, 11:31 AM
I was at the Cummins dealer the other day looking around the Core motors...

Can you do that?!?! I'm looking for another rebuild project and then conversion. But I definitely want something like the B3.3T or QSB3.3T, or the electronic version of the 4bt or 4.5....Just don't want to pay new prices for it.

Do you know someone at the dealer, or did you just ask about poking around the core engine pile?

Amwise
09-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I have a connection at the cummins Dealer..

wtfd6
09-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I would be curious of the engine number or the CPL.

CrewCab59
09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Can you do that?!?! I'm looking for another rebuild project and then conversion. But I definitely want something like the B3.3T or QSB3.3T, or the electronic version of the 4bt or 4.5....Just don't want to pay new prices for it.

Do you know someone at the dealer, or did you just ask about poking around the core engine pile?

When you buy a Cummins engine ,a core must be turned in or you get charged around $2000.00 added on top of the bill.Most of the time you can't just buy a core engine .

Scott

Mallo986
09-04-2008, 10:21 PM
one of my dealers has a couple QSB 3.9 he is looking to sell, one is low hour warranty take out the other is dusted.. will gladly get you his number if you are interested.....I had them in the classified section a while back. Can also supply serial #'s if you want them. Steve

wtfd6
09-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I might be interested.

Amwise
09-05-2008, 09:04 AM
one of my dealers has a couple QSB 3.9 he is looking to sell, one is low hour warranty take out the other is dusted.. will gladly get you his number if you are interested.....I had them in the classified section a while back. Can also supply serial #'s if you want them. Steve
Well i think i can get a pretty good deal on this one if i want it.. Im not sure how it would all work. The ECM is all good. But to put it in my truck i would have to try to figure out how to make the TPS work with it. I have talked to a few guys and if the voltage and everything is not just right the TPS will not work with the ECM I need to know what kind of application it was in. If it was automotive with a TPS i could use it but im not sure how they are contoling the pump.