: air cleaner and exhaust

cliff44
03-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I am in the process of putting a '94 5.9 cummins in an '82 chevy crew cab one ton. I am getting close to needing an air cleaner system and a exhaust downpipe. My question is does anyone have experience using a aftermarket air cleaner kit for this application? Would say a k&n system for a '94 dodge be anywhere close to working? Same with the exhaust downpipe. Just thought i'd ask if anyone has tried this before i order one and try it. Thanks!!

CrewCab59
03-01-2009, 05:52 PM
The dodge kn would only work if you have the air box or make one. I use AFE and if you go to there site and look @ the spec you can pick the filter you need.

The dodge down pipe won't just bolt on you have to cut and weld them to fit to clear the fire wall .

Scott

cliff44
03-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks Scott!! Any and all info is always appreciated!!

BlackCloud
03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
ya, definately spend the $$ and go with an AFE full intake system, well worth the money. i run AFE on my 6.2 and it really helped alot....

Sicnick
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
The downpipe that came with my truck ( i assume it was stock 90 dodge) was cut pretty short, but cleared the firewall just fine, I use a piece of flex to take it from there to the remainder of the tubing;)

turbos10
03-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I use an AFE as well. I use the stage5 dry with a prefilter. It made 2psi more boost over a k&n....

I used 4 inch mandrel bent exhaust tube facing forward and a rubber 90 degree elbow off of the compressor. I put a brace between the ic tube and the intake tube to support the filter.

cliff44
03-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I use an AFE as well. I use the stage5 dry with a prefilter. It made 2psi more boost over a k&n....

I used 4 inch mandrel bent exhaust tube facing forward and a rubber 90 degree elbow off of the compressor. I put a brace between the ic tube and the intake tube to support the filter.

So it sounds like you don't have dual batteries if I'm picturing this correctly? I thought about moving the pass. side battery to the drivers side to make more room for the air cleaner. Love to see a pic of your setup!

sdstriper
03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
So it sounds like you don't have dual batteries if I'm picturing this correctly? I thought about moving the pass. side battery to the drivers side to make more room for the air cleaner. Love to see a pic of your setup!

It sounds like the 1st Gen Dodge set-ups. The air cleaner housing is right behind the passenger side headlite tucked down into the fender, with the tube running right over to the turbo. This is just my opinion of course... A K&N is nothing more than a bird filter. Great for fire breathing race cars with engine building budgets...

turbos10
03-07-2009, 07:35 PM

MIne does have two batteries. However, my turbo location is back and down from most dodge setups. Here is a pic when I had the kn on it. Setup is the same with the new one, but I just have not taken pics.