: Engine in a Duece

Fiddleback
03-11-2009, 10:43 AM
What 6cylinder engine is in a military 2 1/2 truck. I have always love the truck and was thinking of buying one for the ranch. Great for the summer pasture building fence, running salt, ect.

Thanks,

WLP
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
The engine used in the Duce was called the "multifuel." It had a compensation device connected to the injector pump to (theoretically) allow the engine to run on any liquid that burned.

Here's a link that gives some details:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/584104603/m/975604261

southernstyle
03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd love to have one of those myself Fiddleback, except the bobbed version and a 6BTA.

Later,
SS

CREEPING DEATH
03-14-2009, 02:36 PM
It's probably an LDS-465 type multifuel. A 6BT fits nicely though!

CD

bootleg
03-14-2009, 05:28 PM
i believe its a ldt-465.contentinal made these as well as white but im not sure what whites' model was.most trucks had the multifuel part of the engine bypassed because of different problems.these are basically viscosity meters.these engines are easily "turned up" w a pump screw.

tiredsixfive
03-15-2009, 05:57 AM
They are LDT 465's.They are 472 cid,manufactured by White,Continental and Hercules.Indirect injection.Very reliable,start very easy and parts are readily available and interchange between the 3 manufacturers.I read that White purchased either Continental or Hercules somewhere along the line(I forget) They are great trucks.The turbo versions def run much better than the n/a ones.Specs say the turbo version only made about 30 horse more,but feels like much more to me.Mine will purr down the road all day @55 mph,gets aprox 8-9 mpg and starts without glowplugs even at -6 reliably.I have never had mine in much mud,as over 13 k lbs sounded like a lot of work ever getting it back out again.The carryout kids at the grocery store will run just to come out and see it,no tags at all and the cops wave at you and its shear size will keep people from pulling the stupid stuff in traffic.You can get a nice truck with winch and good rubber for aprox $3500.We purchased 6 of them in November-December and sold all but 1 winch truck which we need .No CDLs needed.With that many tires,it doesnt sink in our fields and make a mess.Once you get used to the odd shift pattern,you wont be able to shift anything properly again...

tiredsixfive
03-15-2009, 06:21 AM
They are a chunk of metal for sure..I dont know the weight

tiredsixfive
03-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Id like to resize my computer...note the ether bottle on the firewall,I have yet to use it..seems like a bomb waiting to happen...I even duct taped over the switch.

beck
03-15-2009, 08:36 AM
I had every intention to buy a deuce a few weeks ago. My wife had different thoughts. Eventually she won the battle. These things take up a lot of room and a large shop is required if working on one. I don't have the room or shop to have one. I was going to bob one. I did bid on a few on the GL auctions. Many of the deuce owners are running waste oil for fuel. The deuce since it is multifuel will run on things we wouldn't consider in the Cummins. Straight WMO isn't uncommon in the summer months. It doesn't matter if you only get 9mpg if the fuel is free.

For those unfamiliar with the bobbed deuce term here is the definition. Take one standard military deuce and a half. Remove the deuce bed. Remove the tandem rear axles. Install another front spring set in the rear. Install the rear tandem axle on the newly installed rear spring. The location of this axle varies a little depending on the builder. The frame is shortened and a military M105 1 1/2 ton trailer bed is installed or the original deuce bed is shortened and reinstalled. These things are cool.

GL had been auctioning them at a lot of sites. This is being changed to a few central autcion sites. I had been looking at the ones at Redstone Arsenal in AL. I went to preinspect some there. Some were nice others pretty rough. Jefferson City MO has had some very nice ones. The photos from the auction site don't tell everything. Dealing with GL can be a pain. A private purchase may be easier.

A great site to read more on the duece, maintaining them, and modifying them is StealSoldiers.Com The group is into all the military vehicles, not just deuces.

tiredsixfive
03-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Yes,GL is a major PITA. 51 days to get my titles.You have to watch their billing dept also.Getting on and off base isnt getting easier as well.Last report I read was there were aprox 7500 left to be sold.And a lot of stuff being bid against by FMS(foreign military sales) so I have to bid against foreigners to buy what MY tax $$ paid for to begin with.Dont forget the End Use Cert that you have to have,yet foreign countrys can openly bid??I would def pre screen if possible.Mechanically,we had good luck,only 1 bad trans out of 6 trucks.They dont drip or leak and were in very good condition overall.On the waste mineral oil,I was given two drums,but have been afraid to try it yet.It was oil taken from non PCB transformers.I thought I would do a 75/25 mix with diesel and see what happens.It has a list on dash of fuels that are safe,some I have never heard of before.It says that gasoline is acceptable as long as not aviation fuel.

03-16-2009, 10:33 PM
I like this version of bobbing a deuce waaaay better. but I guess this is a 5ton looks like> no?

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/demon_044/Deuce4x4.jpg

beck
03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
153642, That is a deuce. It is built just like I described. That is a M105 trailer bed on the back. One thing I did forget to say in my description is the use of oversized tires and the rear axle singled out. There are 2 methods used to single out the rears. One is special offset wheels. The wheel is mounted with big backspacing in the front and big front spacing in the rear. The same wheels are used just flipped. These would be aftermarket wheels. The 2nd method is to flip the rear hubs. Then wheels with the same backspacing are used front and rear. The tires and wheels are the major expense of doing the bobbed deuce. Tires are available surplus under $1000. The wheels are about $1200 for the set. Some guys have been widening the stock deuce wheels. It is a lot of work. The cutting and welding need to be top quality for strength and trueness.

The truck in the photo would have been more expensive than most.This truck also has a heater which many do not. The winch, hardtop, and heater drive the prices up.
A nice option to install in these trucks is a multifuel fired heater. These are like the gas and diesel heaters and actually have a flame to provide heat. The water heaters have a hard time keeping up in cold weather. These deuces are getting a little old and their weather seals are failing. There is no insulation in the cabs nor carpet or pad on the floor. It is hard to heat a vented tin can. Add a soft top and it gets worse. A lot of the soft tops have the artic kit which helps. The trucks are noisy for the same reasons mentioned. Ear protection is recomended.

Diesel Durango
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
another example...

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/snakeaterphotos/IMG_0519.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/snakeaterphotos/IMG_0522.jpg

beck
03-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Diesel Durango's post shows a deuce without a heater and obviously without a top. It does still have the desireable winch. This bobbed deuce has a shortened deuce bed. The tires are probably 1600x20. The wheels look like they were built by USA 6x6 which is out of bussiness.
153642's post shows a deuce with stock style wheels. I cant tell for sure if they are widened on this truck or not. For highway use the wheels need to be wider than stock to use the oversized tires.

Using the winch on these trucks requires caution. They are originally equiped with an aluminum sheer pin. This pin is there for a reason. The PTO winch can make enough power to self destruct without some limiting factor. The aluminum pin is the weak link. Many have replaced this pin with a steel bolt. If you do not know what you are doing with the winch the steel bolt will cause destruction and personal injury. The winch is a desireable option, but it will cause front tire wear. If your are looking for a parade truck or a road use truck and it will not see any off road use I would choose a truck without the winch. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Fiddleback
03-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I do like the bobbed look bounce bounce

I was looking and dreaming... I'm sure the wife would move my things in with the dog's. More to the point, move them inside, and I would stay outside...

The Deuce would be a great for what I would want it for. The winch would be needed to pull fence/trees. Again it's a great dream.

I was wondering about the engine also for use in a pick-up or car hauler. Modifications would be needed, along with some higher gears.

A co-worker informed me that the top speed (of the ones he drove) was about 55 down hill, with no power steering. Driving one 1800 miles to Wyoming would outlast my rear..:( :(

Thanks for the information..... and Maybe, one of these years....

southernstyle
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Okay Beck, I give up. How could you tell the first truck had a heater and the second one didn't? I'm sure I'm about to feel stupid.......
Later,
SS

beck
03-17-2009, 10:12 PM
The engines are pretty old technology. The new diesels will out power them and get better economy. The thing I love about them is that they do run on nearly anything. Some of the trucks being auctioned by GL have nearly new rebuilt motors. Previewing will let you see the good and bad of each.

The top speed goes up to highway speeds when the large tires are added to the bobbed ones. Tire size is limited on a standard tandem deuce because the rear tires won't clear. You can oversize the tandem tires, just not as much. The tandems work nice singled out also.

These motors are big and heavy. I would think a 1 ton chassis would be the minimum you could swap one into if the suspension was going to survive.