: 4BD1T swap in a Tundra??

4bt4toy
06-15-2007, 08:06 AM
hello. Im really new to the Isuzu diesel swap concept. heres my idea i cant get out of my head. i have a 2001 Toyota Tundra 4x4 access cab with the 4.7 V-8. ive been trying to sell it for months with absolutely no luck. the only reason i dont drive the truck is the gas mileage. as it is right now its looking like im going to have to take a loss of $5-7000 over my purchase price less than 2 years ago. if i could swap in an Isuzu 4BD1T and get 25-30 mpg it would be my perfect truck. so if i take the money im theoretically losing to do the swap am i really losing anything? the newer 1/2 ton chevy that isuzudieselswapper has done is whats inspired me. so to those that actually have experience with this motor, is this even remotely feasible or is it just a crazy dream thats keeping me up at night?

Dougal
06-15-2007, 06:24 PM
hello. Im really new to the Isuzu diesel swap concept. heres my idea i cant get out of my head. i have a 2001 Toyota Tundra 4x4 access cab with the 4.7 V-8. ive been trying to sell it for months with absolutely no luck. the only reason i dont drive the truck is the gas mileage. as it is right now its looking like im going to have to take a loss of $5-7000 over my purchase price less than 2 years ago. if i could swap in an Isuzu 4BD1T and get 25-30 mpg it would be my perfect truck. so if i take the money im theoretically losing to do the swap am i really losing anything? the newer 1/2 ton chevy that isuzudieselswapper has done is whats inspired me. so to those that actually have experience with this motor, is this even remotely feasible or is it just a crazy dream thats keeping me up at night?

Have you got enough height to fit one in?

What gearbox are you using?

Those are your two biggest concerns IMO. If they're fine then there's a bigger list of smaller concerns.

4bt4toy
06-15-2007, 09:14 PM
the height issue i have no idea yet. how tall is a 4bd1? gearbox i am open to ideas/suggestions. id like to keep it auto for daily driver simplicity. id also like to maintain 4 wheel drive. im not particularly fond of a 700R4 but it would serve the purpose and one could be built to handle it. i have yet to find anyone who has done any type of diesel swap in a tundra. im just curious if its even a doable idea.

Dougal
06-16-2007, 06:11 PM
My 4BD1T is currently on my garage floor, it's 730mm tall (bottom of sump to top of rocker cover) and 755mm long from back of bellhousing to front of water pump.

Don't know if it's possible to use it with your toyota auto, I know toyota autos have been mated to these engines, but not which models.

4bt4toy
06-17-2007, 07:37 PM
i know the computer controls both the engine and transmission. so that pretty much rules out using the toyota tranny once the engine is gone. I emailed isuzudieselswapper, hes pretty confident it would fit. if he has one in a 1/2 ton chevy it gives me alot of hope.

Dougal
06-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Have you seen this thread?
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=128585

If you take the transmission that Isuzudieselswapper has sorted, then your only issues are clearance, engine mounts and about 5 wires (4 are alternator).

Wyle E. Coyote
06-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Oh my! After taking the last few days to read through all the posts in that link, I think I'm suffering from a bit of vapor lock of the brain! :eek: LOL The whole thing has my head spinning. A440, A450, FZ62, BD240, IHC345,... my pea brain is still smoldering from the code numbers for all these trannies/t-cases! Maybe if I knew what they came from and their configuration I'd understand it all better. :confused: (Then again, the last time I was seriously into swapping and stuff the 700R4 was a fairly new trans. :eek: )

I came away with a decision (of sorts) and a couple of questions. Hopefully this will help 4bt4toy answer his questions too. If not, please excuse the hijack. :emb:

Through it all I have decided upon the 4bt2t motor. Mainly because of it being an IDI (indiredt injection) that it is better for use on WVO (to my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong). I will be running mine on homebrew BioDiesel, so this appeals to me. I may incorporate a WVO kit so I can go either way. That way on a road trip, I really don't have to go back to dino Diesel or haul a bunch of extra fuel with me to get home.

The question I have is this; what's the big deal about using the auto tranny that comes from Izuzu in these trucks? My thinking is that the biggest thing is to mate it to a t-case. I'm sure they are durable enough otherwise. If they're built to last 300k miles in a loaded truck weighing in at 15-25k lbs, it should last until my grandchildren get my truck! My Scout is gonna run at about 5k lbs most of the time, unless I'm towing something. The idea of the Diesel swap for me is dependable long life with great fuel effeciency and flexibility.

So, how hard could it be to adapt a t-case to it that works with the application you are running, to whatever auto comes or can go behind the engine you buy? It seemed (to me anyway), that in that link there were some swaps that would be using two adapters to bolt the trans and engine together, then another for the t-case. Is it really that difficult? Or are people willing to do just about anything to run something they know or trust? What am I missing here?

Dougal
06-25-2007, 01:05 AM
The question I have is this; what's the big deal about using the auto tranny that comes from Izuzu in these trucks? My thinking is that the biggest thing is to mate it to a t-case. I'm sure they are durable enough otherwise. If they're built to last 300k miles in a loaded truck weighing in at 15-25k lbs, it should last until my grandchildren get my truck! My Scout is gonna run at about 5k lbs most of the time, unless I'm towing something. The idea of the Diesel swap for me is dependable long life with great fuel effeciency and flexibility.

That auto is a big question mark.
I have yet to find anyone who used one who can comment on it. For or against.
They won't be easy to find, but there was one on Ebay last week.

4bt4toy
06-25-2007, 04:49 PM
the biggest reason for not u sing the isuzu trans would be the lack of overdrive. unless i missed something i think the 5th gear was always just a 1:1. with having 4.10 gears an overdrive is a huge neccessity. otherwise id be very inclined to adapt a t-case onto the factory isuzu trans, which as was pointed out, has to be damn bulletproof in such a light-duty application.

Dougal
06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
the biggest reason for not u sing the isuzu trans would be the lack of overdrive. unless i missed something i think the 5th gear was always just a 1:1. with having 4.10 gears an overdrive is a huge neccessity. otherwise id be very inclined to adapt a t-case onto the factory isuzu trans, which as was pointed out, has to be damn bulletproof in such a light-duty application.

All the trucks we got here had overdrive boxes, but they were all manual. Check the thread I put in here with gearboxes and gear ratios.
If you can find the specs on that auto box then you'll have the answer.

Wyle E. Coyote
06-27-2007, 03:04 PM

I think an easy solution to that would be an overdrive unit. You would only be using it in 2wd mode anyway, so an OD box might be the best answer. You have the room, lengthwise anyway.

I'm looking into doing it another way, as I don't have the luxury of a long wheelbase. I'm thinking that if I determine my crusing speed @ 1500 and tire size, that I can get a gear ratio close to what that number needs to be. I'd imagine that with 5 forward speeds and the torque of the Diesel, I should have no problems getting up to speed. :D

As far as adapting it to the TC, I have a buddy that makes his own crawler box that goes between the trans and TC. Should give me enough of a reduction for off road to do whatever I need, and make adapting it up easy. :)

Dougal
06-27-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm looking into doing it another way, as I don't have the luxury of a long wheelbase. I'm thinking that if I determine my crusing speed @ 1500 and tire size, that I can get a gear ratio close to what that number needs to be. I'd imagine that with 5 forward speeds and the torque of the Diesel, I should have no problems getting up to speed. :D

I'd shoot for 1800-2000rpm at cruise.
1500 will put you below maximum boost, which will just be annoying unless you start swapping turbos.

4bt4toy
06-30-2007, 10:45 AM
well i actually sold the tundra the other day, so as intriguing of a project as this sounded its not going to be neccessary! however... my only other vehicle now is an 86 f-250 with a 460. 10/7.5 mpg empty/towing really sucks! so im kinda thinking maybe a swap in that old beast may not be too far out of the question!! would the 4bd pull around a 7000lb truck plus a 7000lb trailer decently or is it not quite enough??

Wyle E. Coyote
06-30-2007, 03:56 PM
If you just sold the Tundra, why don't you just go buy a Dodge CTD truck? Just curious.

As for the GVW question, in my non-expert opinion, I would guess a yes. I believe these trucks (like the NPR, which I have a little experience with) were rated up to 15 or 20k GVW. I know that the one I drove never seemed to strain when we loaded it heavy. But then again I ran short distances over relatively flat ground.

Dougal
06-30-2007, 04:41 PM
well i actually sold the tundra the other day, so as intriguing of a project as this sounded its not going to be neccessary! however... my only other vehicle now is an 86 f-250 with a 460. 10/7.5 mpg empty/towing really sucks! so im kinda thinking maybe a swap in that old beast may not be too far out of the question!! would the 4bd pull around a 7000lb truck plus a 7000lb trailer decently or is it not quite enough??

It all depends on how fast you like to go.
If you tow mostly on the flat then aerodynamics are a bigger factor than weight.
If you tow up and down hills then it all depends how fast (or slow) you think is acceptable.

Basically in stock form it's a 330Nm engine, if you've got the factory torque curve then we can tell you how much power and torque you've currently got at towing speeds at the moment. Comparing those two will help you a lot.

4bt4toy
07-02-2007, 04:12 PM
well the money from the tundra is paying off some bills. trying to get as much out of debt as possible before getting a mortgage. the old ford is already mine. with a more economical motor (diesel!) i would actually drive it! picking up a motor and stuff for a couple grand versus $8000+ is more budget friendly. plus the truck has been in the family since brand new and i grew up in it so its sentimental. as far as the power goes the 460 doesnt do anything to impress me. its alot of hilly terrain where i live. if i was getting 20 mpg empty and 16 towing i wouldnt really care if i cant do 70mph up a grade.

iman901
03-22-2008, 11:52 PM

14000lbs wont be a problem these engines were made to move a 20000lb+ truck.
I think a cummins 4bt would be an easier swap in the ford since there are adapters to bolt them up to your transmission.