Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

89 Ford F350 - Cummins 6BT

19K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  rebar 
#1 · (Edited)
I just thought you'd like to see one that was working well, I just bought it, the truck needs a lot of work but it's usable.

ETA List of a few things not working

1. No tachometer
2. No speedometer (needs cable)
3. Has crappy cheap gauges for oil pressure, water temp and alternator output. Needs new gauges.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I replaced the speedometer cable so far but have been dealing with what appears to be an intermittent air leak in the fuel lines. I am not too sure what the problem is as we've gone over it from injector to fuel tank without finding anything. I really hope it's not my injector fuel pump. I priced it online it's about $750 plus core deposit for a replacement Bosch.

#7 ·
I keep running into a fuel line problem between the fuel tank and the lift pump, the lift pump runs dry. To fix it all I have to do is drain a bit of air from the line just in front of the lift pump just after I refill the fuel tank. We're going to drop the fuel tanks Monday to check all the lines.

#9 ·
Interesting truck. Strange, that isn't 89 sheet metal. 1987 thru 1991 were the same body. I have a 90. The front end is between 80 and 86 style. Of course the vin # on the cab is how it's titled. I think the sheet metal all the way up to 98 could be swapped. Great find.

#10 ·
Hi, yes, I thought I said that but it's got an 85 front-end. The VIN matches the title which is for an 89 F350 but the person who did all the work told me the front-end on the original 1989 was trashed. I like the 85 front-end better than the 89 for sure.

I love this truck but all my money is being sucked into catching up with all the problems. Sooner or later I will be caught up then I'll get her painted.

I need to get my hands on the modules for both front and rear fuel tanks where the fuel pump and sender are located. These are mangled both senders are dead, the person who did the conversion just threw out the gas fuel pumps and stuck them back in but the rear tank's fuel pick up is too short and she's sucking air at about half a tank. Bad Juju for a diesel engine of course.

I've also just installed an 80-gallon RDS aluminum tank in the bed and will soon connect it into the front tank's filler tube for 106 gallons online.

I love this truck (to repeat myself)

Also, to correct something earlier the only problem was not the fuel-tank selector though that was bad as well, it solved problems using the front-tank but the rear tank as noted above is still NFG thanks to the too-short fuel pickup. I have to drop the tank soon to fix that, just no time yet.

Attachments

#14 ·
It's been a long time. I just got her out of the body shop.

I had a very expensive body restore done, even painted inside the doors, and under the hood. I don't have the engine compartment pictures with me today, I'll update soon.

I just wanted people to see how she turned out. PS I even put a Cummins logo on her.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Pickup truck

#16 ·
She's a beaut Clark.

#17 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

I have spent a lot of time rebuilding every thing (from fuel lines to lift pump to sender assemblies), brakes, rebuilt transmission, new clutch and pressure-plate, fixed several bad oil leaks, new toyo tires 35.12.50R17 load range D, new windshield (scheduled in 2-weeks), I replaced the entire door seals and rubber around the windows including the anti-rattle stuff, replaced worn-out regulators on the front doors, replaced all the connectors and switch assy in the steering column, 2 new (stock) horns. I still don't have a tachometer on it, will most likely follow the consensus but hoping to get a digital dash installed to eliminate all the old fashioned gauges. It's all about money. My full-sized Bronco just needed a new set of (5) tires I'm understanding that one can have too many vehicles as I have a nice F250 with 460 in it I hardly drive any more. The interior will be next as I am going to try to put some bucket seats in the front with a center-console and a Toughbook (laptop) dock to replace worn-out front bench-seat. I also need (2) new front "Dark Red" door panels as the ones on there are beige right now. I also desperately need truck steps now that I cut off the ugly nerf-bars. This is not a great example of my writing skills but I was in a hurry and wanted to just mention everything that came to mind. I am really worried about our country, if nothing else look at the price of large tires OMG.

Bye for now I know I just sort of hit and run but my life is hell and I just don't have time to socialize much. God Bless Everyone.

#19 ·
cedartree. PM me the info and i can post them for you. your truck looks great by the way

#22 ·
Veeeeery nice. I just gave my old 96 crew 7.3 to my Brother in law for small change. I miss the ole girl already.

#23 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the comments and the suggestions. I will follow up on the tachometer!

The compliments aren't deserved for anything other than sheer perseverance and how much money I was willing to spend, sigh. She looks wonderful but right now I just need her to be reliable as it's my main vehicle now.

I have an 87 full-sized Bronco and a 1994 F250 but I plan on selling the latter soon.

That truck used to be my main vehicle but the F350 has reached a point where I think it's reliable. I can't afford to keep all of these vehicles going, tires really are expensive nowadays, ugh.

#25 ·
Beautiful Truck! Even with New Mexico Snow on it! Hows it been running out for you? Did you ever get the Tac working?

I did my Cummins Conversion on my 89 F350 6 years ago, and that was the ONLY thing that I couldn't get working. After a number of attempts I just installed an aftermarket tac that runs off the alternator. Works great!

#26 · (Edited)
I really apologize for not replying to you sooner.

I haven't touched the tachometer issue yet. I've been working on the interior though. I replaced the two front door panels with new ones that matched and I got the rear window seal installed (the metal trim-looking thing around the back window) it had been missing since re-painting.

I also got steps! They're a bit lower than I had wished for but the guy who put them on said he'd help me raise them a bit higher. It might seem picky but out here I'd like to eke out a few more inches of clearance if possible.

I do plan on fixing the tachometer but not until I tackle the entire dash issue, I was thinking about a digital dash to be honest.

Well here are the latest pictures. The steps are from a 2005 Ford truck. I think it was a Super Duty but I am not certain.

Here is a closeup.

I kind of feel bad I don't have anything engine-related done but I haven't been able to circle back to get to some of that right now I am still working on the interior and some of the exterior body stuff.

I am also scheduled to get that B & W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch installed soon so I can start towing something useful with it. I already ordered the hitch but it's been sitting in a box for 6-months now.

I can post something engine-related, I guess. I am buying a donor vehicle soon so I can have a new engine ready when the time comes. I plan on removing it, getting it rebuilt, then crated. I figure if nothing else it's an investment that I could re-sell it If I had to, and might actually be worth it's weight in silver someday :) (I would have said gold but that's headed higher than $2000 per ounce soon.)

I hope everything is going well with you. To everyone else I say Hail! I know I'm not much of a forum participant but my life is only work and sleep now mostly :/

I hope everyone is prepared for what is coming.

#27 ·
So did the tach ever get fixed? I want to put a pump 12 valve with nv4500 in my 88 F350 crew cab 4x4. I'm interested in seeing how to hook up the tach for my swap. What motor mounts do you have? And what fen of engine, trans, and t case did you use? Lift, wheel, and tire specs? Looks sweet. I want to repaint mine black with a skirted hauler bed and a dually conversion. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.