Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

turbo recomendations for a 3.5L

8K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  carcrafter22 
#1 ·
I am looking for recomendations on turbos for a nissan fd35t. The engine will have upgraded injectors and fuel pump, its a 3.5L engine so its smaller than a 4bt and I think an he341 might be just a little too big for it. The motor will be going into a 2003 chevy 1500HD crew cab truck that should weigh roughly 6000-6500 pounds ( I really dont know for sure though). This will be primarily a max mpg vehicle and used for comuting back and forth to work and ocassional towing of a 20ft bass boat. My dad would like it to get max mpgs and still not struggle towing the bass boat here in Tx, he understands it wont be a power house like his duramax powered truck but as long as it will make it up a hill and still get over 20mpgs empty he will love it.

I am thinking hx30 or a similar vvt turbo, can anyone make other suggestions?

#6 ·
Yes the turbo is an HT15-5B and looks very small. I would think if its a garret it would say garrett (since I have never seen one without the garret name on it) so it may be a hitatchi. I know I need to find out all the info I can about it since I am considering using it in a small twin set.

The motor uses the same kiki ( bosch) A pump as my 3.9L isuzu so fueling wont be a problem at least thats my guess as of now. I will be going with modded injectors from sheid to help with fueling so I can spool the turbos fast.

As for turbo ideas, I am thinking a single he341 would be a little big for this motor but I have never messed with a diesel this size so I would have to try it and see.

right now I am planning to try all these setups while its still in the original chassis so I can test drive them each around the house and decide from there.

1. stock turbo as a single
2. stock turbo w/ he341VGT
3. Holset he341cw as a single
4. Holset he341 VGT as a single

I would like to find an hx30,hx35 and hx40 to also try some different ideas on this motor. I dont want to go big with these turbos at all since this will be for max mpg's and daily commuting only. Reliability is paramount and mpg's are also a high priority, I just dont want this thing to be a slug if my dad chooses to tow the bass boat with it for some reason instead of his tuned up Dmax powered truck.

Some things that are going through my mind.

1. Would it be a better idea to just toss on an hx30 as a single?
2. How does the stock turbo compare to the hx30? (I dont know the hx30's specs or the stocker)
3. I wonder if the stock turbo would work well with the 341vgt turbo I have and not have any kind of surge. I doubt it would but would the stock turbos turbine housing be a restriction? If its a restriction I would need to make a header with an external wastegate to bypass more exhaust to the primary turbo to help spool.

4. I would like to go with a small vgt single turbo but I dont think I will have much luck finding one in the size I would need so twins may be the best bet and they would have cool factor.

5. The stock turbo looks very similar to the stock turbo on my 4bd1t but the nissans turbo has an internal wastegate, if it is I bet its too small to make much power and could hinder performance even on a small compound setup.

What do you guys think? am I rambling too much?

#7 ·
Here is a pic of the HT15-B turbo. This is similar in size to the isuzu3.9L T25.

The HT15-B has an internal wastegate but I am not sure what size it is although I will measure it when I get back home and take it apart to measure the wheels.

Notice how the cartridge is sitting at an agle of about 30-35* off center. I have always been told you need to keep the oil inlet and outlet as close to verticle as possible but aparently the factory thinks otherwise. Weird.

#10 ·
Yes the turbo is water cooled. What line are you talking about? the one coming from the back to the turbo is the oil feed line. The one coming off the back of the cylinder head is the coolant filter line.

#13 ·
So not alot of turbo recomendations for this engine but anyone know anything about these?

gt3267v
gt3063v

anyone know where to find them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.