4BD1T into Toyota T100 pickup
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4BD1T into Toyota T100 pickup

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 4BD1T into Toyota T100 pickup

After spending several months lurking on this forum and learning a great deal from the efforts of others, I've got a semi-formulated plan in mind for a replacement for my gas burning daily driver.

DieselTim lives about 40 miles from me and about a month ago I spent a Sunday afternoon at his shop asking lots of questions and generally making a nuisance of myself.

Even before meeting with Tim I had decided that any conversion I did would include a manual transmission with overdrive. After seeing Tim's 4BD to NV4500 conversion I was convinced that this is the best solution for me.

Anyway, I'm hoping to put together a 93-98 Toyota T100 extended cab 2WD pickup truck with a 4BD1T and a Dodge NV4500 five speed transmission. I think that most of these 95% full-sized trucks came with a 4.10 ratio rear end and a few with a 3.90 rear. I'm hoping to end up with a 3.90 or higher ratio differential as this will be a running-down-the-highway truck with little or no towing involved.

Does anyone see any potential problems with the above plan for what will be a daily driver for me?

Also, what is the RPM range for a stock 4BD and does it have an RPM sweet spot that could be reasonably maintained for cruising? I am hoping for a vehicle cruise speed around 60 MPH / 100 KPH.

Thanks for listening - Roger

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

My "now" project is a 4BD2TC w/ 700R4 in a 2000 Toyota Tundra quad cab. Almost done. The engine dropped right in. This is the most simple swap I have ever done. It's like Toyota made this truck for a 4BD Isuzu. Everything lines up; a/c compressor, power steering pump, changed spline end of drive shaft to Chevy and all u joints same as Chevy. Toyota motor mounts same as Isuzu etc. Should be a good driver and pull like a mule

I'm sharing this from an e-mail from Dave of isuzudieselswappers.I hope the T100 is as easy for you.sure does make it easier when you choose 2wd.Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post

Also, what is the RPM range for a stock 4BD and does it have an RPM sweet spot that could be reasonably maintained for cruising? I am hoping for a vehicle cruise speed around 60 MPH / 100 KPH.

Thanks for listening - Roger
    For the purpose of calculating gearing for cruise speed:
    1800 rpm engine speed is going to be close to what will give best fuel economy.
    up to 2000 rpm engine speed will be reasonably good.
    2500 rpm is highest I would be happy with.

Max engine rpm depends on governor calibration - can be up to 3600 rpm stock, but may be closer to 3000 rpm for some.

The stock, governed pump speed (1/2 engine speed) for idle and max rpm is marked on the tag fixed to the rear of the governor cover.

Edit: the screw for adjusting idle speed is readily accessed on top of the governor. The max speed screw is alongside, but should have a shroud fitted to prevent tampering, if the pump hasn't been touched.

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coog View Post
    My "now" project is a 4BD2TC w/ 700R4 in a 2000 Toyota Tundra quad cab. Almost done. The engine dropped right in. This is the most simple swap I have ever done. It's like Toyota made this truck for a 4BD Isuzu. Everything lines up; a/c compressor, power steering pump, changed spline end of drive shaft to Chevy and all u joints same as Chevy. Toyota motor mounts same as Isuzu etc. Should be a good driver and pull like a mule

I'm sharing this from an e-mail from Dave of isuzudieselswappers.I hope the T100 is as easy for you.sure does make it easier when you choose 2wd.Good luck.
    Coog, thanks for sharing this. When I was talking this project up with DieselTim, I was thinking about putting the diesel in a 1962-72 Chevy 1/2 ton mostly thinking about the "cool" factor. In the cold light of day I realized that at my age I would much prefer a tight 3500 lb truck with A/C, power steering and brakes.

I'm really encouraged by what Dave says in his email to you. I'm hoping for a straight forward conversion with a minimum of fabrication.

-Roger

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bush65 View Post
    For the purpose of calculating gearing for cruise speed:
    1800 rpm engine speed is going to be close to what will give best fuel economy.
    up to 2000 rpm engine speed will be reasonably good.
    2500 rpm is highest I would be happy with.

Max engine rpm depends on governor calibration - can be up to 3600 rpm stock, but may be closer to 3000 rpm for some.

The stock, governed pump speed (1/2 engine speed) for idle and max rpm is marked on the tag fixed to the rear of the governor cover.

Edit: the screw for adjusting idle speed is readily accessed on top of the governor. The max speed screw is alongside, but should have a shroud fitted to prevent tampering, if the pump hasn't been touched.
    John, thanks for all the info. I did some calculations using the stock tire dimensions for the T100, assuming a 3.90 rear end, and running in overdrive at 2000 RPM and it comes out to just over the 60MPH / 100KPH that I am looking for.

-Roger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    I was thinking about putting the diesel in a 1962-72 Chevy 1/2 ton mostly thinking about the "cool" factor. In the cold light of day I realized that at my age I would much prefer a tight 3500 lb truck with A/C, power steering and brakes.
    And why wouldn't the Chevy have a/v power steering or brakes? As the owner of a 72 GMC 1/2t 4x4 with a 4bd1tI have all those things. And with the vacuum pump on the Isuzu alternator the power brakes work way better than they did with my high hp 383 stroker for sure!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.