96 7.3 Powerstroke (Removing the chip or reprogram?)
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 96 7.3 Powerstroke (Removing the chip or reprogram?)

Thanks

Default 96 7.3 Powerstroke (Removing the chip or reprogram?)

Guys, sorry to sound like a fool, but I've had a powerstroke for several years now and I suspect that it is programmed or chipped. I know little about either, so I am asking for some advice...

This was done prior to my purchase, and, if it is indeed programmed, I do not have the programmer.

If it is "chipped", I do not even know where to look for it plugged into the harness. Any advice?

What I want to do is put the thing back to stock. I really do not know what this entails, without the programmer on-hand that was used. If it is chipped, and if I could find it, then will removing it simply put it back to stock? Or removing it and unhooking the batteries to reset? As you can see, I know little about this. If it is programmed, can I just unhook batteries and will that reset the ECM to stock? I just don't know sh*t about this stuff.

I've done some searching on the web and cannot find what I'm looking for. So, I thought my trusty friends here might be able to help...

Incidentally, the thing seems to be "programmed" for topend, in that it takes the turbo a long time to spool, but once it does, the thing launches.

Anything you guys can contribute will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    92 F150 4x4, 4BT, Mazda 5spd., 2 1/2" into 3" straight pipe exhaust
    96 F250 4x4, Powerstroke, 5 spd., 4" straight pipe dual exhaust
    "When all else fails, go to South America"

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Ok if it is chipped here is the easy way to check.

The Emergency Brake pedal has 3 - 13mm nuts that hold it on. Remove those 3 nuts and the ebrake pedal will swing away enough to look at the PCM. (Disclaimer: make sure the parking brake is NOT set.) You can swing it away if there is a chip on there you will see it right off. If you see just a black cap over the end of the PCM there is no Chip.

If the truck is indeed programmed there is only one way to get the programming off the truck. You have to go down to the dealer and have them reflash the PCM. Kind of costly to do.

BTW why return it to stock?

If you have any questions give me a shout at 409-383-4766
    1968 Ford Bronco, Cummins 4bt, NP435, NP205, 4.5" lift and 1.5" aluminum body lift

http://cptrucks.com/images/cptruckBannerAd1.gif

Thanks

Thanks Stroker, I'll check it out and see what I find. May give you a call...

I was afraid of that w/the programmer. I honestly do not know what's been done if anything - but I would like to know. It just seems like it spools kind of late, like it's set up for higher rpms - of course, something else could be causing that as well. As I said, I'm just trying to do some detective work. It pulls fine, drives fine, runs fine...but when you stomp it, say, in 2nd gear, it's kind of slow until a certain rpm and then it spools like hell and throws alot of boost. Makes me suspect that someone tweaked something...I've owned several and this one just feels a little different.

Stroker, if the thing indeed has been programmed, about how much does Ford charge to "reflash" the computer? On a similar note, can Ford plug in and automatically tell if it's indeed programmed, or is set to stock? If they deem it's at stock, that would just be a code read, as far as expense?

Oh, and if it is programmed, can a guy just get another random programmer and reprogram it? Will that work? The only thing would seem to be that it would record the modified (programmed prior) setting as "stock". In other words, if I used another programmer, and wanted to put it back to stock, it would only put it back to the parameters that it is at right now. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks for your help. I hope to get to the bottom of this soon.

Wayne
    Last edited by mineitnow; 10-13-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    92 F150 4x4, 4BT, Mazda 5spd., 2 1/2" into 3" straight pipe exhaust
    96 F250 4x4, Powerstroke, 5 spd., 4" straight pipe dual exhaust
    "When all else fails, go to South America"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mineitnow View Post
    Thanks Stroker, I'll check it out and see what I find. May give you a call...

I was afraid of that w/the programmer. I honestly do not know what's been done if anything - but I would like to know. It just seems like it spools kind of late, like it's set up for higher rpms - of course, something else could be causing that as well. As I said, I'm just trying to do some detective work. It pulls fine, drives fine, runs fine...but when you stomp it, say, in 2nd gear, it's kind of slow until a certain rpm and then it spools like hell and throws alot of boost. Makes me suspect that someone tweaked something...I've owned several and this one just feels a little different.

That doesn't really sound like a programmer

Stroker, if the thing indeed has been programmed, about how much does Ford charge to "reflash" the computer? On a similar note, can Ford plug in and automatically tell if it's indeed programmed, or is set to stock? If they deem it's at stock, that would just be a code read, as far as expense?
    I think its a $200 charge but all Ford dealers vary. They will be able to tell if you ask them to check.

Oh, and if it is programmed, can a guy just get another random programmer and reprogram it? Will that work? The only thing would seem to be that it would record the modified (programmed prior) setting as "stock". In other words, if I used another programmer, and wanted to put it back to stock, it would only put it back to the parameters that it is at right now. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks for your help. I hope to get to the bottom of this soon.

Wayne
    You can't get another programmer and reprogram it. The programmers don't work that way. Once you install a programmer it vin locks the truck. If you try to install a new programmer it will not read the truck because the Vin is locked and that is what a programmer uses to read the truck.
    1968 Ford Bronco, Cummins 4bt, NP435, NP205, 4.5" lift and 1.5" aluminum body lift

http://cptrucks.com/images/cptruckBannerAd1.gif

+ Reply to Thread