6BT in a GMC, FWD, motorhome???
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6BT in a GMC, FWD, motorhome???

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 6BT in a GMC, FWD, motorhome???

Hi,
    New guy here with my first post.
    I have a 1974 GMC motorhome with the 455 Olds front wheel drive. The engine needs serious help. Rather than rebuilding it, I was wondering if anyone has ever done a 6BT swap. As it happens, I have a fresh 12 valve engine. The FWD set up uses a modified turbo 400 that is split behind the torque converter. The TC is mounted in the usual position behind the engine (the engine is mounted front to back) and the balance of the trans. is turned back end forward and connected to the TC by a monster chain drive. The bell housing is typical GM Buick-Olds-Pontiac (BOP) bolt pattern.
    Many thanks in advance for suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

First thing I can think of is that it would be difficult and most likely expensive to get an adapter. Second I don't know how much I would trust the chain, even if it is some ungodly monstrousity of a thing.
    Jonny 1983 C-20, 2wd, 6bt, Getrag (sold); 1966, C30 Flat Bed, Cummins in Progress; 1992 Honda Accord
    "Honor.....simply put, A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
    -AEC Hundley USNR

Thanks

There was a similar post in the transmission section here a week or two ago. Might want to search there as well. I believe Winnebago had a similar setup using a diesel for a utility van at some point in the past. To my knowledge a similar swap has not been done here. And there is little information here on the subject.
    1989 D250 CTD, 727HD, D70/3.07, BHAF, DIY Cold air, Tuned VE, 4" exhaust

Thanks

There is an old thread in the classifieds where a front wheel drive 4BT stepvan was parted out. Think the reason was constant cv joint problems.
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

New Registered User
    Thanks

Thanks fou your input.

As it turns out, the origional drive trane is in MUCH better condition than I was told. Because of that and other facts, I'm no longer considering the swap.

I still have a 6BT with zero hours on it (and all of the Dodge accessories) that I'm not using....Anyone need it?

+ Reply to Thread