Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Which Diesel into 77 FJ-40

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  vorteccruiser 
#1 ·
Newbie here, I have a 77 FJ-40 Landcruiser & I slung a rod thru the block on my 2F gasser this weekend and would like to put a diesel in as a replacement. I am thinking about a cummins 4BT or an Isuzu 4 cyl. diesel. I would also like to put an overdrive in as well either a ranger torque splitter (turning my toyota 4 speed into an 8 speed & giving me the adaptor for a chevy bell housing) or an NV4500. Has anyone on the forum done either of these swaps in a FJ-40? Or are there better swaps for the FJ-40? I am looking for tech info, price info, and part location info for some economical options. Also, this is my first day on the forum, if there is a place or location on this site that has a bunch of this info to get me started, if someone could tell me were to go, I would be appreciative. Thanks in advance!

Brandon
<><

#2 ·
Hello Brandon,

There are several people who have done this, here is a good starting place.
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3352

I chose the cummins mainly because there seems to be a lot more information out there for this engine compared to the isuzu (at least from what I was seeing).

Now that I have a bread truck with a 4bta, I am trying to decide what to put it into. One of my options is my '77 FJ40.

It appears that in order to run the 4bt in the FJ40 (or any landcruiser) you will need to lift the vehicle 4-6" over stock. Otherwise the oilpan will get into the front differential pumpkin. Most people highly recommend that you go to the wider FJ60 axles if you go this high... so the project grows.

Maybe the isuzu doesn't have this requirement?

Best of luck,
-Ted

#3 · (Edited)
My fj40 currently has a 350 chevy, NV4500, and an older style (3 speed) transfer case. Stock width FJ40 axles with 4.88 gears with air lockers.

The NV4500 is a super transmission, very strong but the gear spacing is more "off-road" than on. In my opinion it drives like a 3 speed most of the time, with a couple extra gears. The torque of the diesel would probably make it so the overdrive 5th saw more action.

If I repower my FJ40 with the 4bta then I will likely go to a 3.79 gear in the axles. Because the rpm range on the diesels are fairly narrow (compared to a gas engine) you have to pay close attention to gearing if you want to do much highway travel.

If this is a dedicated trail rig then lower gears are in order.

-Ted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.