Which VW diesel?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which VW diesel?

Thanks

Default Which VW diesel?

What would be the ideal VW diesel engine to use for a swap? What year(s) can they be found in? And what is the engine code?

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Bump bump bump

'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser dieselcruiserhead's Avatar
    Thanks

My opinion is a brand new 1.9 VW TDI but a mechanical one. You can get them brand new for about $5G I think. You could use a computerized one out of a manual trans Jetta/Golf/Passat but keep in mind the wiring... Computerized is better than mechanical of course... they can be chipped to have a lot of power...
    1991 Toyota Pickup, Mercedes 300D OM617 diesel
    1969 Land Cruiser project in progress with 4BT
    1989 Land Cruiser project in progress with 4BT
    2010 KTM 450

Successfully installed 4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T, and Mercedes 300D engines into different vehicles.

Thanks

I would prefer mechanical. $5g is out of my price range so I probably wont be going new for now. What year can I find the good mechanical ones in?

Hangs Out With Dogs DieselSchlepper's Avatar
    Thanks

The mechaical don't have the power of the 2004-6 PD's or pump deuse, which has a cam drive fuel pump on each cylinder and run real good. A lot of guys like them but they are high and maintenance has to be known. Look at car-parts.com for VW diesels to get an idea. The mechanical are relatively simple, but the computers make power and there are a whole bunch of chips and turbo upgrades that really work out there.
    Last edited by DieselSchlepper; 12-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    True self-esteem comes only from what your dog thinks of you.

'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser dieselcruiserhead's Avatar
    Thanks

Pardon the late reply.. I'm not sure where you get them, perhaps direct from VW. These are what are being installed in Westfalias and such...
    1991 Toyota Pickup, Mercedes 300D OM617 diesel
    1969 Land Cruiser project in progress with 4BT
    1989 Land Cruiser project in progress with 4BT
    2010 KTM 450

Successfully installed 4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T, and Mercedes 300D engines into different vehicles.

Thanks

There's a thread specifically for VW TDI swaps on the Volkswagen TDI forum (google it, I can't post a link).

Thanks

which vehicle you are intending to repower with a vw diesel?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
    I would prefer mechanical. $5g is out of my price range so I probably wont be going new for now. What year can I find the good mechanical ones in?
    not an exact history but roughly;
    VW diesels have been in the US for sometime, and gained a large following during the fuel shortages of the 70's. They were I installed in Rabbits, Dashers, Jettas etc... Initially the 1.5 liter was standard. In 1980-1985 it was a 1.6 liter with a mechanical head. In 1986 the 1.6 recieved a hydrolic head. The 1.6 liter was available as turbo charged and naturally asparated. The early 90's saw the step up to the 1.9 liter, and the transition from the IDI to the TDI. I'm not up on the history after that. I bought mine off craigslist for 300 dollars and did some work to it to make it a dependable daily driver. You can find a decent runner for around eighteen hundred bucks. You can get a 1.6 n/a pull out for about 800 dollars. PM me for an engine source in Nevada. I have also recently seen someone advertising on craigslist pull outs imported from Europe in Southern Calfornia.
    1985 Naturally Aspirated Diesel Jetta, fuel economy around 47 mpg
    1998 Regular Cab Short Bed Ford F-150 4x4 5 speed (future 4BT) 4.6L gasser.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poptotwoboys View Post
    Initially the 1.5 liter was standard. The 1.6 liter was available as turbo charged and naturally asparated. The early 90's saw the step up to the 1.9 liter, and the transition from the IDI to the TDI. I bought mine off craigslist for 300 dollars and did some work to it to make it a dependable daily driver.
    the 1.5 is not so good... an elder from my neighborhood has a 1.5d passat and told me it had some overheating problems, already solved but sacrificing some power...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
    which vehicle you are intending to repower with a vw diesel?
    87 4runner. It is getting a straight axle with 35's

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poptotwoboys View Post
    not an exact history but roughly;
    VW diesels have been in the US for sometime, and gained a large following during the fuel shortages of the 70's. They were I installed in Rabbits, Dashers, Jettas etc... Initially the 1.5 liter was standard. In 1980-1985 it was a 1.6 liter with a mechanical head. In 1986 the 1.6 recieved a hydrolic head. The 1.6 liter was available as turbo charged and naturally asparated. The early 90's saw the step up to the 1.9 liter, and the transition from the IDI to the TDI. I'm not up on the history after that. I bought mine off craigslist for 300 dollars and did some work to it to make it a dependable daily driver. You can find a decent runner for around eighteen hundred bucks. You can get a 1.6 n/a pull out for about 800 dollars. PM me for an engine source in Nevada. I have also recently seen someone advertising on craigslist pull outs imported from Europe in Southern Calfornia.
    Thanks for the info. I would prefer a TDI. If I can find a newer one for a decent price I may consider it.

Ill PM you for that sourcer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
    87 4runner.
    a touareg's 3.0v6 tdi would be cool

so, are you intending to use a 130hp 1.9tdi? a brand new costs less than 5000 dollars in argentina... in brazil just the head and the injector system costs around around 1500 dollars and are often used to replace gasoline or ethanol-powered 2.0L ea827's heads converting those engines to diesel...

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default best engine

I think its called a 1Z/AHU its out of the 98/99 beetle its the first TDI without all the needs of the cluster, pedal etc. I could be wrong but up 2002 that engine just needs to be chipped and could work with minimal wiring and computer work.

Thanks

I would like to use a newer engine that with a good amount of power but I think I am going to go with a pre-98 engine so I can get around the diesel smog here in CA. Im not quite sure which route I want to go yet

Thanks

OK guys. Had to register for this one.

Pre-1984, they used the 1.5 and 1.6 mech TD engines.
    Post 1984-1992, they used 1.6L engines (NA, Naturally aspirated, engine code ME), 1.6L Turbo diesel (engine code MF). There was an ECO diesel in the states. CAn't remember the code.
    In 1993, they switched to a 1.9 mechanical TD (Indirect injection still). Engine code AAZ (came with a KKK or K03 Turbo, same as the earlier 1.6's)
    In about 1996/97, they started making the TDIs, engine codes IZ. This is probably the easiest TDI to swap into another vehicle. AHU's mixed in here somewhere too.
    1998-2004 (New Beetle) and above, 1.9L TDI, engine code ALH. Electronic pump and Variable Geometry (Variable vane) turbo, VNT-15. There were a few renditions of this platform. Pre-2001 has no immobilizer. 2002+ has Immobilizer requirements (ECM matched with key and cluster....custom chip tuning can overcome that).
    2004-2007 1.9L Pumpe Duse (Unit injectors), engine code BEW I believe. Variable Geometry turbo (electronically controlled vacuum)
    2008+ 2.0L Pumpe Duse (Unit Injectors), engine code BHW. Variable Geometry turbo (electronically controlled vacuum)

If I were to give advice, it would be to look for a 1997-1998 Passat TDI. It already has a longitudinal configuration. After that, I'd probably look at the ALH. There are guys on vwdiesel.net who put a 4BT pump on the ALH and run a mechanical injector. You'd need to get a "standard" turbo (non electronically controlled), but it's actuallyl relatively common. ACME Adapters probably has an adapter for your application.

As for smog, the 98+ ALH engines came equipped with an EGR valve, which diverted some of the exhaust back into the intake. If you go this route, ensure you reprogram your ECU so that it doesn't clog up (minor tweak).

The sites you want to look at (in order)
    vwdiesel.net
    forums.TDIClub.com

If you're really looking to have fun, look at importing a 2.5L V6 TDI from Europe or the 3.0 as mentioned above. They came in Audi A4s over there and go like stink. Of course, being longitudinally mounted never hurts, and being mated to a quattro would make it more easily adaptable to a 4WD purpose.

Thanks

i never saw a idi 1.9, just di ones...

Thanks

Yeah. 83-~86/7 (Mark III) were all IDI (pre combustion chamber), AAZ Code. 87-98 were the first TDI's (Direct Injection) AHU code. 98 They changed it to the ALH in the New Beetle. 99.5, they put the ALH into the Golf and Jettas (MKIV)
    Last edited by DieselSchlepper; 05-30-2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: error in dates

Thanks

some months ago a brazilian guy told me that volkswagen was still making idi diesels for argentina, but i didn't found the 1.6 there...

New Registered User
    Thanks

could you provide more information on this please? "4BT pump on the ALH and run a mechanical injector"

Thanks

VWDiesel.net is a great source for this info. You can look up people's projects. Search for TDI-m or m-TDI. Here's the FAQ on m-TDI stuff.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=6427.0

Thanks

i would like to try a charge-air-cooled twin-turbo setup into a non-electronic 1.9tdi... even if i wouldn't reach the same power and torque of the current twin-turbo 2.0tdi common-rail i believe it could be a good deal for a 4runner... in a trail rig i would avoid electronics the most i could avoid them...

Thanks

There was a guy in British Columbia who was going to run twins on his m-TDI, but making money as a fabricator always seemed to get in the way. Even without twins, you can get an ALH to make about 200 whp and 400 ft lbs torque. The recipe would be something like this:

bigger turbo, running 25-35 lbs boost (over 30 would require upgraded head studs, Ford Cosworth 12mm ones.)
    metal head gasket (or copper)
    bigger injectors (Race 764 from KermaTDI)
    3 bar MAP
    12 mm plunger in the pump
    Pump turned up and governor removed
    Good intercooler and free-flowing charge piping.

Nice to haves:
    -custom intake manifold that flows better than the stock one. As the ALH had D-shaped ports, what people do is cut up the stock lower half of the manifold to keep the ports and make a non-restrictive upper for it, or take the intake manifold from a late 80's, early 90's 8V engine and beef up the runners, then port them to match the D-ports.
    -2.5" exhaust.

If you're seriously shopping for a TDI, I'd look for a 97/98 Passat TDI that's been rear ended. They're already longitudinally mounted engines, so some of the accessory brackets are already on the backside of the block. 97/98 is the first iteration of the TDI in the passats and had less Immobilizer mumbo jumbo to deal with. Anything after that would work too. I own both an ALH and an 05 PD. I can definitely notice the increased power with the Pumpe Duse, but it's more reliant upon electronics (still not that bad).

If you're really serious about it, try to get a hold of hillfolk'r on vwdiesel.net. He's from stateside and runs an absolutely ridiculous m-TDI rabbit at the drag strip. He'd be a good guy to talk to.
    Last edited by dubcanuck1; 07-24-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks

actually i wouldn't do it so soon...

+ Reply to Thread