Toyota transmission behind a 4bt (donor Truck?)
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toyota transmission behind a 4bt (donor Truck?)

Thanks

Default Toyota transmission behind a 4bt (donor Truck?)

I have two questions. First What is the easiest way to bolt a toyota r150f or w56 to a cummins 4bt. I know everyone is going to say that the toyota wont hold up. Regardless of that, does anyone know the best way to do it? Also what would be the best donor truck to get a 4bt? Where can I find one? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MILLENNIUM FALCON View Post
    I have two questions. First What is the easiest way to bolt a toyota r150f or w56 to a cummins 4bt. I know everyone is going to say that the toyota wont hold up. Regardless of that, does anyone know the best way to do it? Also what would be the best donor truck to get a 4bt? Where can I find one? Thanks
    toyota r150f or w56 + cummins 4bt = custom adapter plate

bread truck = 4bt

2012 Subaru Forester 2.5x Premium

1999 Jeep TJ 4.0L, Manual, 1" lift, 33" tires (DOA due to a stupid driver)

1991 Chevy Suburban V2500, 1991 Cummins 4bt CPL 858, Dodge HD NV4500, NP241c, Dana 60 Front, Detroit locked 14 Bolt FF Rear, 4.10 gears, 4" lift, 35" tires. 19-20mpg city, 23mpg hwy (Sold)

Thanks

I can never remember the Toyota designation for it, but Jeep uses a Toyota tranny that Jeep designates the AX/15. If either of those trannys is the same internals as the AX/15 by swapping a few of the Jeep version parts into the Toyota tranny you could do the same thing as in this thread http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1209

You would have to swap the input shaft, the input bearing retainer, bellhousing and related Jeep clutch parts.

Some of the Toyota guys are already using some of the Jeep tranny parts to do a Dana 300 transfercase swap into their trucks, so I know there is parts interchangeabillity but like I mentioned I can never remember which Toyota tranny is the Jeep AX/15.

Thanks

W56= 22RE toyota or AX5 4 cyl jeep

R150= 3.0V6 toyota or AX15 6 jeep

These trannies are all built by Aisin. They aren't a bad design, but they are made for lightweight low torque handling.

I'm sure by your post you've been told this, but you will snap one of these up inside with 4BT torque. They are not made for much power at all.

5th gear is the weakest gear in the R150/151/AX15. I've seen many new 3.4 V6 R151 5 speeds shear the countershaft off clean right at 5th gear. IMO the 3.4 has a big lack of torque and it is braking toyotas beefiest mini truck tranny.

If I had to do it I would buy a SBF-toyota conversion bellhousing for an R150 and use the cummins-ford adapter. You can use the GM setup too, but you'll have to deal with an 8 degree tilt (not going to go well in a small truck).

Thanks

My question is why you want to retain the Toyota trans? The ONLY reason I can see is if you have a bunch of money invested in a Marlin Crawler. If so, Advance Adapters makes adapters to go from various Ford and GM standard transmissions to various Toyota transfer cases in either 21 or 23 spline versions. I don't know for a fact if they will allow a Marlin Crawler to bolt up to them, but it is worth investigating, if that is your reason for wanting to keep the Toyota trans.
    The Ride:
    91 K5 Blazer, P-pumped 12V, NV4500, 205, D61, 14BFF, 4.10's and rolling on 35's

+ Reply to Thread