kia engines
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kia engines

Thanks

Default kia engines

has anyone here tried to use a kia engine? there were some rebadged and facelifted cj3a's made by kia using their mazda-based diesel engines, such as the j2... this engine is largely used in the k-series (known in some markets as bongo) forward-control pickups and in the besta, a rebadged mazda bongo van...

some mazda engines are actually perkins designs made under license, as that found in the b2200 pickup...

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

it's not so hard to find some light forward trucks and vans with this engine here in south america...

Thanks

Hello there,

I just found an old Chevy 20van here in Mongolia, they are extremely rare i may have seen a total of 3 or 4 here. Well this one i s piece of junk, the steering has about 12" slop, the steering collum was welded on crooked, The driveshaft bearings are shot and there is play in the reardiff. Do you think this is worth the $250 i offered for it?

Well probably not, but here is what im really after, It has a Kia 2.7 diesel in it, it looks like an unfinished project, All the mechanicals are hooked up(very slopily), but the wiring wasn't done. They couldnt start it for me so i jumpered everything with wires, and it started up and sounded real good, except that it ran at full RPMs, the injector pump needs looking into, maybe just a stuck accelerator cable?? Well he wanted $300 for the van, i offered him $250 and he agreed but i needed to tow it home, but had no second driver, so need to wait till tomorrow(hope it is still there)!!! If i do get it , i will post some pics of the engine in it.. These engines are selling for about $500, so i should hopefully get a good engine for real cheap and possibly even fix the van up as a camper with a larger engine..(just dreaming now!!)

Justin

Thanks

i've never seen a chevy van with this engine... i'm curious about its gearbox and the rear axle... btw i beliebe something at least 3.0L would be preferrable for such huge vehicle, or maybe that isuzu 2.8L 4jb1, widely used in the philippines...

Thanks

Well, i went to get the van this morning, and we towed it home. I looked into the IP and it is indeed some internal problem, but i can have it fixed for about $25. If i ever do want to use the van, i will probably put a 0m662 or an R28 Nissan diesel in it..
    The gearbox is one that bolts direct, probably from a KIA bongo truck, the rear axle is a Mercedes it seems! I took a picture of the plate on it, not good lighting so it isn't very clear.

Justin

Thanks

Here is a pic of the plate that is on the axle.

The engine pretty tiny down there, in that big cavern!

Last edited by jkmechanic; 07-19-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmechanic View Post
    If i ever do want to use the van, i will probably put a 0m662 or an R28 Nissan diesel in it..
    The gearbox is one that bolts direct, probably from a KIA bongo truck, the rear axle is a Mercedes it seems!
    seems that the om662 (out of an istana i guess) would be better in that van... about the gearbox, there are some automatic ones avaliable in these kia light trucks and in that besta van too... btw maybe for a half-ton chevy van this kia engine wouldn't be too bad...

Thanks

It should be worth at least $250 in "fun-time tinkering" and if you give up, more than that in scrap value...

Thanks

so, where are you already intending to fit the j2 engine, justin?

Thanks

I really don't have a plan yet, i just found a good deal and wanted to grab it, I may get the IP fixed and just try the van out with the engine in it, and maybe even leave it in there and make a toolbox van that i can drive around (we have a large property here). or i may put it in my"future" build , the ARO, i really don't know, but with the 2 Nissan patrols and the Chevy van, i think i will have something to tinker with for a while! Also, like 91_4x4runner said, if i decide to not do anything with it, i can at least get my money back by selling as scrap.. I do have a farfeched dream though... Do a body swap and put the Chevy on a Patrol Frame and have a 4X4 Chevy van with solid axles (i measured and would need to stretch the patrol frame by about 8 inches), it really is nice to have 4X4 here in Mongolia...

Justin

Thanks

I do have a farfeched dream though... Do a body swap and put the Chevy on a Patrol Frame and have a 4X4 Chevy van with solid axles (i measured and would need to stretch the patrol frame by about 8 inches), it really is nice to have 4X4 here in Mongolia...
    a 4x4 chevy van would be really cool to use as a camper van... btw some days ago i saw a 4x4 bongo and thought about how cool it would be with a solid front axle...

Thanks

Yes, that is what i though about the Chevy too, just have to see if time permits.. BTW here is a Sign i found on the Chevy after i brought it home.... i guess my sister is tired of me dragging all these "diesel junkers" home!!

Read: "Justin's Diesel Junkers" !!

Justin

Thanks

i guess my sister is tired of me dragging all these "diesel junkers" home!!
    don't you leave her drive any of them sometimes? maybe she could start to love diesels too...

Thanks

Well, maybe if i can fund a junker "junky" enough to trust her with.. it would have to be an auto, though.. she cant drive manual.. Hey... she has been asking me to help her get a drivers licence, maybe i can make a deal with her to shut up about my junkers if i help her out, huh!!

Justin

Thanks

Well, maybe if i can fund a junker "junky" enough to trust her with.. it would have to be an auto, though.. she cant drive manual.. Hey... she has been asking me to help her get a drivers licence, maybe i can make a deal with her to shut up about my junkers if i help her out, huh!!
    why not to make her learn how to drive a manual? btw do you have any pictures of those bmw sedans with kia engines? i would like to see one...

Thanks

Sorry, i don't have any pics of the BMW, but i will try and take a pic if i see 1 again. The other day, i saw a Mitsubishi Gallant with a diesel (by the smoke), i didn't stop to see it, but i assume it was probably a swap.. They do have the factory fitted diesel in the Toyota Chaser and Cresta here, not many but i have seen them, the 2.4 2lt with auto gearbox.

Justin

Thanks

The other day, i saw a Mitsubishi Gallant with a diesel (by the smoke), i didn't stop to see it, but i assume it was probably a swap.. They do have the factory fitted diesel in the Toyota Chaser and Cresta here, not many but i have seen them, the 2.4 2lt with auto gearbox.
    probably the galant was not a swap if it was an older rear wheel driven, probably with the same 2.3L once used in ford ranger, but i never saw any diesel front wheel driven galant... about toyota cresta, once i saw one with paraguayan plates, automatic with a diesel engine...

Thanks

Have you seen the Kia JT engine there in Brazil? It is a 3.0 version of the J2, and is used in the Kia Bongo Frontier.

Justin

Thanks

Have you seen the Kia JT engine there in Brazil? It is a 3.0 version of the J2, and is used in the Kia Bongo Frontier.
    the jt is not regularly offered in brazil since 2005 when the besta was phased out... the jt was offered in brazil only in the besta... but i've seen some larger bongos with this engine...

Thanks

hey justin, what will you already do with the van body?

Thanks

Well, i am not sure yet, i think i better do 1 project at a time.. for now probably just use it as a strorage area till i finish the ARO. I have too many thing i want to do... i saw an old Jawa motorcycle for about $150 and im thinking i might get it someday to put a diesel engine in it... but that is down the road.. maybe a winter project..

Justin

Thanks

i saw an old Jawa motorcycle for about $150 and im thinking i might get it someday to put a diesel engine in it... but that is down the road.. maybe a winter project..
    try to find a directly-injected 1cyl about 400cc and at least 8 or 10hp... i would probably go this way...

Thanks

Yes, that is what i was thinking about, a chinese generator diesel engine, they have plenty of them here, or i can always get one direct from China
    (i presently go down to the chinese border town every month for my visa).

Justin

Hangs Out With Dogs DieselSchlepper's Avatar
    Thanks

The tires and wheels on that van look pretty good.
    True self-esteem comes only from what your dog thinks of you.

Thanks

Yes, that is what i was thinking about, a chinese generator diesel engine, they have plenty of them here, or i can always get one direct from China
    one thing you should remember: you will need to adapt a gearbox separated from the engine, as jawa's stock engine has an integrated one... other thing i could also consider is a centrifugal clutch system simillar to early mobylette's system... i am still considering this to my '88 honda xlx350r... actually i was initially intending to convert mine to dual fuel gasser/ethanol but as i always wanted a diesel bike but was too much concerned about what would be a good gearbox setup (i have even considered to try a hub-gearbox setup) i'm considering this option after seeing some stationary diesels fitted with automatic clutches... but you seem to be even more diesel-addict than me... btw when you go to china to search about the small stationary engines you could take a look at those isuzu 4jb1t copies that could be a good deal to the van...

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

(i presently go down to the chinese border town every month for my visa).

Justin
    The chinese have an engine they call a 186FA. It's a ~10hp single cyl diesel with direct injection. It seems every manufacturer of small engines in china has their own 186FA, maybe an internal standard.
    Isuzu 4BD1T Junkie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DieselSchlepper View Post
    The tires and wheels on that van look pretty good.
    Yes, actually the tires and wheels are in fair condition, i do hope to eventually do something with the van, but for now, i plan to work on the Aro, and put the Kia J2 engine in it, hopefully i will have some free time this coming week, we will see.

Justin

Hangs Out With Dogs DieselSchlepper's Avatar
    Thanks

How are things in Mongolia? How bout some pics? Cool.
    True self-esteem comes only from what your dog thinks of you.

Thanks

some months ago, after seeing some '93-'99 jeep grand cherokees that would be auctioned, i've even considered to take one to adapt a j2 engine and a manual transmission and a transfer case out of a 4wd kia bongo...

a turbo would be considered too...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

a picture of the ve-type injection pump

and the smaller 64hp 2.2L kia s2 engine, simillar to the mazda r2
    Last edited by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr; 09-05-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.