85 Chevy K20 6bt swap (work in progress)
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 85 Chevy K20 6bt swap (work in progress)

Thanks

Thumbs up 85 Chevy K20 6bt swap (work in progress)

hello all, early this summer i aquired a wrecked 1990 w250 non i/c ctd getrag 205 truck with the intentions of a cummins powered chevy. in july while working on the road,(construction) i came across a pair of old 4x4 chevy pickups sitting in a guys yard that looked as if they had been neglected for some time. one was a rotted out 78 1ton and the other a salvagable 85 3/4 ton with the fancy 89 grille and headlamps.

after knocking on the guys door i decided the price was right and found a way to get these bad boys home 250 miles away.
    got them home and started tearing into the 85. I stripped it down to the bare frame and running gear, and got the frame cleaned up and undercoated. after further reveiw, i decided the cab floor was too far gone to fix. i got on craigslist and scored a better 82 cab for a decent price that needed just a pass side floor pan opposed to the entire floor. after the underside of the cab was prepped and undercoated on the frame it went.

got the cummins pulled from the donor and noticed a hole in the timing case beside the vac/ ps pump. turned out the vacuum pump bearing shelled and dropped the gear into the cam and injection gears. i replace the timing housing, cam and injection gears, oil pump (scored badly from debris) and got a new p-30 style pump setup thanks to jakey on here for sourcing the parts.

after getting it all buttoned back up in she went using the mopar 1st gen mounts i modified.

heres as it sits right now, ill be updating this thread as i go

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Default k 20

Keep up the good work. I just put my Getrag and 205 in mine over the long weekend.
    88 Crew Cab chevy 5.9 Getrag 205 Dana 60/70
    Crossover Steering lots more to come Its Finally Drivable!

Thanks

sweet build. Keep the pics coming.
    1994 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4. 4BTA 375hp and 720ft/lbs torque, 12.9 at 103mph 1/4.
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Thanks

i found out why the dodge donor truck was laid to rest, i grabbed ahold of the getrag shifter and found out it was locked in position. pulled the top cover and the roll pin that holds the 1-2 shift fork was sheared off. (thank god that was all!) somebody must have been doing some ram jam gear slammin! besides the pin everything else in the rag looks spotless- im pretty sure its been remaned. also when i seperated the engine and trans a while back the pressure plate fell out of the bell housing in several peices... nice.
    today i got the trans x-member and mounts done will post some pics later

Thanks

thanks guys, heres the stock TH-350 style x-member i used- had to open up one hole to match the slotted one on the other side where the new chev rubbers mount. (if that makes any sence) used the dodge foot mounting plate and drilled new holes in it.

also started mounting and plumbing the hydroboost- did i mention i have a polishing problem?

the I/C intake horn hits the brake master...ALOT. guess i'll have to build one out of 3in. stainless!
    next on the list is an 05 CR manifold and turbo upgrade. nothing outragous, ive got a line on a good hx35w for cheap. maybe a few other models as well. a buddy has a bunch of stock leftovers from his 3 previous cummins truck builds 01,05,06 models i beleive.
    thats all for this week, my 2 week layoff is over. back on the road to make some cash for more cummins parts. hopefully more progress next weekend!

Thanks

Build is looking awesome! Can we get some motor mount pics? Thanks.

New Registered User
    Thanks

Subscribed. Are you gonna put the Dana 60 front axle from the '78 K30 into this rig or are you gonna use the Dana 60 from the Dodge donor truck?

Scott

Thanks

Default chevy

Lookin Good, Could you take some close up pics of your modified motor mounts, or maybe described what you modified.
    I just put a Dodge Dana 60 "1990" in my 2 wd C 10 there isn't a whole lot of difference. 1/2" on center spacing and I believe 2.5 spring width vs 3" on Chevy. I am thinking about making some offset rear shackle hangers made to make my springs line up just right with the frame. Working on using the rear 52" springs up front for a softer ride.

Thanks

Get that fram oil filter off of that engine!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DieselHilux View Post
    Get that fram oil filter off of that engine!!!!!
    yea, i cringed when i first popped the hood on the dodge donor and laid eyes on that orange garbage. its got a new wix on there now.

Ten Bucks- yup you guessed it right, the 10 bolt and the cheesy c-clip 14 bolt are going on the scrap pile. i stole the 60 from the dodge 4 years ago for my wheeling rig that can be seen in the link on my sig. i will get some motor mount pics up asap, i still need to build an engine x-member when the time comes.
    i did some measuring on my front clip for the 2nd gen. dodge intercooler. its quite obvious it will not fit on the front of the rad. support behind the grille. theres atot less room behind the 89 grille compared to the older trucks. no big deal, it will fit between the radiator and core support if i cut out the main upright supports and build new bracing spaced wider apart.
    Last edited by wicked_sten; 12-04-2009 at 12:49 PM.

New Registered User
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Scott

Thanks

the requested engine mount pics-

slotted frame pad hole with stock dodge rubber isolators, cut down and re-drilled motor mounts. i saw pics of one done this way here http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840090 with better pics from the backside.

Thanks

Default pics

Thank you for the pics.
    Ron

Thanks

Thanks for the pics, but I got another ??. What exactly did u have to cut down on the mounts and redrill? I saw that other thread also, both of u have nice projects. The reason I ask the ? is because I am planning this swap also and this seems to be about the best/cheapest route for mounts. I couldn't really tell from the pics, but do u think u will be able to run the mechanical fan also? This is something I am really wanting to do is to run the mechanical fan. Thanks.

Thanks

here is one of the two peices i cut off each of the dodge mounts-
    cutoff.JPG

as for the mechanical fan, i dont forsee any space issues as long as you set the engine back as much as possible. also my mounts ended up being a little high, which means i hads to use a 1in. body lift (hockey pucks) to clear the cab/firewall around the bellhousing.

Thanks

today i took a friend over to puredieselpower.com to pick up his 05 cummins we dropped off last weekend. he had the head ported and polished as well as fire rings and head studs. while i was there i picked up some odds and ends gaskets and my 3200 gov. spring. i also got to quiz the guys on which of the available turbos i had would be the best upgrade for my intentions. heres the HE351CW i will be using off of the 05. it makes the stock H1C look like a toy.along with the better flowing 01 manifold.
    Last edited by wicked_sten; 12-06-2009 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks

You should give me that good line on that chheap HX35w if your not gonna use it...looks like **** otherwise...Just kidding....keep up the work Pipes...cuz i am gonna come and drink a case of beer and stare at it again shortly

-Wheeling brother from another mother-

Thanks

thanks lash. im not sure what model the other turbo is for sure, maybe an hy35. its the stock one off the 01. i gotta get up there and pick up the new clutch for this thing one of these days, probly sometime this week. i'll call and let ya know.

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sten View Post
    thanks lash. im not sure what model the other turbo is for sure, maybe an hy35. its the stock one off the 01. i gotta get up there and pick up the new clutch for this thing one of these days, probly sometime this week. i'll call and let ya know.
    It will be an HY35 if it came off of an engine that had either a 5 speed manual trans or automatic trans behind it. If it had a 6 speed manual then the turbo will be a HX35.

Scott

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_Bucks View Post
    It will be an HY35 if it came off of an engine that had either a 5 speed manual trans or automatic trans behind it. If it had a 6 speed manual then the turbo will be a HX35.

Scott
    The hy35 were only used on auto trans.

Scott

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrewCab59 View Post
    The hy35 were only used on auto trans.

Scott
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Scott

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sten View Post
    i gotta get up there and pick up the new clutch for this thing one of these days, probly sometime this week. i'll call and let ya know.
    Before you put that clutch in, you should upgrade the stock pilot bushing to a the newer needle bearing. All you need to do is bore out the flywheel.
    Go to Quad4x4.com, scroll down to Dodge page and click on Dodge Engine and Clutch. Should see the pilot bearing they are talking about. I am sure you can buy it at the parts store too

Thanks

UPDATE! i gutted the radiator support bracing, and fitted the 2nd gen dodge intercooler upside down behind the radiator. it fits like it was meant to be there. the radiator mounts in the stock location. im in the process of building my intercooler piping and custom intake horn out of 3'' stainless, as well as my 4'' stainless downpipe. pics on that soon to come. nevermind the disaster zone my shop has become.

Last edited by wicked_sten; 12-11-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks

Sweet build. Keep it up.
    1994 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4. 4BTA 375hp and 720ft/lbs torque, 12.9 at 103mph 1/4.
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Thanks

yes, very cool indeed

Thanks

I wen out in the backyard this morning (4*F) and pulled the heater box out of the 78. it was kind of a pain since you gotta pull the inner fender to get at the bottom bolts. after i got the feeling back in my hands and the mouse nests out of it, i bolted it on. its awfully close to the ex. housing, and will probly melt even if i heat tape it. what do you guys think? if it wont work i will have to find a common rail manifold to get the turbo back and down away from it.

i also got my intake horn built and a good start on the rest of the 3in. stainless intercooler plumbing, and my 4in. stainless downpipe. when i get everything the way i want it a friend that welds food grade stainless pipeline is bringing his tig over to burn it all together.

Thanks

just make a heat shield for the exhaust.Looks like you have 1-2 inches there.should be good.those manifolds arent cheap.although they do flow better
    4bta 85 dodge prospector shortbread
    TDC 75 HP sticks,hy35,big ass intercooler,6bt intake box w/ k&n,4" straight w/flow-through magnaflow.Oil filter relocation upgrade (ford 7.3d filter)HUGE!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

The turbo housing will be fine, mine has been like that since I did the conversion.

Scott

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrewCab59 View Post
    The turbo housing will be fine, mine has been like that since I did the conversion.

Scott
    thanks, was pretty worried about that. i just realized that the box is fiberglass, not plastic. my 4in. v-band flange and clamp showed up today, so i was able to fit up the downpipe. now im really close to the heater box, since these bends have a pretty large radius. i went ahead and built a heat shield out of thin aluminum house flashing. i bent it up and laid 3 layers if 6in. wide header wrap material in, then riveted it all shut. i call it the anti-hotpocket!

Thanks

Looking at that, I'm glad I have the low rear mount "tractor" manifold. At least, I think I'm glad - hopefully my turbo won't hit the frame rail
    The Ride:
    91 K5 Blazer, P-pumped 12V, NV4500, 205, D61, 14BFF, 4.10's and rolling on 35's

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.