Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

How to remove the front timing cover?

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bob95065 
#1 ·
I was thinking of pulling the front timing cover off to get some of the old paint etc off.. What's the technique for getting the gears off the cam shaft and crank? Is it a bitch/requires puller? I figured it would be in the manual but alas their down at the shop...

thanks,
andre

#2 ·
Here is what's needed to pull the timing housing.

1. Oil pump.
2. Injection pump and gear.
3. Cam ,lock down plate and cam,the gear is pressed on.

Just pull the came out and you'll want to reseal the lifter valley pan and ways .The I/P will need a puller.The housing will just unbolt and clean and install the gasket.

Scott

#3 ·
unfortunately,the only 4b camshaft that came with a bolted cam gear is (i think) about a 91/92 (??),with an inline pump...all others are pressed on,with the gear being heated.you'll have to pull your cam.
as for the crank gear,i believe it's also a heated press fit.i don't recall exactly,but i believe you can't even get a puller on it with the gear housing in place.don't know about your skills,but heating and precise press fits of gears are out of range for most home mechanics...it certainly is for me.

it all seems like a ton of work for paint...

#6 · (Edited)
I got the IP and the power steering, oil pump etc all out. The engine is a '89 so yes its press fit in as I imagined. Don't want to particularly pull the cam (but might while I'm in there doing the bearings)

So such is life a lot of work for paint indeed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.