Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

NV4500 gas vs diesel input shafts?

10K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MaxPF 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how hard and approximate cost to replace the gas version of the Dodge NV4500 input shaft with the diesel input shaft so that it will work installing the gas Dodge NV4500 to the 4BT? Can you find the diesel NV4500 input shaft at auto parts stores or do you have to go to the dealer or ?

#2 ·
quad 4x4 . com has the input you need. here is a description

QU10076 22 Tooth, 1¼"-10 spline, Dodge HD 1994-'04. Main Drive Gear (4th) This is a Quality Import being made for the Chrysler authorized re-builder to OE Specs. $159.95

http://quad4x4.com/NV4500 Parts.htm#INPUT_SHAFTS

I am sure that there are members that may have parts used..or maybe even a transmission shop in your town. you could even try to contact standard trans or bluementhals

Jim

#3 ·
front shafts

I'm sure our venders here sell them and at a good price ..But if your in or near a big city there's got to be a Std trans supply near you.
...Here in Texas in Ft Worth we have one call Std Transmission located up in the North side by 28th st. They sell everything I've gotten std gear ..clutches for A 9 INCH ..I always had good luck and the price is a good also.
.....And you sure don't have to go to the mark up kings the dealers.

#4 ·
NV4500 input shaft

Swapping the input shaft is very simple, just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the bearing retainer on the front of the tranny and the input shaft will pull right out (helps if the tranny is sitting on its tail with the input standing straight up). Just set the new Diesel one in place and reinstall the bearing retainer.
You can find new input shafts for the diesel for about $100-$150, at most tranny rebuild places or you can order online. Just lookup NV4500 parts. The dealer is not going to have any parts for the NV4500 as it is no longer in production. You may also want to order a new bearing to go with the new input shaft, the bearing will be on the old shaft when you take it out, I would just install a new one with the new shaft, save the trouble of trying to get it off the old shaft.

You also have the option of just using the input shaft that you have, yes it is smaller in dia. than the diesel, but you are not running the 5.9, you have only 2/3 as much power. If money is tight then I think you would be OK with the smaller shaft. All you need is the clutch disk with the right spline count, to match the Gasser NV4500.

Dieseltim

#6 ·
The OEM part number for the 4BT uses a Chevy 454 clutch that uses the smaller input shaft pattern if it helps.

I thought you need to also have the correct bearing retainer cover as well when changing the shafts because they have a different diameter?

thanks, andre

#8 ·
A few more places that would have them are Anaheim Gear, Rockland Standard Gear, Motive Gear, and Advance Adapters. Also, you can get both the stock 1-1/4" input and retainer as well as the aftermarket 1-3/8" input shaft and retainer (as well as the clutch to go with it) from South Bend Clutch. You won't need the 1-3/8" shaft for a 4BT unless you plan on some crazy power mods, but I figured I would throw it out there for the power junkies :rasta:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.