Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

'91 Toyota Pickup - Benz OM617 diesel

97K views 143 replies 25 participants last post by  mel lowe 
#1 ·
Subject says it all. I'll be doing...

5 cyl turbo diesel Benz to Toyota 5 speed trans/gear t-case, using a 4x4 labs adapter (creates GM pattern) and Advance Adapter from engine to the trans to get Toy to GM. This also lets me run a big Toyota V8 clutch as well...

Coil spring Solid Axle Swap with a FJ62 Land Cruiser front axle. Using FJ80 radius arms and coil spring buckets and other parts from Ballistic Fabrication. Using 4x4 Labs custom hi/low steer designed for the coil spring axle (so not too high, not too low)...

E locked front and rear, about 33 or 34" tires, built as a long distance exploring/trail rig here in Utah...

Very very psyched.... :)

The coil pic is something off the internet but shows what I'm up to. This will take me about 2-3 months I figure... :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
nice truck for the swap :D be careful with having the thickness of 2 adapters in there, that engine is long enough already. gonna put the rad in the stock place or in the box? also be carefull of the oil pan, it gets in the way of everything... i know lol

#4 ·
Yeah I know, I am a little scared of it. Truthfully I almost think keeping it IFS would have been easier.. The reason I chose the FJ62 axle is it should move the pumpkin over farther to the pass side and hopefully slightly more out of the way...

I am excited to see how it all starts turning out..

Any recommendations of what motor mounts to use?

#6 ·
I think about $900.. It is finally ready though and is shipping...

www.4x4labs.com their new site should be up shortly...

#8 ·
Hey what clutch/flywheel does that adaptor allow you to use???

And what clutch disc will you be using to match the spline on the yota transmission????

Also what will you be doing about a pilot bearing??

#9 ·
I'm sorry it is my fault the 4x4labs site sucks currently (I am redoing their new site)... Their kit is complete with flywheel that allows for a big GM V8 clutch as well (which I think is awesome). I believe I have to use an obscure disk though so probably something from Adavance Adapters. The question now is figuring out which advanced adapters and exactly which Toy trans to use. Also it is going to be a shoehorn. I did measurements today and it is long. Even with cutting out the front cross member I am a little concerned. Such is life though..

Also another big deal is the coolant ports in the rear are right where the engine exits. I need to start looking some more at the threads now that I have the engine out and the toy bay also cleared out. I meant to take pics today but forgot my camera. The Benz going off to the crusher was also neat and I even got about $100 for the empty body which also made my day...

#11 ·
Yes I did - on your advice!

I have a feeling there will be no boost protection. I think I will also do the EGR delete as well...

#12 ·
wow!!! that is one clean lookin 91 toy. Got any more pics of it?? I don't see many toyota's around here that the bodies haven't rusted completely off!!!

#13 ·
I do, here you go.. It really is clean. It lived most of its life here in Utah but was back east for a while too but managed to somehow not get corroded... All original paint as well.. :)

damn redsox fans...

Not as perfect as it looks but it is clean. Tailgate is bashed up and needs to be replaced and there are a couple minimal rust/rot spots that are coming in mostly at the passenger door bottom... Pics to come...

#15 ·
I have, but the $$ of course... :(

#16 ·
that is a nice looking truck. as far as the over boost protection, i have completely removed my boost protection stuff, my ALDA off the IP, pinched off the wastegate line so it opens off internal pressure, removed the rack limiter, and raised the high idle abit too. i also have a strait through exhaust too. my boost peaks at about 16psi right now, and my egt's never get over 950

#19 ·
Andre: that should make into a real nice truck. Good clean machine to start with, I think once you've got the engine in place and mounted that it should be down hill from there.

I am always looking for decent candidates for Benz engines, you're lucky being in UT, in CA they wouldn't allow such hanky panky to a 91 Toy. and that's why I always look at the pre76 vehicles, no smog, no inspection, no DMV issues.

More pics !!!

Randy

#20 ·
Thats a really nice truck Andre. I was actually looking for one of those a while back but couldnt find a nice one down here. Thats gonna be one cool truck when its done.

#21 ·
I hope so... The biggest issue I'm seeing is the engine is about 31" and the distance between the firewall and the front xmember is also about 31" - so it is going to be a tight squeeze and also involve some hacking.. :( Really a bummer for now..

#22 ·
Here is a good link that shows the engine in a '89 4Runner which is basically identical. So maybe its not as bad as I think. And then I have the oil pan to deal with as well unfortunately, it will be interesting to see how it all lines up...

http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14915#post14915

A couple photos from it...

#23 ·
You'll make it work.

Reactions: kerristallax
#27 ·
thx Randy.. That's a the plan. . It is a little ugly the way it was done but agreed, I can make it work.. I wish I had the original Benz fan and radiator to consider but such is life.. This stuff was pulled out of the Benz before I got it...

#24 ·
andre: are you planning on doing the conversion like "Someone" did it?

IE: adapter plate and crank spacer, then toyota flywheel and clutch and everything from there back. I saw your earlier post but am not familiar with those components. Do they work the same way?

Point being you might be able to move the trans/transfercase back a couple of inches to make some more room for the fan and in front of the motor.

The oil filter is easy to relocate if that is a problem.

On Someones build the only thing I saw I would have figured a way around was the forward position of the motor, and the mods he had to do the radiator support, resulting in no engine driven fan.

I would cogitate on this a bit as I see this single point being where all of the real brain work is on this swap.. If you get it right then I think the rest will fall into place nicely. And even if you have to move the whole drive train back 2"-3" I don't see that as being that hard a thing to do..

On all of the Chevy engine swaps done to Jeeps the standard rule of thumb was 2" forward and 1" towards the drivers side. The forward move made room for the distributor, and the 1" to the left made room to get the front driveshaft by the bellhousing.

In your case it would be about creating space for the fan and maybe not having to mod the oil pan as severely.

Something to think about.

Randy

#25 ·
Andre: on second thought after looking at Someones build again he's got the valve cover almost all the way back against the firewall so you probably won't be able to get any more room that way.

That leaves modding the firewall which always sucks.

I guess you MUST go forward. Maybe a heavy bumper?

Randy

#26 ·
Correct, some sort of substantial (most likely custom) bumper, which is fine. It would be nice to run a winch regardless...

Again with the solid axle I'll be adding that will change things in terms of oil pan stuff (I'll have to figure out all this on my own).

The engine adapters are two adapters, the 4x4labs is a 617 to GM pattern with its own custom flywheel. Then a Advance Adapters bellhousing adapter from Toyota 5 speed to GM V8. So some distances will change and yes I'll have to relocate the trans accordingly, probably custom dirve shafts etc..

We'll see how it all goes together.. I should really post all this in my build thread. I think I'll move them all over... (moderator style.. :) )

#28 ·
Andre... I have a fan and radiator down here you can use for measurements when you get to that point. Lyle , I'm sure has a setup for free if you want it.

I think you need to keep the AC.. doesn't someone make a side by side radiator condenser unit?

Just seems like there has to be way to keep the AIR unless maybe you don't want to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.