6.6 ford
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6.6 ford

Thanks

Default 6.6 ford

Friend has an 85 ford bus with a 6.6 inline 6 cylinder, I think this is the brazilian diesel? Anybody got some experience with these? this one has an inline injection pump.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Heard them mentioned in some of the skoolie bus threads, from what I gather your correct Brazilian/New Holland diesel and what is generally said is its no powerhouse, but dependable and gets ok mileage for what it is. They generally just mention if your not in a hurry to get anywhere they perform perfectly fine. I think they were used in some of the Ford diesel rental moving trucks for consumers (I can't remember which company).

Regards,

Rev. D.

Thanks

That's the Brazilian alright. The Ford / New Holland 6.6. 401cid, 4.4" x 4.4" bore and stroke, came available in in various different power levels. Ranging from a naturally aspired 145hp model to the 166hp model used in combines and tractors. The buses seem to run a 170hp version engine and are turbocharged.

They run the Bosch style pump. Model A-2000. Can be tuned the same way as the cummins using gov. springs and aftermarket or a ground fuel plate. Just don't run without a fuel plate, they don't seem to like that. They end up getting to much timing advance.

They have 2 Valves per cylinder, and the exhaust valves have rotators. "Mexican Hat" combustion chamber with 6 head studs per cylinder.

Like the Reverend said, they are extremely durable and well built, but don't expect to get anywhere fast with it... that is, if its still stock

Let me know if there is any other info or questions you have. This is the project motor that's going into my truck so I know this thing like the back of my hand. They are very simple and easy to work on.
    1998 Chevy C/3500 Cheyenne
    -Crew Cab, Long Bed, Single Rear Wheel
    -6.5L Turbo Diesel, 4L80E Auto
    -Solid Front Axle, 7" Lift, 4x4 capable
    -Jeraco Canopy

Receiving the 6.6L New Holland Diesel this summer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueChevy View Post
    That's the Brazilian alright. The Ford / New Holland 6.6. 401cid, 4.4" x 4.4" bore and stroke, came available in in various different power levels. Ranging from a naturally aspired 145hp model to the 166hp model used in combines and tractors. The buses seem to run a 170hp version engine and are turbocharged.
    there were some 4cyl versions too, used in brazilian f4000 and some tractors... but the 4cyls were just made without turbo... btw: i thought ford of brazil had exported just gassers to the u.s. (but the 7.3L v8 diesel was made in brazil to be used mostly in export versions of the f250 and f350, and some buses made by tuttotrasporti)...

Thanks

Some versions are an Apump, some had an MWpump, which are super close to the same pump. They were available with an intercooler or aftercooler in trucks. A nice little power increase is to use injectors from a Mack 237hp E7. The Fords are used in tractor pulls quite effectively. They are only slow if the fuel is at the stock setting, as already noted. If I got more overtime at work, I'd be slipping a 6.6 in my F100.
    Daily driver: 67 F100, 300, 4V, 4 spd. Soon to start a Ford 6.6 swap(twinned and P-pumped).
    http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm
    Low buck fuel rate site of mine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevrenufhp View Post
    Some versions are an Apump, some had an MWpump, which are super close to the same pump. They were available with an intercooler or aftercooler in trucks. A nice little power increase is to use injectors from a Mack 237hp E7. The Fords are used in tractor pulls quite effectively. They are only slow if the fuel is at the stock setting, as already noted. If I got more overtime at work, I'd be slipping a 6.6 in my F100.
    Damn your everywhere! I've been to your low buck pump turn up site numerous times taking notes and checking them against mine. You have a lot of great info there so Kudos to you. Its nice to see another person with the same interest in dropping the New Holland 6.6 in a pickup. I thought only the 7.8 was available stock with an after-cooler? And even that is a JWAC

Though from the "If I got" in your post, it sounds like you have already chosen to go with a different motor? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of trans where planning on putting behind the 6.6 to handle the not-so-stock power levels? Clark 5 speed? Allison MT 643?
    Last edited by BigBlueChevy; 02-03-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    -Jeraco Canopy

Thanks

Yea, I was going to run a 4BT, but I knew I wouldnt be satisfied with a paltry 200hp. Then I saw a cheap 6.6, and started thinking. The 92 that I was looking at is aftercooled, and rated at 186hp. I was just going tot keep it somple and run an AT545. There's a shop up by me that knows their way around the Allisons, so I'll see what they can do to it. As it sits, my truck weighs right at 4000 pounds, I dont need a gorilla sized tranny.
    I may be on a bunch of sites, but I hope it doesn't make me a troll. I try to contribute to each one. If it's diesel related, I'm probably on it.
    Daily driver: 67 F100, 300, 4V, 4 spd. Soon to start a Ford 6.6 swap(twinned and P-pumped).

Thanks

That's very interesting. The New Holland service manual I reference often mentions the "666H", which is a 143hp naturally aspired engine, and two other "666HT"'s, which are both turbo, non inter cooled, but make 150hp and 166 respectively. But the manual seems focused on the Combine and tractor versions and since my 87 makes 170hp factory, It makes sense that there are others out there with additional options not mentioned. Is your 92 JWAC or air-to-air?

I ended up going to my local junkyard with some friends and they had just pulled an 87 B700 School bus in there that week. Being the diesel freak I am I had to check it out for the motor. I had hoped to find a cummins but was greeted with something that looked "backwards" as your well aware. Pulled numbers and all the info I could get and researched it. Learned about the motor and had a good feeling about it so I chopped the bus frame after the trans yoke and took it all. Now I'm actually glad I got it instead of a cummins. Its different.

Ending my rant and how I found it, I pulled it with the trans, which is an AT545 as well. The trans is my biggest dilemma right now. Whats your outtake on its durability? Assuming you where planning on "bombing" the engine once the project was completed.

I wouldn't really call it a troll. Trolls are those that go around and make posts like "no its not", or joining and starting a thread saying "Hey guys, my dad pulled 425hp from his 6.5L Turbo diesel" You have helpful information and from what I've read are knowledgeable. That's brownie points right there.
    -Jeraco Canopy

Thanks

It's an air to air.
    The 545 is actually pretty tough. From what I researched, the most practical one to use in a pickup since an MD3060 is way too big.
    Look up a Ford 9600, they had a 6.6/401.

Thanks

It's an air to air.
    The 545 is actually pretty tough. From what I researched, the most practical one to use in a pickup since an MD3060 is way too big.
    Look up a Ford 9600, they had a 6.6/401.
    Yup thats it! Wonderful craftsman ship behind that engine huh? They seem to run so smoothly and maintenance is almost nothing.

Funny you say that, after you mentioned using the AT545 I had considered putting that behind it. But the 1 to 1 final drive ratio was my biggest concern for highway travel and putting a rather low limit on top speed.

Is there a chance you have a part number for that manifold? Mine has the large intake horn going over the valve cover that would really hurt clearance for the hood.
    -Jeraco Canopy

Thanks

That intake is exactly why I liked this one. I'll see if I can scrounge up a number. That 1:1 was a tough one for me too. Basically I'll have to find some Dana 80 3.07s or maybe suffer with a 3.31 with a Sterling.

Thanks

That intake is exactly why I liked this one. I'll see if I can scrounge up a number. That 1:1 was a tough one for me too. Basically I'll have to find some Dana 80 3.07s or maybe suffer with a 3.31 with a Sterling.
    My truck isn't stock height, and with the 35's that will be going in after the rear is leveled out I'll have a slight advantage with gearing over the stock 30's. Though I'm not sure if you plan on lifting your F100 so you may need to go with those 3.07's. I had started a thread on the trans. section here if anyone knew if it would be possible to take the dodge 47rh and bolt it up to the 6.6 Its a stretch, but the aftermarket has a lot of higher strength parts that will be able to handle the high HP and torque rating down the road. And the .69:1 ratio with the TC locked would give a great advantage at highway speed.
    -Jeraco Canopy

Thanks

No lift for me, just stock 2WD F100. There's a guy on another forum that's got a run of adapters for an IH to a Ford 4R100, or a ZF. Custom would likely be the way to mate a 47RH to a 6.6

Thanks

No lift for me, just stock 2WD F100. There's a guy on another forum that's got a run of adapters for an IH to a Ford 4R100, or a ZF. Custom would likely be the way to mate a 47RH to a 6.6
    Actually it looks like the easiest route here is going to be running an Allison 1000, 2000 or 24000. Apparently It will bolt right up in place of the AT545, is only 3/4" longer and I can use all the harness and electronics from the donor truck to "make" my own standalone harness, which is far cheaper than tryuing to go with one of those aftermarket standalone controller that run about $1600. I can then get an Allison dealer to reprogram the TCM to run in a standalone mode and have everything setup and adjusted right there. All it would need is a TPS, which the Allison dealers will either have or be able to sell me.

A nice triple disc converter and a deep pan will essentially put the engine as the test point again as to where the limits lie.
    -Jeraco Canopy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueChevy View Post
    Yup thats it! Wonderful craftsman ship behind that engine huh? They seem to run so smoothly and maintenance is almost nothing.

Funny you say that, after you mentioned using the AT545 I had considered putting that behind it. But the 1 to 1 final drive ratio was my biggest concern for highway travel and putting a rather low limit on top speed.

Is there a chance you have a part number for that manifold? Mine has the large intake horn going over the valve cover that would really hurt clearance for the hood.
    I finally got my 6.6!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESPWNnKMYZU
    The number on the intake manifold is:
    E5HN-9424-CC

+ Reply to Thread