1967 IH truck swap (pics)
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1967 IH truck swap (pics)

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 1967 IH truck swap (pics)

I have an International 1500B dually that i am looking to swap a 4bt or 6bt cummins into. The truck is a 2ton truck with a T-15 4speed and a 2 speed rear end.

I have many questions and I am brand new to diesels. first off what are the pros to using a 4bt rather than a 6bt. I know i want a 12v from 94-98 so that i get the p pump, but do these engines run off of PCM's, and if so how would i integrate that into a 67 truck.

Also would changing the tranny mess with the 2 speed rear end? and where could i find a conversion bellhousing for a cummins/borg warner T-15 mate. besides the mating of engine and tranny, will the clutch flexplate etc work out of the original tranny?

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated

Last edited by BobS; 01-31-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added pictures by request

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Your best bet would be to find a complete Cummins engine and a 2WD NV4500 transmission from a 94 up Dodge chassis.

Is your gross vehicle weight in the 20,000 pound range?
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

New Registered User
    Thanks

yea its about 16,500 why do you ask? and will that trans work with the 2 speed rear? is it a manual?

Thanks

Yes its a 5 speed manual & should work but you will have to do some engine and transmission crossmember mounting fabrication.
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

New Registered User
    Thanks

thanks for uploading the pictures. anyone else have ideas?

truck has a hydraulic bed too does the nv4500 have a pto?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stucknthemud View Post
    thanks for uploading the pictures. anyone else have ideas?

truck has a hydraulic bed too does the nv4500 have a pto?
    The NV5600 does so I assume the 4500 does as well...

Thanks

I have an International 1500B dually that i am looking to swap a 4bt or 6bt cummins into. The truck is a 2ton truck with a T-15 4speed and a 2 speed rear end.

I have many questions and I am brand new to diesels. first off what are the pros to using a 4bt rather than a 6bt. I know i want a 12v from 94-98 so that i get the p pump, but do these engines run off of PCM's, and if so how would i integrate that into a 67 truck.

Also would changing the tranny mess with the 2 speed rear end? and where could i find a conversion bellhousing for a cummins/borg warner T-15 mate. besides the mating of engine and tranny, will the clutch flexplate etc work out of the original tranny?

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated

Welcome to the Forum. Nice to see another Binder fan! My '68 IH 1200 2WD is getting a 4BTA and a ZF six-speed trans. But I think the 4BT will be a little shy for the weight of the 1500 (I have three 1500's!). The 6BT would be a good choice, power-wise, but your rear axle gears are going to be a challenge. The two-speed rear axles are geared low and lower (somewhere around a 5.30 and 7.48). They're geared to pull max load at 3500 rpm down the road at about 55 mph. Reasonable operating speed for a diesel engine will get you about 40-45 mph! If you had 20" tires/wheels, instead of 17", the taller tires would help...

I'd love to put a diesel engine in my 1500, but I haven't worked out the gearing problem yet. An overdrive transmission, coupled to an overdrive auxiliary transmission "might" get you in the ballpark. I've considered changing to a Ford F-550 rear end, but the wheels would have different bolt patterns. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I haven't found any easy solutions out there...

Good Luck, and keep us posted.
    Regards, Mike

New Registered User
    Thanks

thanks for the advice! good to see another with a 1500! barely ever see them. i agree with your idea on the gearing being a problem. a 5 speed transmission with a final drive less than 1:1 wouldnt bring the range down any? like the previous guy stated. what about a nv4500? would that not help

on another note i would love to talk to you about where to get parts and build up the original motor which was rated at 193 from the factory. i could also use some parts haha

Thanks

Default 1967 IH truck swap

thanks for the advice! good to see another with a 1500! barely ever see them. i agree with your idea on the gearing being a problem. a 5 speed transmission with a final drive less than 1:1 wouldnt bring the range down any? like the previous guy stated. what about a nv4500? would that not help

on another note i would love to talk to you about where to get parts and build up the original motor which was rated at 193 from the factory. i could also use some parts haha
    Hey, I checked some of my resources and pushed a few numbers around, and things MIGHT not be as bleak as I originally thought...

The two-speed rear axle in the 1500 is probably: 5.14/7.15, or 5.63/8.11, or 6.33/8.81. If you're lucky enough to have the 5.14, are using an NV4500 trans with a .73 overdrive ratio, and you assume that the diameter of the stock 7.50-17 tires is about 33," then the engine will be turning about 2483 rpm at 65 mph. That's buzzing a diesel pretty good; not fatal, but not optimal either...

If you can afford an auxiliary transmission; like a Gear Vendors, US Gear, or find an old manual Brown-Lipe ("brownie"), and assume a .80 overdrive ratio, that'll give you a .584 double-overdrive ratio and you'll turn 1987 rpm at 65 mph. That's a MUCH better cruising speed...

Just some food for thought... Later, Mike

Thanks

Default 1967 IH truck swap

Psst! This is a diesel forum, but maybe we can get away with a few words about gas engines

International made four small vee eight-cylinder engines: 266, 304, 345, or 392 cu in. They're all interchangeable. There's a data and serial number stamped into the right side of the block (above the fuel pump), that positively identifies the engine. Based on the horsepower, I think you might have a 345. The easiest way to up the horsepower is to pull the 345 and swap in a 392. It'd be a direct bolt-in swap; no mounts or anything would need to be changed.

You can get quite a few speed parts for the IH engines: cams, headers, electronic ignition, fuel injection, roller rockers, etc, etc... BUT, ya gotta pay if ya wanna play!

Another forum that I frequent is http://www.binderplanet.com It's an IH site that has a lot of good info. Check it out (if you haven't already).

Good Luck, Mike

Thanks

cool rig...

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bindermike View Post
    Psst! This is a diesel forum, but maybe we can get away with a few words about gas engines

International made four small vee eight-cylinder engines: 266, 304, 345, or 392 cu in. They're all interchangeable. There's a data and serial number stamped into the right side of the block (above the fuel pump), that positively identifies the engine. Based on the horsepower, I think you might have a 345. The easiest way to up the horsepower is to pull the 345 and swap in a 392. It'd be a direct bolt-in swap; no mounts or anything would need to be changed.

You can get quite a few speed parts for the IH engines: cams, headers, electronic ignition, fuel injection, roller rockers, etc, etc... BUT, ya gotta pay if ya wanna play!

Another forum that I frequent is [ It's an IH site that has a lot of good info. Check it out (if you haven't already).

Good Luck, Mike
    I have the 304 v8. says on my order and spec sheet that the rear should be a RA-126 rear with a 5.83/8.11. which hurts but im glad to see that it is a possibility. is there a 6 speed that would mate up?

also what is the math you are doing to figure out the cruising speeds. you are factoring tranny ratio and rear ratio with tire size? or just rear gearing and tire size? wheels are 17.8. I'd love to see pics of your 1500's do you have a photobucket?

Thanks

That will be a cool swap! I put a 6bt in a 2ton ford and ran into the same gearing problems.
    Do you have the large 6 bolt wheels? If you do I would look for a step van like a fed ex truck as a doner because you could use the complete drivetrain with tires and wheels. Check out my build thread 56 ford cummins conversion

New Registered User
    Thanks

cool will do thanks! do those truck run 6bt's or 4bt's?

Thanks

cool will do thanks! do those truck run 6bt's or 4bt's?
    6bt + 5speed

New Registered User
    Thanks

sweet i will look into it for sure

New Registered User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustyrelic View Post
    That will be a cool swap! I put a 6bt in a 2ton ford and ran into the same gearing problems.
    Do you have the large 6 bolt wheels? If you do I would look for a step van like a fed ex truck as a doner because you could use the complete drivetrain with tires and wheels. Check out my build thread 56 ford cummins conversion
    where do people find these? i imagine they are harder to find than regulars cars and trucks. any tips?

New Registered User
    Thanks

anyone?

Thanks

I've seen step vans and bread vans in truck wrecking yards. Not sure about your area, but I bet a google search for 'truck wrecking' or 'truck salvage' + your state should get you started. Most automotive junkyards (like pick-n-pull) don't seem to have anything larger than one tons, so I'd try to avoid places like that.

New Registered User
    Thanks

I'm gettin ready to swap a 6bt into my 64 C1300 anybody have any opinions on how well the stock transfer case will hold up I believe it's a NP202 divorce mounted unit.

+ Reply to Thread