Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1967 IH truck swap (pics)

14K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  rattlecan78 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have an International 1500B dually that i am looking to swap a 4bt or 6bt cummins into. The truck is a 2ton truck with a T-15 4speed and a 2 speed rear end.

I have many questions and I am brand new to diesels. first off what are the pros to using a 4bt rather than a 6bt. I know i want a 12v from 94-98 so that i get the p pump, but do these engines run off of PCM's, and if so how would i integrate that into a 67 truck.

Also would changing the tranny mess with the 2 speed rear end? and where could i find a conversion bellhousing for a cummins/borg warner T-15 mate. besides the mating of engine and tranny, will the clutch flexplate etc work out of the original tranny?

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
Your best bet would be to find a complete Cummins engine and a 2WD NV4500 transmission from a 94 up Dodge chassis.

Is your gross vehicle weight in the 20,000 pound range?

#4 ·
Yes its a 5 speed manual & should work but you will have to do some engine and transmission crossmember mounting fabrication.

#7 ·
I have an International 1500B dually that i am looking to swap a 4bt or 6bt cummins into. The truck is a 2ton truck with a T-15 4speed and a 2 speed rear end.

I have many questions and I am brand new to diesels. first off what are the pros to using a 4bt rather than a 6bt. I know i want a 12v from 94-98 so that i get the p pump, but do these engines run off of PCM's, and if so how would i integrate that into a 67 truck.

Also would changing the tranny mess with the 2 speed rear end? and where could i find a conversion bellhousing for a cummins/borg warner T-15 mate. besides the mating of engine and tranny, will the clutch flexplate etc work out of the original tranny?

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated

Welcome to the Forum. Nice to see another Binder fan! My '68 IH 1200 2WD is getting a 4BTA and a ZF six-speed trans. But I think the 4BT will be a little shy for the weight of the 1500 (I have three 1500's!). The 6BT would be a good choice, power-wise, but your rear axle gears are going to be a challenge. The two-speed rear axles are geared low and lower (somewhere around a 5.30 and 7.48). They're geared to pull max load at 3500 rpm down the road at about 55 mph. Reasonable operating speed for a diesel engine will get you about 40-45 mph! If you had 20" tires/wheels, instead of 17", the taller tires would help...

I'd love to put a diesel engine in my 1500, but I haven't worked out the gearing problem yet. An overdrive transmission, coupled to an overdrive auxiliary transmission "might" get you in the ballpark. I've considered changing to a Ford F-550 rear end, but the wheels would have different bolt patterns. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I haven't found any easy solutions out there...

Good Luck, and keep us posted.
Regards, Mike

#8 ·
thanks for the advice! good to see another with a 1500! barely ever see them. i agree with your idea on the gearing being a problem. a 5 speed transmission with a final drive less than 1:1 wouldnt bring the range down any? like the previous guy stated. what about a nv4500? would that not help

on another note i would love to talk to you about where to get parts and build up the original motor which was rated at 193 from the factory. i could also use some parts haha

#9 ·
1967 IH truck swap

Hey, I checked some of my resources and pushed a few numbers around, and things MIGHT not be as bleak as I originally thought...

The two-speed rear axle in the 1500 is probably: 5.14/7.15, or 5.63/8.11, or 6.33/8.81. If you're lucky enough to have the 5.14, are using an NV4500 trans with a .73 overdrive ratio, and you assume that the diameter of the stock 7.50-17 tires is about 33," then the engine will be turning about 2483 rpm at 65 mph. That's buzzing a diesel pretty good; not fatal, but not optimal either...

If you can afford an auxiliary transmission; like a Gear Vendors, US Gear, or find an old manual Brown-Lipe ("brownie"), and assume a .80 overdrive ratio, that'll give you a .584 double-overdrive ratio and you'll turn 1987 rpm at 65 mph. That's a MUCH better cruising speed...

Just some food for thought... Later, Mike

#13 ·
That will be a cool swap! I put a 6bt in a 2ton ford and ran into the same gearing problems.
Do you have the large 6 bolt wheels? If you do I would look for a step van like a fed ex truck as a doner because you could use the complete drivetrain with tires and wheels. Check out my build thread 56 ford cummins conversion

#19 ·
I've seen step vans and bread vans in truck wrecking yards. Not sure about your area, but I bet a google search for 'truck wrecking' or 'truck salvage' + your state should get you started. Most automotive junkyards (like pick-n-pull) don't seem to have anything larger than one tons, so I'd try to avoid places like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.