Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Deutz cold starting manifold heaters.

20K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Eldog 
#1 ·
How do the flame heaters work? Is the fuel supplied from the return line? Can any grid heater be made to work. I'm trying to get a mental pic of these systems. I bought the parts manual but it's not super clear.

#2 ·
On the two deutz motors we have here, there is a small tank high up filled by the return line on its way back to the tank, with a solonoid valve on the outlet below it.

You preheat the plug, which opens the bi-metallic valve in it, then when you turn to crank the solonoid opens & allows fuel to flow to the plug and whooosh!

#16 ·
On the two deutz motors we have here, there is a small tank high up filled by the return line on its way back to the tank, with a solonoid valve on the outlet below it.

You preheat the plug, which opens the bi-metallic valve in it, then when you turn to crank the solonoid opens & allows fuel to flow to the plug and whooosh!
Can you provide a picture of how the wiring for the heater and fuel solenoid? I have a D6206. Thanks

#3 ·
That's how my 2 cylinder Yanmar works I think. Small high tank and a small heater in the intake. Really simple little thing. Makes smoke. Sometimes I spray penetrating oil into the hole and you can smell the difference in the exhaust. Can I adapt a simple thing to a 4 cylinder Deutz?

#6 ·
I have a F8L413F from an air compressor that had the system intact. There are 3 relays.
1. You press and hold the pre-heat button and it energizes a bimetal spring as a timer, and the electric heaters on the flame plugs intake manifold.
2. When the bimetal spring makes contact it energizes the 2nd relay which sends power to the solenoid on the fuel pump, which in turn allows fuel to go the "flame plugs" on the intake. Since the fuel pump is on the injection pump, no fuel will actually flow until you crank the engine. There is also a light connected to this, to indicate the system is ready to start.
3. You crank the engine while continuing to hold the preheater button. When the engine fires and starts running you let go of the button.

#8 ·
This has an electric solenoid right on the injection pump. That way the manifold heater doesn't need its own pump and also you can't flood the engine by accidentally turning on the pump without the engine running. Also the timer spring will prevent you from sending fuel to the heaters before they warmed up enough to actually burn the fuel (instead of just dripping it in the manifold). It's pretty nifty.

#9 ·
so..... how did i go about rigging this system up for use in a truck that it wasn't intended for? It appears the fuel line comes off the injection pump, and runs to a selenoid, which i would assume when energized releases the fuel to the little flame thingy in the intake manifold. My question is do i run both the selenoid and flame thingy off the same push button circuit? Push the button, the flame thingy heats up, and the selenoid opens, but since the engines not running no fuel is delivered to the flame thingy. Count to 5 i guess then crank it over, WHOOSH!, right? yes/no? Also what guage wire should i wire this up with, fuse size? I know the grid heater wires on my 99' cummins are quite beefy.

#10 ·
you'd send power to the flame plug for some time before sending fuel to it, so it has time to heat up. It doesn't need to be a big wire, the OEM wire on my deutz looks like a 14 gauge or so.
The cummins grid heater gets all its power from electricity so it needs a big wire. The deutz heater only uses a small glow element to start a flame, and the fuel / flame generates the real heat.

#11 ·
Tractor Supply has these little plug heaters for less than $30.00 most of the time in stock. They were invented by Lucas in England and have been used by many makers. We had one on a Long (other blue tractor) and it was hooked to the fuel return line without a tank. Tractor would start every time with a good battery. You could also keep the heater on with the engine running at an idle when first started to help it warm up for a minute or so. Just installed one on a Detroit 2-53 (pictures to follow).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.