Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

existing list of vehicles with 4bt engines?

118K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  papitt 
#1 ·
Hey all, is there an existing list of vehicles with 4bt engines?
thanks

#5 ·
vehicles with VIN listed 4bt...thanks

Hey sorry it was late, or maybe i am just not too bright.
Either way, i am looking for vehicles (if i can find one) that originally had a 4bt(type) engine.
I would like to find a 4bt, and i would like to know where to start.
I know some basic, delivery truck, step vans etc. But i presume before i spend lots of time looking, someone has done this before?
thanks again

#7 ·
Bread vans, Twinkie trucks, Fed-Ex trucks(usually tougher to find). I might be wrong but a lot of step-trucks and vans in the late 70's - 80's were "re-powers", meaning they had been on the road and running on gasoline engines from the factory. Due to the gas crisis, back then, they were brought back in and "re-powered" by having a 4BT installed.

The 4BT can also be found in Ag and Ind equipment. I have seen them in Case equipment(who also used the 6BT in bulldozers) and Deutz. The Case with a 4BT was a smaller tractor and the Deutz was a roller/compactor that we had at an excavating company, I used to work for. They can be found in brush grinders, man-lifts, etc. I would assume generators as well but I don't know for sure on that one...
Not a very extensive list but maybe it will get you started....

#8 ·
as far as I know, the 4BT was not installed in any on road vehicle right from the factory. All 4BT on road applications that I know of were repowers done through a contract with cummins. Companies and business' paid for the repowers, not the manufacturers. This only goes for the US market though.

#11 ·
Factory ap. 4BT

The 4BT was used in the 1845C Case Skid loader, which are very plentiful. However the Cummins is known to last up to 8000 hrs. without rebuild, so it`s hard to find a "junk" 1845C. The 4B was used in some 1845 case skid loaders (no turbo).
The 4BT can also be found in Case Backhoes,stationary pumps, generators, and is an option engine when buying some brands of tele-handlers (extending forklift). I know of a few 4BT`s for sale here in Iowa.
4BT/727 in a `68 Satellite Sport Wagon! The "Dragon Wagon", 9 Passenger, hurry up! The bus is leaving!!

#14 ·
... also Remember Newbe's .. there is a difference in the 4BT'S . THE On Road van like a Bread or Chip or Donut van .. Those have a cam & Injection pump set up for a range of RPM'S . WHILE A constance RPM motor It's cam is set to HORSEPOWER at 1800 rpm'S & SO is it's injection pump .
Not a killer issue it your planing on a complete rebuild . But You'll need to swap cams & pumps If you start here .

#15 ·
I was a Part sales man for years ... & I was keeping an eye on ALL THE SHOPS working on replacing the 4BT'S.
I had a great supply for cores from equipment . But when the DAD Retired & the son took over he went up on the old core price from like 100.00 too 500.00. & He'd not be honest with me about what was wrong with the core . He knew because he'd rejected fixing it.
So I NEVER BOUGHT ANY FROM THE KID.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.