mechanical pump
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mechanical pump

Thanks

Default mechanical pump

has anyone installed a 6.2 injection pump on a 6.5? what year did the 6.5 go computerized. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

IIRC, '94 was the year the 6.5 went electronic. It is not uncommon to swap a 4911(mechanical IP for 6.5TD) onto a later engine to lose the electronic weak point. Getting the PMD off the pump and onto a better heat sink seems to be the most common fix as it is a simple task, especially compared to swapping to mechanical IP.

Ken

Thanks

the reason i ask is because i have a 1976 3/4 ton chevy i was gonna do a cummins swap on. The 6.2 or the 6.5 would be a drop in and go. with some research i found that the 6.2L had alot of problems. I bought a 1996 rollover with a 6.5 td. Id rather have a mechanical pump than to swap all the wiring. And im still thinkin about the cummins. Thanks for the info.

Thanks

personally im a chevy guy, but the only gm engine that can hold a match to a cummins is a duramax.

it would be a direct bolt in as well, just alot of wiring and plumbing to deal with.
    93 B2200 F2t swap build thread sold
    92 B2600i with a 82 3.0L 5cyl 617 benz Turbo Diesel build thread
    91 B2200 fully airbagged, 4 linked, 1/2" lines, lays frame rebuild thread sold
    91 B2200 v8, toy axels, 39" tires thread sold

Thanks

looks like i gotta do some thinkin on my options, thanks guys for the help.

Thanks

general engine products still offers mechanical injection systems for the 6.5L

http://www.optimizer6500.com/
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

I did the reverse. I put a DB2 6.5 injection pump on a 6.2 that I was able to find on www.carparts.com I think it was from a 1993 truck and it fit perfectly on an 1982 6.2 engine.
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

Thanks

Try the Diesel place dot com, they got a real good 6.5 room there.

New Registered User
    Thanks

I put an early '94 mechanical pump on my '96. Engine runs quieter, smoother, starts easier. The big problem is making the tranny shift - you gotta have a 3rd party controller. Not a problem, but the price goes up about 700 bucks.

Thanks

but even with the high price of a standalone tranny controller it worths because of the ease of mantainance of the mech pump...

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 4L80E controller

Did this conversion myself, twice. Once on my '93 C3500. That was easy because of the 5-spd manual tranny. Only tricky part is to adjust timing, I needed to twist the pump and lines pretty far to driver's side to get enough advance.

The other was my wife's '94 K2500 Burban. That was a challenge because of the 4L80 auto. I tried to build a conversion box that used the signal from the DB2-mounted TPS sensor to emulate the DS4's throttle pedal, but that didn't work well. I didn't want to buy an aftermarket stand-alone tranny controller because, in the first place, the main point in replacing the DS4 pump by a DB2 was to keep Bill Gates out of the truck!!!! Then, these things are very expensive, and having to buy Windows just to be able to program the module was OUT of the question, period.

So, after a few weeks of research, I DID find a good solution. I designed & built an analog transmission controller for the 4L80. It fits into a 6'' x 6'' x 3'' plastic box.
    It is a bit complex for someone who isn't into electronics, but for anyone used to IC's and solder, it is no big deal to put together and uses parts that are easy to find. Strictly analog, no digital.
    Cost of parts: a rough guess is $100.
    I haven't patented or ever published the circuit design, although it works beautifully and allows adjustment of shift points. The circuit reads vehicle speed through the tranny's output speed sensor, reads throttle level through the pump-mounted TPS sensor, and controls shifts, torque converter locking and line pressure. For fun and ease of trouble-shooting, I put five LED's that show status of speed sensor, shifts, torque lock and line pressure regulator.
    Transmission operation is smooth but responsive once properly adjusted.
    My controller works just as well in the bitter cold as on the hot summer days, and has been doing its job flawlessly for the past two years. It probably has 12,000 to 15,000 miles on it now.

There might be a market for my controller??? don't know. The way I see it, throughout the years I have had my ass saved a hundred times by vital info displayed on the web by nice people who like to help others... so if anyone is interested, I might write down my notes into a clear schematic and put it out here for people to have fun with.

Anyone interested???

Thanks

i'm sure there would be a market for an analog controller, but a smaller package would also be a good feature for a commercial release of it...

+ Reply to Thread