oil pan to axle clearance?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: oil pan to axle clearance?

Isuzu reliability tester carcrafter22's Avatar
    Thanks

Default oil pan to axle clearance?

How much clearance do you guys like to see from front axle to oil pan so I can place the engine when the time comes? This will be on a 2001 WJ grand cherokee, dana 30 front axle, RC 4" lift isuzu 4bd2t.

I figure around 3" should be plenty but I am not sure since I dont mess with 4x4's much.
    Randy
    1967 F100 isuzu 4bd1t 60mm turbo procharger d1sc, big shied injection pump, 100% injectors - currently building AWD chassis for it
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee isuzu 4bd1t, he351 turbo 370cc pump, 100% injectors, 4l85e trans, bw4401 transfer case, clayton long arms 4.5" lift - For sale

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

1-2 inches of clearance around the pan when the front suspension is cycled through it's range of motion. Pulling out the springs and bottoming out the suspension on the bumpstops will tell you max travel up. Give you an idea where the diff is going to be in a worst case scenario.
    1994 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4. 4BTA 375hp and 720ft/lbs torque, 12.9 at 103mph 1/4.
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Thanks

I was thinking about it more and seems to be that even 1/2" of clearance would work as long as its with the axle hitting the bumpstop. I dont know why I didnt think of that before DUH! LOL.
    Randy
    1967 F100 isuzu 4bd1t 60mm turbo procharger d1sc, big shied injection pump, 100% injectors - currently building AWD chassis for it
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee isuzu 4bd1t, he351 turbo 370cc pump, 100% injectors, 4l85e trans, bw4401 transfer case, clayton long arms 4.5" lift - For sale

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carcrafter22 View Post
    I was thinking about it more and seems to be that even 1/2" of clearance would work as long as its with the axle hitting the bumpstop. I dont know why I didnt think of that before DUH! LOL.

Your going to need more than a 1/2" , the bump stops have more compression than that ,2-3" would be the least I would want it.

Scott

Thanks

I think I would shoot for just enough not to hit the pan
    1987 V3500 GMC 4x4, 6" lift, custom pipe bumpers, 6BT - CPL1582 (rated 190HP/475 lb/ft), #5 Fuel Plate full forward, Star wheel tweeked, 15.5 deg. timing, 220HP injectors, HX35W 12cm, 3" exhaust, Second gen dodge IC, AFE 4" cone filter, full manual shift and lockup 4L80E. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...ighlight=v3500
    Other Toys:
    S10 pickup 410cid SBC, TV71 charger, DIY EFI, 4link and what not....scary fast
    1949 M Farmall WH1E,holley carb,300cid, arias slugs,oe block,h2o inj,4400rpm,25psi

Thanks

All valid points. I would like to see at least 2" at full suspension travel so I never have to worry about it. I ordered a complete 4" suspension lift today and returned the other setup so I can gain some much needed clearance for this thing.
    Randy

Thanks

When I started my build I was told that 3-4" was desirable. Like the other guys were saying though, you could probably get by with less as most of the suspension travel happens at the wheel. How often is your wife going to flex this thing all the way out? You know more lift is ALWAYS better...
    1978 Scout Terra, SOA, 31" Tires, Cummins 4BT, NV4500HD, NP205, 3.54 Gears
    The Project Never Ends.

-

"A person can be smart, intelligent, ingenious. People... are stupid."

Thanks

i dont know how your 4bt is set up but with mine i had the same delima with my jeep yj, with my 4bt the deep part of the oil pan was in the front of the motor, i thought i needed more lift. but i was looking at it one day and realized you can switch it around so the deep part is in the back, solved the clearence issues up with me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3.9 islander View Post
    i dont know how your 4bt is set up but with mine i had the same delima with my jeep yj, with my 4bt the deep part of the oil pan was in the front of the motor, i thought i needed more lift. but i was looking at it one day and realized you can switch it around so the deep part is in the back, solved the clearence issues up with me
    i dont know if you can do that with a 4bd2t
    4bta 85 dodge prospector shortbread
    TDC 75 HP sticks,hy35,big ass intercooler,6bt intake box w/ k&n,4" straight w/flow-through magnaflow.Oil filter relocation upgrade (ford 7.3d filter)HUGE!

Thanks

my bad i just glanced and saw the 4b and t at the end, sorryy

Thanks

Those post made me feel better I have about 2 inches built into mine so far but I really didn't think it was enough .. Maybe it is .. I was going to start mine on this amount an then add some more room after I get it headed down the trail.

+ Reply to Thread