Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

spin on oil filter for mercedes

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rammbo 
#1 ·
I am working on a 1987 om 603 and would like to convert to a spin on filter the 6 cylinder gas engine has a spin on filter and the housing looks the same has anyone tried the gas filter housing on the diesel my housing looks the same as the om 617 I know I will have to add oil cooler lines, Thanks Toby

#3 ·
They are not the same. If you want spinon you'll have to make an adapter plate and relocate it.

#5 ·
Try adapting a remote filter kit from Summit or Jeg's, but unless you're swapping it into a chassis where it won't fit because the oil filter housing is in the way, I don't think it's going to be worth the money and effort. Clean oil is the key to long life in these motors and frankly, considering that the 616 is the world record holder for longevity in a car engine (over 1 million documented miles) I'd say Benz knew what they were doing. If you adapt a spin on filter try and get one designed for a diesel truck engine as it should be up to the task.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.