4Bt Common Rail ??
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4Bt Common Rail ??

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 4Bt Common Rail ??

I was wanting to put some feelers out for this subject and see what people know about it and if anyone is interested in it.
    Cummins makes a new common rail 4bt with a holeset vg turbo. This engine is nice however like all cool diesel stuff it is not avaliable in our great country. There are tons of them in Brazil they are as common as small block chevys are over here. So it is only a matter of time before they become common applications here in the states. I have heard they have a (rear gear drive) what ever that means. And I was told thast because of the rear gear drive they have a rear bolt pattern unlike anything we have ever seen in america.
    So my question is would people be interested in purchasing these engines for a swap, the draw back is they they would be pricey probably seven to ten g's that is a complete new motor not a reman with the ecm mounted on it and I would also include the adaptor of your choice for the bell housing. I need to get one of these units in my hands and begin getting some measurments on these to see if I can make adaptors for these beast.
    The up side to this expensive swap is they run smooth not rattly, they are quiet like the new cummins, it will also be tunable with chips like new cummins are, and these new motors in your swap will probably out live your biggest expectations.
    That is about it let me know what you think about the idea. Or if you have any info on these motors or know where to find any info on these motors.
    Best of luck with your projects.
    Derek

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser dieselcruiserhead's Avatar
    Thanks

are you sure you are not speaking of a ISB or an ISBe? For about the same cost and/or cheaper you can get one here as well. They are rare but available with parts availablilty too... Gene Climer is putting one in his '49 Power Wagon.. He also had a lot of adapter issues as well as they are also rear/mount with SAE 3 bellhousings...
    http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/gro...os/browse/8cfe

The only company that makes SAE adapters I am aware of is Phoenix Castings...
    http://www.phxgrp.com/transmission.htm
    Last edited by dieselcruiserhead; 01-15-2007 at 12:58 PM.
    1991 Toyota Pickup, Mercedes 300D OM617 diesel
    1969 Land Cruiser project in progress with 4BT
    1989 Land Cruiser project in progress with 4BT
    2010 KTM 450

Successfully installed 4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T, and Mercedes 300D engines into different vehicles.

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default Thanks for the info

Yes that is the motor I think the Isbe 170. I am pretty new to cummins motors and finding it difficult to get really accurate information on this stuff I am guessing that the us version is a industrial/agricultral motor. Rocky mountain cummins told me this motor was only avaliable in South America so I am assuming that they are talking about the automotive version of that motor.
    So my next questions are,
    1 Where are these avaliable from, if the cummins dealer cannot get them
    2 What did they come in
    3 How much can someone expect to pay for one
    4 Is the industrial/ag version of this motor different from the automotive version if so is it only in the electronics and can a chip or reprogramming take care of it?
    Thanks for the help I would love to see these motors getting used in our swaps if they are avalable. Think how nice it would be to have a quiet and driveable 3.9 that did not rattle like mad.
    If getting certain adaptor parts is a issue I would love to hear about them. I own a large cnc milling center and cnc lathe that is sitting idle in my garage that I would love nothing more than to put it to work once I am in my new house.
    Derek

New Registered User
    Thanks

The ISB170 was installed as the stock engine in the Freightliner Custom Chasis vans produced in the SC plant for several years. Standard transmission was an Allison automatic. A couple of years ago, they switched over to using a Mercedes diesel in place of the Cummins as the stock engine.
    According to the folks at my local Cummins distributor who handled the Frieghtliner account at that plant, they still have some ISB's on the shelf at the chasis plant.
    The same Cummins connection reports that they (the Cummins folks) really don't have any plans to import any more four cylinder ISB engines from either the British or Brazilian plants since they are putting thier effort into getting the newer small "v" engines certified for use by Daimler-Chrysler (the ones for Dodge and Jeep).

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default ISBe 3.9

I have a ISBe 3.9 rated at 170hp and 400 lbs torque. It was made by cummins at there darlington plant for DAF. Trucks it is used in is a DAF LF45,which is a 5 ton. Engine has Paccar on the valve cover . It has a standard SAE 3 tail housing. The problem I am have is cummins supplied a bare bones engine and daf put their components on it (starter, wiring harness out of ecm, alternator etc). The trucks are built in leland england and shipped to the Netherlands. Daf is still using these engines today.

Aaron

+ Reply to Thread