Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

non turbo 4bt questions

22K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  ryansrinny 
#1 ·
ok i found a non turbo 4bt out of an airport shuttle. what does it take to turbo it? any difference in compression ratio? pump mods? and i what to put a chevy nv4500 behind it with the old style chevy bellhousing with the clutch arm sticking out the left side. will it interfere with the starter? or is it on the right side with the chevy adapter? also where could i find the chevy adapter? btw i plan on putting all this into a 63 chevy 1/2 ton. it currently has a 350 with a 4 speed saginaw behind it. any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Somewhere I read that non turbo engines had higher compression - 19 to 1 maybe? You might check with a good Case mechanic or look at Case litariture. If you're not pushing it too much with boost I think you could get away with the higher compression pistions. Also you would't want to advance your timing too much with higher compression.
The pump probably doesn't have an AFC on it but that won't matter except that it won't control fuel in relation to boost - you can do that with your foot and the rear view mirror even better than an AFC if you want.

#3 ·
#5 · (Edited)
i think its like 75hp na. does anyone know if i could take a afc off of a 6bt pump? is that something i could just add on? or do i have to get another pump to have the afc? also i will need a chevy adapter and flywheel. basically everything to bolt it to a chevy trans. how much do they cost? What starter do they use? anyone have a source on the kit? Im not too worried about the comp ratio with boost. The chevy na 6.2l was 21 to 1 cr and the banks turbo kit put out like 8 or 10psi of boost i believe. I think i could push 20 and probably not have a problem. if anything the higher cr will make it more thermally efficient and probably get slightly better mpg. I looked online for a chevy adapter kit and they seem to be really expensive... almost as much as the engine.

Ps. i can get the engine for $1500 and a chevy nv4500 for $500

Oh and the engine is a 94 with an inline pump... i believe it would be a p3000 if im not mistaken? would it have the aneroid even though its not turbo?
also did dodge produce a bellhousing with a clutch fork sticking out the left side of the bellhousing? I want to retain my original style clutch linkage on my chevy and not have to convert it to a hydrolic clutch

#6 ·
i think its like 75hp na.
seems to be enough for a s10, or even a half-ton chevy c series, but at least 100hp would be desirable... btw brazilian less powerful diesel engine avaliable to the s10 was rated at 95hp...

#8 ·
so what injection pump could it have then? the seller said it has an inline pump on it. Could it be an a pump? does anyone have pics of the a pump and others like the lucas and standyne? i read somewhere that those were used too? so what would be an inline pump thats variable speed like the automotive style thats used on the 4b? How hard would it be to convert it to a ve or p pump if i couldnt use the one on it? hopefully i will have time to go and look at it this weekend and maybe get some numbers off of it.

#10 ·
fair enough. i was wondering how many different pumps it could be. im going to look at the engine tommorrow and was hopeing to have some idea what im looking at and if i should buy it. because to change pumps dont you have to change injectors and pistons as well as the drive gear and lines for the pump too? i take it that it would cost more than to buy an engine thats already set up for my needs.

#12 ·
i talked to the guy and he said the tag is worn bad but what i got out of him was, 908 bosch pe94495d12rs2880 cl032a0z026(have no idea where the second number came from) i believe the rs would be the governor type right? i havent looked at the engine yet (both of us are too busy) but sometime next week if i can i will take pics to see if its worth getting. well in the last week i have learned alot about the different IP that came on these engines and how to tell them apart. so where can i find more info on the a-pump that came on these engines too? google is no real help. thanks everyone for the info

#13 ·
if you want to put a turbo on a non turbo 4b then you have to take out the crank and remove the plugs and put the piston oilers in. otherwise your pistons will overheat.

I have a case 1840 skidsteer with a 4b non turbo and case rates it at 54 horsepower but no idea on the torque output.

#15 ·
Gross = 54hp
Net = 51hp

Peak torque at 1200 rpm 179 ft-lb

Thats what the 1840 case book says

#16 ·
my 4b had the oiler's installed. and other treads similar to this have people who have mentioned the same..
is the non oiler 4b a myth or has any one actually seen one in person and not just repeating what is belived to be common knowlage.

the same can be said for the mythological Load based govenor on the lucas cav generator pump.. it is not true, pure myth.

#18 ·
I looked it up at my Case dealer as far as the oilers go because i was thinking about putting a turbo on the 1840 skidsteer and that is what stopped me from doing it. I would have had to pull the crank. As far as ever seeing one without oilers firsthand I will have to say no I have not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.