Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Big Rig Cab on 1 ton frame

60K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Russ McLean 
#1 ·
Has anyone put a big rig cab on 1 ton truck chassis? Did you have to modify the cab, like make it shorter or narrower?

#2 ·
Hi, I have seen several such rigs. The older Peterbilt, KW, etc cabs are smaller than most modern pickups. Just make new cab mounts for your chassis to lone up with the cab. Now the real work comes to cut down the front end assy (hood & fenders) to make it look right. There used to be some front end kits available. Search the internet. One name that comes to mind is little big rig. Brad.

#12 ·
I like part of this idea...A salvage yard school bus medium duty 60 passenger size chassis shortened to the right wheelbase would make a good cheap donor for the chassis and drive line. I have seen 6BT busses sell in running condition for $1,000 and less depending upon the age. In a lot of areas they scrap them everyday because of the age requirement required by law. The most expensive part would be the body parts. I'm thinking that if you do some good shopping around this could be done for less than $5,000 not counting paint and labor.

#13 ·
See my build thread.... I took a GM Breadvan frame for my 1947 Ford 1.5 ton chassis.....

#14 ·
#16 ·
My father is in the process of doing this with an Internation Eagle cab on a Dodge Cummins 2500 chassis. Its a long term project but the cab is on, it needs some nose work and interior, and a custom body for the rear.

I almost bought an old International cab for my Cummins Ram. I think it was an old 190. But I dropped the ball and someone else got it. I'll be looking for something else when I get back to work and get the money.

Jim

#17 ·
At one time when OEM or re-pop sheet metal wasn't as readily available for my '70 GMC 1 ton with 4-53T,I acquired a GMC General cab [aluminum] and hood [fiberglass] . The hood was too big
and bulky and inner fender interfered with the steering in a trial fit . I ended up donating the stuff to an acquaintance in upstate NY who operated a General .

B model Macks and KW/Pete are both very popular on pickup chassis .

#18 ·
I've already seen an R model Mack on a pickup frame. Looked great! He even had it rigged up so that the air brakes worked! Air over hydraulic that is. Never the less, it did'nt stay around long; He sold it for WAY less than what he could have gotten for it! It's a idea that's catching on! Better try it before they make some kinda new law against it!

#19 ·
My dad had a MiniBigRig that was a KW with the integrgateed 60in.stand up sleeper.Was on a F350chassie with a 5.9 cummins VE pump. with a nv4500.

Dale

#23 ·
The original question was putting a big rig CAB on a 1 ton chassis, not a big rig ENGINE (i.e. CAT) in a 1 ton chassis.

About 20 - 25 years ago, there was an aluminum Peterbuilt cab (approx 1951) put on a 1 ton Chevy dually chassis (used the stock 454 DID engine and auto trans). I used to see it at all the Phoenix, AZ truck events.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.