a/c bracket
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a/c bracket

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default a/c bracket

I'm putting a "93" 6bt into a 1995 K-2500 with ifs and was wondering where to mount the a/c compressor.
    I need to move it from the bottom to the top. Does anyone make a bracket for this?
    Last edited by clineranch; 05-04-2010 at 06:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

You can try this bracket from the local Cummins dealer. I don't know the part number off the top of my head but this will locate the AC compressor up to help clear the frame.

You might want to check to make sure the relocated AC compressor clears your oil filter, It should. This is how it looks on the 4BT.

Thanks

Go to Autoworld of MT website and give them a call they make a bracket to use the gm ac compressor in the stock spot and its not to expensive.

Ryan

Thanks

I am looking for one of those brackets as well... anyone have one or a part number???

Thanks

this is in a 1988 blazer k5, but should give you a good idea of placement...

the cast iron piece that bolts to the block is -- cummins 3930888
    compressor (and application) is 1995 ford f800 w cummins 6bt
    alternator is gm 22si, cummins pulley is 3918275
    lower alt mount 3930820
    tensioner is 3978021
    tensioner mt(stock)--3930838

The alternator mt in pic I fabbed so I could keep stock dodge outlet, but stock piece looked just like it w/o hole, and no room for that style outlet
    The tensioner bracket I fabbed for more clearance, could have just knocked corner off stock piece
    The water inlet I fabbed to give me the most room, but I suppose I could have searched and found a short straight inlet, it was just faster for me to make one.

The whole setup fits great, no frame notching (which is a terrible idea on the 1/2 ton chevys or blazers IMHO), no body lift, fits under hood with lots of room.

Last edited by rube bonet; 10-03-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: pics

Thanks

Any Chance you can post the Sanden Model number of that Compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by rube bonet View Post
    this is in a 1988 blazer k5, but should give you a good idea of placement...

the cast iron piece that bolts to the block is -- cummins 3930888
    compressor (and application) is 1995 ford f800 w cummins 6bt
    alternator is gm 22si, cummins pulley is 3918275
    lower alt mount 3930820
    tensioner is 3978021
    tensioner mt(stock)--3930838

The alternator mt in pic I fabbed so I could keep stock dodge outlet, but stock piece looked just like it w/o hole, and nor room for that style outlet
    The tensioner bracket I fabbed for more clearance, could have just knocked corner off stock piece
    The water inlet I fabbed to give me the most room, but I suppose I could have searched and found a short straight inlet, it was just faster for me to make one.

The whole setup fits great, no frame notching (which is a terrible idea on the 1/2 ton chevys or blazers IMHO), no body lift, fits under hood with lots of room.
    " I drank what?" - Socrates

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241
    Daily Driver unless im driving my VW THING

Thanks

SANDEN COMPRESSOR mod# U 46029 ser #002191306970--
    I also forgot to post O ring numbers for between block and plate, and plate and water inlet--3906697
    belt---serpentine 8 rib 72" long
    hose inlet that is supposed to go with these brackets, (90 degreee forward with downward swoop, didn't clear frame) 3921382

I hope this helps, I spent quite a bit of time trying to track down all the numbers...cummins is a pain to deal with w/o an ESN, and all the other

All this info should help quite a few conversions, will all work on a 4bt--probabbly just need a remote oil filter adapter

Thanks

I searched Sanden for a U 46029 and they say that compressor doesnt exist. is it actually made by someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by rube bonet View Post
    SANDEN COMPRESSOR mod# U 46029 ser #002191306970--
    I also forgot to post O ring numbers for between block and plate, and plate and water inlet--3906697
    belt---serpentine 8 rib 72" long
    hose inlet that is supposed to go with these brackets, (90 degreee forward with downward swoop, didn't clear frame) 3921382

I hope this helps, I spent quite a bit of time trying to track down all the numbers...cummins is a pain to deal with w/o an ESN, and all the other

All this info should help quite a few conversions, will all work on a 4bt--probabbly just need a remote oil filter adapter

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thinder View Post
    I searched Sanden for a U 46029 and they say that compressor doesnt exist. is it actually made by someone else?
    I think it was made for someone else. Probably a Ford part number?
    NRA Life Endowment member
    1980 Scout II:92 Dodge CAC, NV4500, 3.73 gears, Atlas 4.33,33/10.50 BFG KM2, HE221W 7cm2, 3200 GSK. Cold air intake. Mileage:low 20s to high 20s. The swap
    92 Dodge W250 CTD

Thanks

The sticker says Sanden & ford on it, was purchased thru ford dealership.

Thanks

HEy thanks for those Part numbers! I saw the one from Ford, its a bit pricey!! I have an email in to Sanden with that part number to get some specs on it. And hopefully I can find some cheaper alternatives.

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Thanks

Thank you very much for posting the part numbers! Anyone have an extra laying around?? I need the 3930888 soon.

Thanks!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

HEy thanks for those Part numbers! I saw the one from Ford, its a bit pricey!! I have an email in to Sanden with that part number to get some specs on it. And hopefully I can find some cheaper alternatives.
    There are about 10 different compressors to chose from , the cost depends on what head the compressor has and if you want a top of the line Sanden or a aftermarket.

Scott

Thanks

I see. I dont need the capacity of the F800 compressor i dont think. I would opt for small over effeciency, since i have an under dash unit. What other compressors can you use? Ive been searching the Sanden website looking at guage lines and bolt pattern but there is no way to search other than part number so its kinda hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by CrewCab59 View Post
    There are about 10 different compressors to chose from , the cost depends on what head the compressor has and if you want a top of the line Sanden or a aftermarket.

Scott

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Thanks

Just got an email from Compressor Works in Texas. They say the Sanden for the ford f800 is 4602. Sanden says that is a vbelt compressor. waiting for a reply.

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Supporting Member
    Thanks

I see. I dont need the capacity of the F800 compressor i dont think. I would opt for small over effeciency, since i have an under dash unit. What other compressors can you use? Ive been searching the Sanden website looking at guage lines and bolt pattern but there is no way to search other than part number so its kinda hit or miss.
    All most sd7 compressor has the same mounting pads.

The cheaper end compressors are $125 and up , the problem is the fitting are out the back and by the time you add a filter relocation kit than your at the same as the high end compressor.

Scott

Thanks

There seems to be a few differnet pad dimensions, even between Dodge truck years and the Guage line can vary quite a bit at least according to sanden's website. Im going to head over to a parts house today and dig through their catalog

Quote Originally Posted by CrewCab59 View Post
    All most sd7 compressor has the same mounting pads.

The cheaper end compressors are $125 and up , the problem is the fitting are out the back and by the time you add a filter relocation kit than your at the same as the high end compressor.

Scott

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Thanks

There seems to be a few differnet pad dimensions, even between Dodge truck years and the Guage line can vary quite a bit at least according to sanden's website. Im going to head over to a parts house today and dig through their catalog
    Please post up if you find a comparable compressor that works, esp if its more reasonable. I cringe at buying that kind of stuff thru the dealerships.

Thanks

Wilco

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Supporting Member
    Thanks

You can't use the dodge compressor ,without using a filter relocation . So yes they will have a different mounting pad.

The P # are in the tech section.

Scott

Thanks

I am still looking for one of those relocation brackets if anyone has one or could make something like it, I would sincerly appreciate it, pay shipping and give you some cash. Cummins wants $150 ish and that is a bit steep for my budget on this truck, which is already several thousand over and $14K to go... Please help

Thanks!
    Last edited by 1939dodge; 10-28-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks

Thats how i feel too. Im still searching but raw data is hard to find. I looks like the 5.4liter triton F150 has an 8 groove pulley with a long guage line (PN 108225b but the mounting is all wrong) and they are cheap. Im about to build a bracket and say f*** IT. If thats where this goes Ill get them burned on the CNC Plasma and make a handful of them.

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Thanks

OK here is what I have found. These are the essentials for the frieghtliner mount:
    Mounting Hole dimensions: horizontal distance between top holes: 87mm
    Horizontal distance between bottom holes: 92mm
    Vertical distance between holes (both are the same) 128mm
    Pulley Stick Out (guage line) : 49.00mm

Sanden Part numbers that will work (there may be more but this is what i have found):
    4474 ---3/4X7/8 female connections on the side in the rear on head
    4417 & 4485 & 4818 -- Appear to be the same compressor all pad mount rear

All are availble on teh sanden website for $386.00

I will keep looking for more that are cheaper.

It doesnt look like the Dodge ram compressor will fit this mount at all. The 1994 era wont bolt up and the 2000 era has the wrong guage line.

All of this is based on sanden's drawings and i have not tried this in real life so take that into account.

Hear are a few more:

4432 --90degree pad mount

4666 & 4667 -- 3/4X7/8 reer exit male
    Last edited by Thinder; 10-09-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added more

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1939dodge View Post
    I am still looking for one of those relocation brackets if anyone has one or could make something like it, I would sincerly appreciate it, pay shipping and hive you some cash. Cummins wants $150 ish and that is a bit steep for my budget on this truck, which is already several thousand over and $14K to go... Please help

Thanks!
    If that's steep than you'll want to look at a different set up becuase you'll need more than just the bracket for A/C.

Scott

Thanks

Might have found a break through.

the sanden FLX-7 series. Its a universal customizeable compressor. it has its own pad with interchangeable connections, and electrical pigtails. Im talking to Cool Pro in Fortworth about getting one but they are about $160 bucks on Ebay. THey have 4 or so basic styles, and you customize the rest to fit your needs.

I will fill you in as info becomes available.

1986 Jeep Grand Wagonner
    4bt/47rh/Np241

Thanks

Last edited by 1939dodge; 11-05-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Tell me how the Hell do you get I was being a dick because I said there are cheaper ways than that set up . If you don't like the cost of the Cummins bracket then make your own because the compressor you have has the wrong bolt pattern.

Scott

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1939dodge View Post
    Crew Cab, I assume you were not trying to be a dick in that reply... But sure sounded like one. If you followed my build thread you would see that I have the full AC and everything out of my 95 Ram that I am installing into the 39 Dodge. It is just a hunk of metal it should not be that expensive, although I know they are sometimes. To make one would cost under $50 in steel.

Thinder let me know how it goes. I was just going to use the Sanden on that side.
    If you are referring to the cast piece on the block...the steel itself may be less than 50, but i would like to see the cost of someone casting their own 1 off piece (or replicating it out of billet or plate)...and selling it to you for less than 150.

I thought that part was actually very reasonable, especially compared to cost/time fabbing up satisfactory replacement. I thought the plate steel brackets were a little spendy, but the only real expensive part was the compressor--and hopefully thinder will solve that issue.

I myself am just looking for a used bracket--so if anyone has one, pm me

I didn't think crewcab sounded like a dick, just realistic...

Thanks

14K + and you cant fork out the 150 for a bracket. If you cannot afford the bracket, you cant afford the other ways Scott didnt post. You sir are the dick. If you ask for information and get answers, be thankful. These are not chevys where 55 vendors make the same part for $3.

How about investing in exce lessonsl, learn to budget for all these things that come with a custom build, and not take it out on those who offer to help.

Classy!
    1967 M715 6B NV4500 203/205 doubler HP60/14 4.56s with detroits.

Thanks

OK guys, NOBODY is going to be happy if the name calling doesn't go away. Clean it up NOW! We all know the rules!
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

+ Reply to Thread