Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

dt466 specs

42K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CtG 
#1 ·
does anyone know the specs for the pre 1999 dt466 motor?

#2 ·
the pre electronic verison there are quite few HP class on DT466 they start from 165 HP and go all the way up to 270 HP and the toqure run from 500 lbs ft all the way shy short of 1,000 lbs foot toqure but the 190 and 210 HP is the most common rating on the DT466 family and there are three verison they have early verison as we know DT466 A series then DT466 B sereies then last NGD { Next Generation Diesel } aka DT466 E

The non electronic DT466 have alot of room to crank up the power they can run pretty insane power level out of this small engine and it one of the most common tractor puller engine.

They are oringally from farm tractor useage adpted to truck useage and they were very scussedfull with it.

Yeah they are wet sleeved engine and you can actally rebuilt the engine in the truck without pulling the engine out of the truck frame.

They are about 44 inch long and 32 inch from oil pan to top of the engine if I recall the mesurement right and they will weight about 1400 lbs

Merci.
Marc

#7 · (Edited)
I think the DT-466 went electronic in 94 (about the same time as the 7.3 went to the powerstroke). All the mechanical DT-466 (pre 94) had a 4.3" bore X 5.35" stroke. Somewhere along the line, navistar decided to bore it out to 4.59 and create the DT-530. Then, when they went electronic in 94, they decided to keep the larger bore of the DT-530, and shorten the stroke to 4.68 (4.59" bore x 4.68 stroke = 466). For almost a decade after they went electronic, you could still get the smalll bore/long stroked engine in the "high torque" package, but most DT-466e engines are big bore/short stroke. The one nice thing about navistar going to the big bore engines is, any mechanical engine can easily be upgraded to a DT-530 by putting in the new big bore pistons and liners while still keeping the old long crank.

Also, on the mechanical DT-466 engines, the hp ranged from 160-210 with the standard turbo and no aftercooler. With an upgraded turbo and aftercooler, hp ranged from 215-270. The old rotatory injector pumps can be turned up a lot (although the settings are a bit complex). I had an 1983 flatbed truck that was origanally a 180hp DT-466b and it generated 15psi boost. Another truck I had was rated at 210hp and generated 18psi boost. After turning a few screws on the 180hp engine, I was pushing 23psi of boost. Obviously, 23psi was not healthy for the stock turbo or for EGTs, and I would not recommend anyone doing it; however, if someone were to bolt on the proper turbo and aftercooler, the rotatory pump could easily push enough fuel to the engine to generate lots of power.

#8 ·
We work on an old I believe 94 International 4900 box truck that has around a quarter million miles on it. In-line style injection pump, mechanical. GT4082 turbo. Have to shut it down with a pull-lever haha... She runs great, idles smooth and has a lot of torque. 190HP I want to say she's rated for? Intercooled and such.
The electronic ones generally use the HEUI injection system. I think they went common-rail a few years ago, as the 466 is still produced (now badged "The Legend") and they are still going strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.