4-53 Power Wagon The Rebirth
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4-53 Power Wagon The Rebirth

Thanks

Default 4-53 Power Wagon The Rebirth

What I'm starting with- 1978 Dodge Power Wagon crew cab.
    Engine- 4-53 Detroit Diesel
    Transmission- Allison 4 speed with 3 speed aux, and 2 speed rear end.

2010-06-25_144732..jpg

Obviously its not a bone stock truck I'm going to build from scratch. The truck originally belonged to my grandfather who passed away in 1994 when i was only 2 years old. My mother inherited it and gave it to me. I'm now 18 and plan on going to college and building this truck at the same time.

2010-06-25_143919..jpg
    2010-06-25_144639..jpg
    If you are paying close attention to the picture you will see that it is dually. It sits on a 2 ton ford frame.
    The plans...
    -full air ride suspension
    -air starter
    -air horns (thats all for the air)
    -add a turbo (have no clue on sizing)
    -put modern dodge hips on I might do mega cab hips
    -larger injectors
    -6 inch stacks out side of bed
    -axles maybe
    -1 ton transfer case if I go 4x4
    -mud tires and wheel spacers
    -a sound system
    Last edited by dieharddiesel; 02-21-2011 at 03:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

i like duallies... can't wait to see the pics...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Thanks

Finally I have pictures up
    Last edited by dieharddiesel; 08-14-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks

good... i liked the high exhaust pipe and the one-piece front end...

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

Ya I love the one piece hood too but its a bitch to open and close so I'm gonna put actuators to open and close it. All this was done in the early 80 so the stacks were before it was trendy but I am going to notch the bed and make the stacks larger.

Thanks

This is a neat old truck I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    it's even better that it's been in your family for so long.
    keep us posted on the progress.
    Y2K 4X4 6spd home built twins and extras
    comeing soon 99 Dakota 4X4 et cab 4BT swap

Thanks

I think this thread is never going to stop growing i cant even get started on it for another 6 months i just wanted to get the thread started

Thanks

have you already started to work on the truck?

Thanks

interesting swap! what's the plan for this truck? wheeling? towing?
    Rather be Cummin' than Strokin'

Thanks

Sounds like it's going to be a beautiful truck when finished! I'm doing something similar to my '74 W300, so we may be able to help each other out as the build goes along; I've progressed on mine some, but can't really update the thread since my computer is busted.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...t-Build-Thread

And actually, there were dually 70's dodges; mine is a stock dually - all the power wagons from the fire depts. around here are duallys, and according to the records at the fire station, plus the door tags, they are stock. I also found a truck like mine in Arkansas, so they are around.
    Detroit Diesel - Giving back to mother nature one drop of oil at a time.

Thanks

I realized after I posted I was mistaken I believe it was like a chassy cab dually option. I have not been able to work on the truck because I lived 4 hours away but I'm moving back. I Hope we can throw some ideas around on it when I'm working on it Ill include tons of photos. The plans for the truck is to have a vehicle capable of moving anything I ask it to and drive daily. The truck, I guess, is technically "built" I just have to Rebuild it

Thanks

Yup, once I get a working computer I'll dump all my photos onto my thread, as well as some good descriptions of whats going on. The only problem I haven't figured out yet is with the length of the engine (Yours looks like it fits in pretty well, but then again you're sitting on a 2 ton chassis); I'll have to push the radiator to the outside of it's mount because of the fan pulley.

I'm just glad I'm okay vertically, especially since I have the jakes. The 6" lift gives me an inch to spare when the front springs bottom out.

How do you reckon you'll sit that on 2.5 rockwells? I've considered them but they are quite wide, I've read about the modifications on shortening them, but it's quite extensive and that's something I wouldn't try to weld.
    Last edited by paintstikker; 08-23-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks

have you never considered to use a wooden/stake body to reinforce its thug, rugged, heavier truck-like appearance?

Detroit Section Caretaker Grigg's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paintstikker View Post
    ...The only problem I haven't figured out yet is with the length of the engine ...I'll have to push the radiator to the outside of it's mount because of the fan pulley.
    You can save several inches by not using a mechanical fan (remove fan hub and brackets), either an electric one on the back side, or save a few more inches and put the fan on the front. Although if you have a choice an electric fan works best on the back side with a fan shroud.
    I don't have a mechanical fan, and know numerous folks with 4-53T conversions running electric fans successfully.

Grigg
    1948 Chevrolet 6400 (2 ton) updated with a Detroit Diesel Silver 4-53T and Roadranger RTO-6610 --click for all my pictures--
    "First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Thanks

Have fun! Whoever told you that 70's Dodges couldn't be ordered with a dually rear must drive Chevies or Hyundai's or something...
    Please, READ STICKIES at top of forum sections!

1967 Dodge Town Wagon now D-200+ - CPL 858 - HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm2 Ex/58mm Comp wheel, no W/G, turned fuel pin, twisted screws, 3,200 spring, milled head, '92-'93 CTD intercooler [THANKS BILL!!!] Dodge NV4500, 4.10 DANA 60HD rear, '72 Dodge D-200 front axle, 1 ton+ springs, Air-Lift front airbags, front/rear swaybars, Tom Wood's driveshaft, Hercules All Trac A/T in LT 245/75-16.

Thanks

Cool truck! I'd like to hear more about that front clip. All steel? Bolted or welded together?

1990 Ford F250 SCSB on RCLB frame, 4x4, ZF5, 7.3L IDI, 37s - D60 swap next
    1998 Ford F150 SCSB, 4x2, M5R2 - ex-4.2L, 4BD1T swap in progress

The difference between 65 and 75 MPH is 7 seconds per mile. Slow down and save fuel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
    have you never considered to use a wooden/stake body to reinforce its thug, rugged, heavier truck-like appearance?
    I have no idea what you are talking about?

Thanks

The Front clip is welded from underneath so it maintains the stock look but the hinges are uber complicated I plan on putting helper actuators for opening. There should be enough clearance for a rockwell there's a ton of space from the i-beam axle now. I probably have enough space for a 6v73. Where did you get your jakes I really want some.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dieharddiesel View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about?
    i was talking about this kind of pickup box

i like their style, as you can see these pickups looks stronger than others with a regular pickup box...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grigg View Post
    You can save several inches by not using a mechanical fan (remove fan hub and brackets), either an electric one on the back side, or save a few more inches and put the fan on the front. Although if you have a choice an electric fan works best on the back side with a fan shroud.
    I don't have a mechanical fan, and know numerous folks with 4-53T conversions running electric fans successfully.

Grigg
    Yup, I was thinking around the lines of an electric fan; I'm not a big fan of them but it's the best option that I see for this instance.

How much cfm does yours put out? I have one leftover I used in a pickup with a 440 before I put in an aluminum radiator; I cannot remember the cfm but if it cooled that engine I'm sure it should be able to take care of this one.

Thanks

Diehard - my engine came with Jakes from the factory; the engine came out of Chevy pickup supposedly, but that's all I found out. It was a rather barn find for sure.

Detroit Section Caretaker Grigg's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paintstikker View Post
    How much cfm does yours put out?
    Don't have a fan on it yet, but I'll install the largest one I can fit when I get to that point. Looking at the ones from Spal

Grigg
    1948 Chevrolet 6400 (2 ton) updated with a Detroit Diesel Silver 4-53T and Roadranger RTO-6610 --click for all my pictures--
    "First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Thanks

Alright sounds good I'm sure I will find some eventually. and those flat bed wood panels look good I'm going to throw that idea around some.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dieharddiesel View Post
    Alright sounds good I'm sure I will find some eventually. and those flat bed wood panels look good I'm going to throw that idea around some.
    i always liked these wooden pickup beds... it's not so easier to find newer compact pickups using them but i've found some s10 and rangers using it in my hometown and i must confess i really like these wooden beds more than standard beds...

Thanks

Sweet old rig.

Air starters are a pain, if the air system leaks down,even just a little.I would consider a back up electric compressor like the bagged low rider guys use.I would reconsider the air brakes.It doesn't take much to jam the air actuators open and stopping the brakes from grabbing.They are very exposed and easily damaged when going off road.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Air starters are a pain, if the air system leaks down,even just a little.I would consider a back up electric compressor like the bagged low rider guys use.I would reconsider the air brakes.It doesn't take much to jam the air actuators open and stopping the brakes from grabbing.They are very exposed and easily damaged when going off road.
    i'm not an enthusiast of pneumatic systems for automobile use...
    Last edited by Grigg; 08-27-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: remove unrelated pictures

Thanks

I wouldn't do that with any vehicle.My 71' Buick Skylark will be getting air ride.It will be my highway cruiser.

Thanks

Its all just ideas at this point the everything will be a rebuild for now but it will slowly build up to something better

Thanks

as i believe you're not intending to do those low-rider tricks, the air suspension can work well for you... an auxiliary air horn can be cool too, but i would prefer to have a regular electric horn too... and even with a good air compressor for the suspension and the horn (and some well-capable air tanks) i would prefer not to rely only in air brakes...

+ Reply to Thread