Jeep Cherokee VM to Isuzu Diesel conversion ?? Please help
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jeep Cherokee VM to Isuzu Diesel conversion ?? Please help

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default Jeep Cherokee VM to Isuzu Diesel conversion ?? Please help

Hi... I'm new to the forum and am feeling a little relieved to find that the forum exists. I'm hoping that someone can help with some tips on swapping out a dead VM diesel out of a 1997 Jeep Cherokee for an Isuzu 4JB1-TC, 2.8L turbo 4 cylinder engine. I haven't quite settled on which engine yet but it seems that the Isuzu is a good match to the jeep driveline. I've been told that it can't be done by a workshop but I can't accept that this is the case as the motor is mechanical and the few electrics that there are in a diesel must surely be able to be adapted. I'll be doing the work myself so that will at least make the project more viable. I have heard of a Mercedes 5 cylinder being installed into one of these but I'd rather stay with 4 cyl and later techonlogy. Can anyone tell me if there are any adapter plates available anywhere and if anyone has already done the conversion I'd be very interested to learn from the experience. Cheers & Thanks.
    Last edited by patanga; 08-20-2010 at 04:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

Is the jeep VM diesel any relation to the 2.5 VM diesel used in the 1985 rangerover?
    Isuzu 4BD1T Junkie.

Thanks

in the philippines the isuzu 4jb1 is widely used to repower jeep wranglers, specially if fitted to the ax15 manual transmission...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

New Registered User
    Thanks

I haven't seen the two motors together (i.e. Jeep & Range Rover VM diesels) but they both use the multi head 4 cyl VM of the era and they both seem to suffer from the sam over heating issues so I am making the presumption that they could be the same or similar. Hence the reason to repower to something else.

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patanga View Post
    I haven't seen the two motors together (i.e. Jeep & Range Rover VM diesels) but they both use the multi head 4 cyl VM of the era and they both seem to suffer from the sam over heating issues so I am making the presumption that they could be the same or similar. Hence the reason to repower to something else.
    If that is the case, there are kits from the UK to fit the 4JB1T to rover gearboxes, they might give you most of what is needed.
    Isuzu 4BD1T Junkie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patanga View Post
    i remember a pushrod 2.5L vm motori 4cyl turbodiesel that was used in the argentinian-made cherokee and brazilian-made dodge dakota until 2001... this engine was not already a bad engine, but in the cherokee it had some problems related to head gasket burning...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

+ Reply to Thread