Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Cost to instal 5.9l cummins and trans into Dodge 1 ton p/u

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  twiisted71 
#1 ·
I am curious on what the cost is to instal a new or low mileage 5.9L 24 valve Cummins + new or low mileage Auto. trans into 3rd generation Dodge Ram 3500 (1 ton) pickup that came from the factory with a Cummins and Auto trans.

Just the installation cost , not the cost of the parts.

I was wondering if it might be more cost effective than rebuilding the engine and trans.

I realize costs vary by region, so best estimate will do. Oh and I am in Wisconsin.

#2 ·
Your question is too vague to provide a ballpark answer to. You are asking about swapping a 24V engine in place of a Common Rail. There are too many variables to answer this question. Are you a scrounger or are you going to buy New parts to complete the swap? Are you going to do the work yourself or hire it out? If it's the latter, try contacting some of the diesel shops in your area and see who they'd recommend and proceed from there.

#3 ·
The engine being put in will also be electronic injection.

I was under the impression the 24 valve Cummins 5.9L was a common rail. Didn't Dodge originally use the B5.9L (Mechanical engine) then go to the ISB 5.9L (electronic) then to the QSB 6.7L (electronic) ?

For the engine and trans, it would be new or under 30K miles.

I am looking for a 3rd generation Dodge 1 ton crew cab dually diesel and was wondering if used trucks with around 280,000 miles would be good for another 50-70K and later receive an engine and tranny swap.

#4 ·
The cost of replacing an engine will vary,and it wouldn't cost much if you can do the job yourself,and the cost of the engine varies also.Some recycling yards will replace what they sell.It is harder to put an early engine into the later body because of regulations,and all....so you may be way ahead to just buy a truck with the engine and transmission that you want......

#5 ·
Yes the CR engines have 24 valves. There are common nomenclatures used though that will help in your researching.

1st Gen (Generation) 12 valves with VE (rotary pumps) '89-'93 last couple of years had intercoolers
2nd Gen 12 valves with P7100 inline pump '94-98.5
2nd Gen 24 valve with VP44 pump 98.5 through 2002
3rd Gen Common Rail engines that have 24 valves. 2003 until the 6.7 motors came out

This is a pretty good site to checkout for what you are seeking info on.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.