3 cylinder cummins or 4 cylinder perkins
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 cylinder cummins or 4 cylinder perkins

Thanks

Thumbs up 3 cylinder cummins or 4 cylinder perkins

my uncle gave me his international scout 80,and i want to put either a 4 cylinder perkins in it or a 3 cylinder cummins in it.i figured out how to swap the perkins in the scout.i think the cummins bolt pattern is the same.im kinda for the cummins because it'll give me an excuse to put a cummins C on the scoutwhats yall opinion?what are the differences between them?
    HP
    torque
    bolt pattern
    measurements(length&width&height)
    cool factor
    weights
    ect....

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

are you considering a TURBO 3cyl cummins against a non-turbo 4cyl perkins?
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

I hope your joking about the c series.they weigh like 1600.And are you talking about the sae adapters for the cummins becasue its not the same bolt pattern
    4bta 85 dodge prospector shortbread
    TDC 75 HP sticks,hy35,big ass intercooler,6bt intake box w/ k&n,4" straight w/flow-through magnaflow.Oil filter relocation upgrade (ford 7.3d filter)HUGE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dillenger1 View Post
    I hope your joking about the c series.
    i thought he was talking about that "c" logo, instead of a c-series engine...

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

Maybe first check the availability in your part of the world for both engines before you continue...
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

Thanks

i have the perkins sittin in my garage.i am talking about the cummins logo not c-series.and i can get a turbo for either.im putting scout 2 axles in it. http://www.solutionhybrid.com/jeep.w...ngine.at.30mpg
    1600lbs?its no where near that heavy.

Thanks

whats the SAE# for the cummins?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deuce_09 View Post
    i have the perkins sittin in my garage.
    is it a 4-236? this is already a good option...

Thanks

dont know the specs on it.and my uncle is fabbing up everything for the turbo.

Thanks

Why not use the Nissan SD33T, T-18, Dana 20 from a 1980 Scout II it would be a virtual bolt-in?
    1967 Land Rover Series IIA 109 Hybrid, it is STILL just a pile of parts, someday I may finish......
    Custom Chassis, Air Suspension, Rear Double Triangulated 4-Link, Front 3-Link
    Drivetrain: Taurus Fan -> 4BTA3.9 CPL 0986 Twins? (DeVito/Schwarzenegger style) -> NV4500HD -> Dana 300 -> Dana 44 Front and Rear
    Build-up thread on Pirate4x4 (before I found here)

Thanks

i wouldn't even know where to start looking for a SD33T.

Thanks

There are a bunch of IH forums and they do pop up on Craigslist and other places.
    1967 Land Rover Series IIA 109 Hybrid, it is STILL just a pile of parts, someday I may finish......
    Drivetrain: Taurus Fan -> 4BTA3.9 CPL 0986 Twins? (DeVito/Schwarzenegger style) -> NV4500HD -> Dana 300 -> Dana 44 Front and Rear

Thanks

They pop up becuse they are POS engines. No power, hard to find parts, etc. I Pulled an SD33 out of my Scout and would never go back!
    1978 Scout Terra, SOA, 31" Tires, Cummins 4BT, NV4500HD, NP205, 3.54 Gears
    The Project Never Ends.

-

"A person can be smart, intelligent, ingenious. People... are stupid."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Bladesmith View Post
    They pop up becuse they are POS engines. No power, hard to find parts, etc. I Pulled an SD33 out of my Scout and would never go back!
    I said SD33T, not SD33. There is quite a difference in power - a whopping 3 more HP. but it is a lot more drivable. Sure you're not going to hit 100mph, but I have hit 85mph in a Land Rover 109 hard top with the Scout II SD33T drive train without any problems. It also had no troubles towing a car on a dolly through hilly terrain.

The proposed engines are much lower in power than even the SD33T, so I was making a reasonably easy and simple alternative suggestion. A 4BT is definitely better, but more difficult to fit. It also needs a transmission with an overdrive whereas the SD33T does not

Thanks

instead of the nissan sd33/sd33t i would consider a cummins b3.3...

Thanks

Right, you can get that with the SAE #4 flywheel housing, not sure if the depth to the flywheel face is the same as the SD33T though. But I am not sure you'd want to use it with the T-19 that came in the Scout diesel. Look up Mooktank's B3.3 Explorer for some great ideas. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...ktank+explorer

Thanks

So my uncle was at his house messin with the perkins. ( he's got a **** ton of bellhousings laying around) and after about 4hrs. He calls me and tells me to sit down. Lol then he tells me he has the scout 2 tranny bolted up to the Perkins!! So the next day I swing by his house to see how he did it and he put a tarp over it and told me to BACK OFF like I did something wrong?!? Lol he told me he don't have everything figured out yet and he don't want to get me all worked up about it for nothing. So as far as updates go, we have it bolted together but need to work out the kinks.

Thanks

Is either engine is a variable speed automotive engine.?? Or are they constant RPM power plants? That would be a big consideration. The Perkins is a four cyc and should vibrate less while running smoother. It will not take the abuse the Cummins will. Or put out the same power for that matter. That is as long as they are near the same CC's. If'n i was doing the pickin, I'd think real hard about a different engine.MM

Thanks

This Perkins has a throttle like everything else but on a tractor it locks the throttle wherever you place it and tractors are super low geared. That's why you don't have a gas petal. When you put it in a truck, it's different. You can control the throttle with the pedal and it's not just staying at a constant rpm range. And the gears are super high copared to a tractor. So you'll use the clutch just like a pickup.

Thanks

This Perkins has a throttle like everything else but on a tractor it locks the throttle wherever you place it and tractors are super low geared. That's why you don't have a gas petal.
    i have seen some tractors that had both a throttle pedal AND a hand-activated throttle that locks wherever it's placed... it's used in some military vehicles too, allowing them to have a minimum controllable speed about 4km/h, something around 2.5mph, the average speed of a man walking...

Thanks

Look up deuce and a half ghost ride for laughs. Then for what you said about military vehicles having that, deuces I know for sure have what you talkin about. The pedal is for driving, and the dealio you pull out that locks the throttle is for ( I'm guessing) the pto's. Winch mostly. If anyone has driven a deuce, they know the pedal throttle is very sensitive and hard to keep at a constant rpm range when you have it in neutral to engage the pto. So they used the cable on the dash.( my unproven theory)
    Last edited by deuce_09; 10-04-2010 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks

Look up deuce and a half ghost ride for laughs. Then for what you said about military vehicles having that, deuces I know for sure have what you talkin about. The pedal is for driving, and the dealio you pull out that locks the throttle is for ( I'm guessing) the pto's. Winch mostly. If anyone has driven a deuce, they know the pedal throttle is very sensitive and hard to keep at a constant rpm range when you have it in neutral to engage the pto. So they used the cable on the dash.
    the auxiliary hand throttle command i've seen was not to be used with pto, i have seen it even in vehicles without pto such as some scania and volvo buses... in the case of those buses, once a driver told me that he could almost not use the feet while driving, using the retarder (as we call exhaust-brakes) and the hand throttle in the biggest part of the time, using the service brakes only when really needed to stop the vehicle instead of just reduce its speed...

+ Reply to Thread